Help with booking rooms - NCL Spirit

To make a long story short. We are relatively new to cruising, and now that our girls are grown and ALMOST finished with college we can afford to take vacations. I must admit I am a little intimidated asking stupid questions when most of you guys, especially Shoreguy are so experienced and educated in the art of crusing, but with that risk I am asking what is the better to take a mid-ship room (much to our surprise we do not get seasick) aft or fwd and is there a difference in an aft balcony versus mid balcony and is it worth it to take insurance? We are in a BA balcony in Sept. forward. And is it economically better to book another cruise while on this cruise or book on your own. Thank you everyone for such a informative site, we do appreciate you guys!:)

...........I must admit I am a little intimidated asking stupid questions ......., but with that risk I am asking what is the better to take a mid-ship room (much to our surprise we do not get seasick) aft or fwd and is there a difference in an aft balcony versus mid balcony and is it worth it to take insurance? ...... Thank you everyone for such a informative site, we do appreciate you guys!:)

No stupid questions at all, welcome to the boards.

I prefer a midship cabin and it has nothing at all to do with seasick..If I start mdship I am already 1/2 way to where I need to go most times vs foreward or aft :-) usually .

I take cruise insurance if I think there may be a health ssue that may cause a cancellation but then again. there are health issues that pop up unexpectantl and while cruising the insuance pas to get me back to proper health care and OFF the ship (which is VERY costly out of pocket), that being said I by it from a private insurere rather than the booking agent--there are many threads about Insurance here.

always book late so I never book onboard and since I don't want a special cabin that may be reserved before I get to book the cruise, I have that option and sometimes save $$$..sometimes get locked out too :mad:

Have a great trip and again.welcome

Please do not feel bad asking questions that is what this board is all about. There is a search link that can also help but most people here are very helpful and happy to help.

In regard to your cabin question we always book balcony, midship but I am prone to sea-sickness. I hear many people rave about the aft cabins. I believe that if you are on a lower deck you may hear some of the ships vibrations but a little higher is probably best on an aft but I'm sure those that have stayed in those cabins can better assist you with that one. We have always loved our balconies mid-ship.

We always take insurance, we both are in our mid 50's and have elderly parents so we would rather be safe than sorry. We take the insurance immediately when we book the cruise due to the fact that it covers pre-existing illnesses, if someone were to get sick. We use Travelguard not the cruise line with good or better coverage for less.

Re, booking while on a cruise, this is our experience, others may have had better luck, We were looking in to booking on the Dawn for next summer for the 2 of us, mid-ship, balcony, approx 9th deck they quoted us a price over $3000.00. When we looked at booking at home it was around $2500 for the same cat. cabin, same date. My TA gets us better prices than I have been able to find anywhere. I'm sure there are better deals but I know her and trust her and she is close by so it is very convenient.

We also have 3 kids and our last is a junior in college. 2 down 1 to go. Last year we had double payments so this year should be a breeze...Yeah right...LOL!!

Have a great time planning and ASK AWAY!!

One more thing. We were on the Spirit in June along with NJBear ("Hi NJBear"), and it is truly a beautiful ship. We traveled for our last family vacation with our 3 adult kids, and the memories are priceless. (When I say last family vacation, the last one that mom and dad foot the bill), hopefully we'll have more. Our cabin was 9612 balcony and our kids were 9611 inside, directly across the hall, the location was great and like NJ said you are halfway to everything. We were about 2 cabins from the elevator and never heard a sound. Like I said we thouroughly enjoyed everything about the Spirit!!

Archived