How do I get the cabin I booked?

artone

I booked cabin E731 on the Diamond Princess..

When Princess sent me my booking infor..I was assigned to a mid-ship cabin on the dolphin deck..I had done my homework and only booked the cruise because e731 was available.

Q. How do I get princess to assign me the cabin I paid for?

I have never been on a princess cruise.

Q. Does this happing a lot?

You were "upgraded". If memory serves, E731 is the extended-balcony cabin equivalent to the famous E729 on the Grand-class ships. When Princess did the cabin category designations for the Diamond and Sapphire, E731 was coded as AE, the "guarantee" category, not AD as it is on the Grand-class ships. Unless you had your booking marked as "do not upgrade", you can moved out of that cabin into a higher category mini. I'm just speculating, mind you, but I suspect if you try to book E731 without an upgrade, you might be quoted a much higher price.

I knew this question would come up sooner or later. I'll be interested to see how this works out. Call your TA if you booked through one, or call Princess if this is a direct booking, and see if it can be switched back - theoretically, any upgrade can be refused.

I booked cabin E731 on the Diamond Princess..

When Princess sent me my booking infor..I was assigned to a mid-ship cabin on the dolphin deck..I had done my homework and only booked the cruise because e731 was available.

Q. How do I get princess to assign me the cabin I paid for?

I have never been on a princess cruise. Q. Does this happing a lot?

Apparently your TA did not notify Princess that you did not want to be considered for a complimentary upgrade. When ever you book a certain cabin and only want that cabin you must make sure Princess is told that.

I'm just speculating, mind you, but I suspect if you try to book E731 without an upgrade, you might be quoted a much higher price.
The price you originally paid for E731 will not go up for you. If that AE category was on a promo you may have had a great deal and now the price may have increased but that does not change your price. Now if you just booked a guarantee AE thinking you'd get E731 who knows what the policy would be to have E731. Your fare will not go up unless you upgrade.

Bob is so right. If you book a cabin you want to keep, ALWAYS tell your TA "no" upgrade!!!

so what your saying is....I have to take the cabin I don't want.?

I was really looking forward to this vacation. and now I really don't want to go at all....

But, it is very likely that the person who they put in your cabin is happy with it, see if they will take the "upgrade" and from now on use a TA who knows what to do or atleast what questions to ask. Good luck.

Artone, It is possible to get your cabin back. Call you TA and tell them you did not want the upgrade. It is possible Princess can move the people in it to another cabin and put you back, Just contact the Ta as soon as possible. You are new to Princess and we are trying to help you the best way we can. Don't give up untll you know the outcome.!! :)

The price you originally paid for E731 will not go up for you. If that AE category was on a promo you may have had a great deal and now the price may have increased but that does not change your price.
I agree, the price shouldn't go up. What I am speculating about (and should have been more clear) is that the AE category is used internally as a placeholder for new guarantee bookings. Princess is famous for assigning cabins on guarantees and then sending out Upgrade notices. On the Grand, the AE cabins are D109/110, so any move is going to look good. When the cabins were designated differently on the Diamond, the AE category cabins became the two that are among the most desirable. I assumed at the time that Princess was looking for premium pricing on those two cabins if someone wanted to book them specifically, since they are so popular.

Not that this helps Artone, but I found it interesting that the cabins in question were given a different category code.

How disappointing for you! I agree with the others advice. Call your TA ASAP and pray for a good result.

We have booked cabin E731 for our cruise in February. I did instruct our TA to mark the booking no upgrade except to full suite...not likely but you never know :D

Good Luck you you. I hope you get your cabin back!!!

Artone, It is possible to get your cabin back. Call you TA and tell them you did not want the upgrade. It is possible Princess can move the people in it to another cabin and put you back, Just contact the Ta as soon as possible. You are new to Princess and we are trying to help you the best way we can. Don't give up untll you know the outcome.!! :)

Sue:

Thank your very much for helping me understand this.

I will contact the travel agent.

We booked an aft cabin on the Caribbean Princess and I told my travel agent to mark the booking "no upgrade". I check the personalizer everyday to make sure the cabin number hasn't changed. This is one time we don't want to be upgraded.

i just called princess...my oringinal cabin is no longer available.

and..only the t.a. can change the assignment.

it was my 'novice' mistake.

i cant afford to lose my deposit..so ill have to go on the cruise.

