1st Time booking Gay Couple

cruisegal320

:) Hello all, this is my first post, please take it easy on me. I am a relatively new travel agent therefore, sometimes I take my time with things to make sure they turn out "great" for my clients. My latest task is booking a cruise for a gay couple, soo sweet, I want to make sure that their first cruise is amazing. Seeking out info for what ship and intinerary is making me nervous. I have heard that the Southern Carib tends to be more "gay friendly" and the Western tends to be "anti-gay". Is there any truth to this? Also, I would love to put them on something quaint and romantic while watching the price. Originally thinking Celeb or Princess but I am wanting to get imput on past experiences. If anyone has anything to say, I would appreciate your advice/opinions!

Thanks!

I do not have any first hand knowledge, but from some of the posts it appears Jamaica is very gay-hostile. I recommend you browse this entire board for posts other than the Roll Calls. There is a lot of useful information here.

yeah lol stear them clear of Jamaica....As far as cruise lines go, everyone has their favorite and I'm sure they will offer there opinions ;) Age, outage, what there looking for, what there not looking for all plays a part....I would hope they would come to you with more of an idea, than you chosing a cruise for them. Wish I could be more help.

Just an FYI the terms of this site are...."ify" when it comes to travel agents so this post may or may not be deleted...dunno...but good luck!

We find the Eastern Caribbean to be great. We were there on Navigator of the Seas last year and had a wonderful time. We loved St. Martin, although they had a very badly handled gay bashing there this winter. Nonetheless, we have plans to return. We always spend our time on the French side and have always been treated well.

In trying to choose a line, I would suggest matching it with their personalities the same you would any couple. If you read this board, you will find all sorts of gays and lesbians arguing for and gainst most of the lines. It's interesting to note that just as many of us are travelling Carnival, NCL, RCL and Celebrity as the more upscale lines. What seems most important is finding a ship that will offer enough activity or rest to satisfy your clients.

cruisegal - we are booked on a southern carib cruise on oct 1 on the carnival destiny. our reasons were, we liked san juan and wanted to spend a little time there prior to the cruise instead of just the typical 8-10 hours a ship is there. we also liked the ports of call. beware, it changes after january 07! the price was good for october. but when you add the airfare to san juan, its probably a wash.

this is our first time on Carnival and only our 2nd cruise. I assume your clients are not wanting an all gay cruise? there is another thread on those located in this forum as well.

but dont get too stressed out about making it perfect for them. no matter how hard you try, something can go wrong and its not your fault.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

In trying to choose a line, I would suggest matching it with their personalities the same you would any couple. If you read this board, you will find all sorts of gays and lesbians arguing for and gainst most of the lines. It's interesting to note that just as many of us are travelling Carnival, NCL, RCL and Celebrity as the more upscale lines. What seems most important is finding a ship that will offer enough activity or rest to satisfy your clients.

My husband and I personally like RCCL for how friendly we were treated on our first cruise in 2004 and will be sailing on them again next month. The important part for first time crusiers is to make sure they don't get bored on the ship...from what i've read throughout the boards every line has it goods and bads, and we all know that what happens on one cruise may not happen on another.

So my biggest suggestion is this:

1)to take the "gay" factor out and suggest the cruises you think they would enjoy.

2)point them to this website so they can read the good and bad reviews for themselves.

3)and have them come to you with their final decision.

This way they will be well informed on what to expect on their cruise and will be able to enjoy it that much more. :D

• 3 months later...

Archived