Artemis Jan 2006 - Malaria Tablets Needed?

tommygirl1983

hi everyone,

i'm booked on the artemis cruise from southampton to singapore in jan 2006 and wondered if anyone had been on a far/middle east cruise and taken malaria tablets?

there are apparently minimal risks in vietnam, malasia and thailand etc but my doctor is unsure whether the risk is sufficient enough to commit so much to taking these pills?

Thanx v much for any guidance!!

I'm new to all this cruise business ;-)

tommygirl1983 x

We've been to SE Asia several times, and according to US CDC, anti-malaria medication was not needed. Requirements do change, we always check with our local health department before going "exotic".

We did take anti-malaria (among other things) for the Amazon when we cruised there in '91.

Enjoy Artemis, she was one of our favorities when she was Royal Princess; we sailed four times (56 days total) on her.

That is interesting info re Mumbai (Bombay). We are scheduled to be there 12-14-06, on Oceania's Nautica (Istanbul to Singapore via the Suez).

When we checked last month, there were no health advisories. Of course, we will check again closer to our departure. We try to keep up-to-date on health advisories, as I have some respiratory/pulmonary issues.

Hi,

We are also on the cruise. As well as the one before. We are not going into a Malaria zone. I posted on the PO roll call but no one replied. You seem to be the first. Are you American? I am an American and my girlfriend is an Australian. Looking foward to departure in about 100 days.

Jeffrey

Thankyou for all your responses!

Guess i'll have to check again with my doctor as we are stopping off at Mumbai - didn't seem to know much when i last enquired tho :-(

Is there any other organisations / people who i could contact to clarify? Or a site to find out about the most up to date health advice?

In response to Jeffrey - i'm not american i'm afraid, am english - but is great to hear off someone who's gonna be there - can't wait! Think i'll be the youngest on the ship so i'll probably stick out like a sore thumb!? ;-D

Thanx all!

Tommygirl1983

You say you are stopping in Mumbai but in your first post you say you are only going to Sinapore and Bombay is on the return to the UK. If the 1983 is the year you were born then you most likely be the youngest. By far.

Hi, I am Australian and have lived and cruised in Asia quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about Malarials:

1, you are on a ship. Mozzies don't tend to fly out to sea and you are in port for a very short period of time relatively speaking.

2. Any risk can be addressed by wearing a DDT mozzire repellant and long sleeves and pants - thin light cotton is the go, and also culturally appropriate.

3. Many anti malarials have unplesant side effects

4. The malaria spreading mozzies are tend to be early morning ones- in the head of mid day they are not about as much. Same goes for dengue fever. They also abound in wet, vegetated areas - you are unlikely to be in such places for long.

5. If your doctor can't look this stuff up and get an accurate opinon, get another doctor. There are countless travel medicine sites on the web too.

We are considering this cruise, may see you there.

Hi lahore,

thanx for your advice - have heard they have some nasty side effects and i think they can be pretty expensive too? Can i just ask.. what's does DDT stand for? Is that jungle formula? It's great to hear from someone who's 'been there and done that' - makes me feel a little more reassured!

Hi Jig,

Yes, i only put a few of the stops down coz they were the one's i thought would carry the most risk with malaria - also couldn't be bothered writing them all down as we're going to so many! ;-) can't wait!!

& yes i'm 22 so should be an experience! Really doesn't bother me tho as the whole trip sounds so fantastic so i'm sure life on board won't be age-specific!

Hi, just off the cuff I have no clue what DDT stands for, but I think I meant DEET - it's a well known ingredient in mosquito repellants,serious ones. Skip all the hippy fancy lavender and citronella stuff - you need serious chemistry. I suggest you try a camping store, army surplus, travel medicine, backpacker ...any of these types of stores. Or else, online travel goods stores or travel medicine brokers. I can't vouch for England, but every camping shop or even supermarket in Australia would have this. Maybe even try ebay.

Hi,

Are you sailing from the UK to Singapore On dec 2 or Singapore to UK on Jan 10? Then you are going to India. we are getting off in Singapore. was in Bombay last two years on the Star Princess and the Pacific Princess.

Jeffrey

Archived