I don't think it was your "novice" mistake. The TA should have explained all of this to you!!!!!!

Sorry you don't have the room you want but you will have a great cruise despite it. When we first cruised we had to have the exact cabin we wanted but have since learned it doesn't really make that much difference. All cruises are great - just being on the ship- and you really do very little except sleep in the room. Unless you have another couple or a large family traveling with you all the balconies are more than adequate.

I hope you won't let the balcony thing put you in a poor frame of mind for your cruise. It is not your fault, either, it is the TA's. The upgrade notification should have gone to the TA, who then had 24 hours to ask you if wanted to accept or turn down the move. You might want to give your TA a call and discuss this.

Still, you get to go on a cruise! Enjoy. :)

If only your travel agent can change it find out why they did it and make them change it back.

I was just checking rates @ Travelocity, and every sailing I checked for the AE cabins on the Diamond or Sappire (only 2, E728 & E731) had significantly higher rates. There is no option of guarantee for this category either. My feeling is that Princess knew there were only 2 of these coveted cabins and couldn't add a higher category as AA is already taken so they called it AE and made the pricing higher. The 2 similar cabins on the Dolphin deck aren't nearly as attractive because: they are totally exposed and the 2 lower twin beds are NOT convertible to a queen because of the cabin configuration.

If I were in this situation, I would forego the mini-suite (unless there are more than 2 of you) and choose either E732, E735, D740 or D741. They have extra-large balconies, are aft so you see the wake, and are a BB category cabin, less money.

Guest caribcruzin

Artone...you will not lose your deposit unless you ahve made final payment. Deposits are 100% refundable up until final payment. Since you state..that now you do not want to go at all...just cancel and your money will be refunded. Next time....make sure you deal with a TA who will let you know what to expect

Artone, You don't mention WHEN this cruise is, but a non-holiday sailing has a 100% refund if cancelled within 75 days of sailing.

I doesn't matter if you have paid in full for the cruise, if it is before the 75 days you can cancel. The majority of cruisers wait until the final payment is due to pay the total. The final payment date is also the cancellation date with no penalties. I know some people who pay for their cruises sooner though. In those cases they would receive ALL of their money back if they cancelled before that magical 75 days before the cruise. You also have the option of changing categories/cabins and receive a refund for the price difference if you change to a lower cost cabin if you are more than 75 days out.

Sunnyv --Are the AFT cat. BB cabins - D741 & E735 the same size as the Caribe deck cabins? Interior Size The same?? and Balcony Size? the same?? Are they fully covered??? 1/2 covered?? or fully exposed?? Thanks - On my cruise the Caribe Deck AFT cabins are taken --- if the Dolphin and/or Emerald Deck AFT Cabins are the same size - I will switch--- Thanks

Artone, You don't mention WHEN this cruise is, but a non-holiday sailing has a 100% refund if cancelled within 75 days of sailing.

cruise is in september 2004......final payment already made.

i should have considered what the word 'upgrade' meant....

the cruise is to alaska..Ive been to alaska several times...not on a cruise.

my girlfriend now needs a wheelchair to get around, so we cant go to places like alaska the way we used to.....cruising is a workaround for us.

if i go on another cruise..ill do things right.

I wish you TA had asked about the wheel chair also, there are cabins in most categories that are handicap accessable and are HUGE in crucial ares like bathroom, who ever you booked with shouldn't get another dime of your money, there are so many good TA's out there.

I wish you TA had asked about the wheel chair also, there are cabins in most categories that are handicap accessable and are HUGE in crucial ares like bathroom, who ever you booked with shouldn't get another dime of your money, there are so many good TA's out there.

She is not 'wheelchair bound'...just needs one to get around without too much pain. We requested a wheelchair for the cruise....

When I registered at princess.com.....I got a 'no wheelchairs available' error message. Hopefully that meant they already had one for us.

When I registered at princess.com.....I got a 'no wheelchairs available' error message. Hopefully that meant they already had one for us.

Artone, I don't think I would assume what that error message meant. If your girlfriend needs a wheel chair even occasionaly, I would contact your TA and if that doesn't work PRINCESS and CONFIRM the availability of the use of the wheel chair. You don't need any additional "misunderstandings" to make this a less than GREAT Cruise :confused:

Archived