Spirt Balcony and Suite Selection

Bazel

We are currently considering a cruise on Carnival Spirit. I have never been on this class of ship and am unfamiliar with the deck plans. We are considering both standard balconies and a cat 11 suite as the sailing we are eyeing has some good prices...

For those who have sailed on the Spirit can you offer any general tips about balcony cabin/suite selection. I would like to know things like if due to tiered decks passengers on the verandah deck look down into the empress deck balconies for example.

Finally - I would appreciate some first hand feedback from someone who has sailed in a suite on Carnival. Any special amenites that make it worth the extra money or are you just buying space?

Thanks,

BZ

We are currently considering a cruise on Carnival Spirit. I have never been on this class of ship and am unfamiliar with the deck plans. We are considering both standard balconies and a cat 11 suite as the sailing we are eyeing has some good prices...

For those who have sailed on the Spirit can you offer any general tips about balcony cabin/suite selection. I would like to know things like if due to tiered decks passengers on the verandah deck look down into the empress deck balconies for example.

Finally - I would appreciate some first hand feedback from someone who has sailed in a suite on Carnival. Any special amenites that make it worth the extra money or are you just buying space?

Thanks,

BZ

BZ,

I did not have a suite on my May 17th sailing to Alaska, but I had a Cat 8A balcony on Main deck. I loved the balcony on Main Deck. ( 4229). I could not see any other balconys and they could not see into mine. I loved the Spirit. She is a beautiful ship. You will love it! We had no problems the week we were on her!:D Did notice a vibration in the Empire dining room but it was not bad at all.

Enjoy your cruise on the Beautiful Spirit!

Julie

Can't comment specifically on the Spirit...yet. I have booked the Cat 11 aft wraparound balcony suite for Alaska next year. Can't wait!!!

I can, however, comment on Carnival's suites. I only sail in Cat 11 or Cat 12's. I like Cat 11's because they are bigger - and so is the balcony (99% of the time, anyway). While we don't spend a lot of time in our cabins, the extra space means a lot while we are there. The bathrooms are at least twice as big as a regular cabin. The tub is a nice option, too. I have found that I do end up spending more time on my balcony than I used to when I didn't book a suite. It is nice to have access to the Skippers Club for boarding. If you get to port early, it isn't that big of a deal (except you have somewhere to sit rather than stand) - but if you get there later and there are long lines, it is very, very nice to be able to bypass the lines and check in through the Skippers Club.

If you have any specific questions about Cat 11's, I'll be more than happy to answer what I can.

I've had a cat. 8 cabin and a cat. 11 suite on the Spirit Class ships. The cat. 8 was great for just 2 people. If you decide to go the suite route, I just have one piece of advice. If you can't get a corner, aft wrap around balcony suite, go for one that is mid ship. Stay away from the ones that are on the side but almost aft (right next to the aft corner suites). There's nothing wrong with these cabins but the balconies are the smallest of all the suites because they are not extended like the ones mid ship. When we had one of these (6258) it was actually a free upgrade and there were 4 of us in the cabin so it was fantastic but if I had paid for a suite, I would have chosen one with a bigger balcony.

Beach4me,

You will love the aft wrap, we had 4237 on the Miracle in May and have 4228 booked on the Legend. The wraps on deck 4 have a little bit bigger balcony and more of an overhang above. The slant of the ship starts on deck 5 where people can see in from above. We loved the Spirit class, very easy to find your way around. We also looked at the suites mid ships and they were okay, lots of room, and unless someone really wants to see you the balconies were decent sized. Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Jess

We (5 couples) were in Category 11 suites on the Spirit a couple of years ago, and last week we (this time 2 couples) were in Category 8 cabins on the Pride (identical sister ship), so maybe I can help with your questions. The suites were very roomy and elegant, and if the price is not EXTREMELY more, I would go with that. Go with the midship cabins. Balconies are private and great! Having said that, when we (2 couples) booked our Pride cruise, the only suites left were 2 aft (not the extreme back of the ship, but next to it), across the ship from each other, so we decided to go with cabins on the Verandah deck, next to each other, and we were not disappointed! There was plenty of room for us and our "things", the bathroom was more than

adequate (I'll give you a tip about this later), the balcony had a chair, lounge, and small table and was plenty large enough to relax and watch the world go by. We were in Cabins #7249 and #7251 and I highly recommend this location! The atrium elevators are right outside your door, other elevators and stairs as well, and 2 decks up you walk almost right into the Mermaids Grill. We loved it! The balcony above does not look down on you (they are not tiered).

Here's my bathroom tip: Go to the spa to shower and shave your legs! In fact, go to the spa!! There's a GREAT hot tub kind of in the middle, surrounded by glass so you can see people working out as well as see the ocean. The shower rooms are large, there are towels in the ladies locker room, there's sauna and steam rooms.......We really enjoyed taking advantage of all the spa had to offer!

Hope my comments help -

Beach4me,

You will love the aft wrap, we had 4237 on the Miracle in May and have 4228 booked on the Legend. The wraps on deck 4 have a little bit bigger balcony and more of an overhang above. The slant of the ship starts on deck 5 where people can see in from above. We loved the Spirit class, very easy to find your way around. We also looked at the suites mid ships and they were okay, lots of room, and unless someone really wants to see you the balconies were decent sized. Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Jess

Excellent news, Jess! I'm SO looking forward to this suite! We are up on deck 7 -7 & 8 were the only options when we booked. I think I'll like 7 just fine. ;)

The funny thing is that I just booked a Hawaiian cruise on the Norwegian Sun - and booked a penthouse suite at the very front of the ship! I've never had an aft suite...and, I've never had a bow suite either. I'll have both within a few months of each other.

Happy sailing!

I researched this extensively (through these boards--thanks, everyone!) and here is what I found out about the Spirit class Cat 11s:

Aft is the way to go...4228, 4237, 6260, 6328, 7298, 7347, 8273, and 8268 are all actually TWO separate rooms, living and bedroom, with the very large corner wrap balcony. The aft wraps on deck 5 are NOT two separate rooms, nor are any of the other cat 11s--side aft or midship. The aft wraps on deck 4 have the best balcony because they are closer to the water and have a larger overhang.

Because we REALLY want the two rooms, as well as aft, we were very lucky to snag 4237. Check into it.......

Judy

I highly recommend Cabin 7301, its a very nice Large Cat. 9a Suite as big as the Cat 11a, its also alot cheaper, double the balcony space and all. Check it out on the Deck Plan, This Cabin we scored on an Upgrade and would book it again.

Fred

Archived