CocoCay & NassauSnorkeling or Stingray excursion

hjoe1112

Hi All,

I have 3 boys - 6, 10 ,14 and we are cruisin to the Bahamas on RCL Sovereign of the Seas in August.

Tough decision with the snorkeling on Nassau - should we do the Stingray adventure or Stuart Cove Snorkeling? Any recommendations? - I don't think we can do both. We dock in at 7am and leave 11pm.

On Coco Cay - any suggestions on excursions - or can we just wing it on the island? Heard waverunners are fun.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!:)

Coco Cay is basically a beach day. We like it there. The waverunners are cool there, but be advised this is not a " on your own " excursion. You will do a follow the leader type of thing. Its still a good tour, we did it twice and had fun both times and it lasts about 45 / 50 mins after you watch a safety video. You can also rent kyaks, parasail or grab a matt and float, and my favorite...snorkel. Any other questions...?

Have fun...

Thanks Keith for the info.

I heard that Coco Cay was so so (not too many fish to see) with respect to snorkeling - is there somewhere in particular that you found to be good for snorkeling there? Is it necessary to do an excursion (ie more money to shell out) for snorkeling in Coco Cay or can we do it on our own?

That's why we were thinking of going on the snorkeling excursion in Nassau. I read that it was great for snorkeling there.

The only bad thing about going in August, is that its really hot. I was told once that when the water is too warm, the fish may move to cooler / deeper water. I have been to Coco Cay in cooler months per se' and the fish were plentiful and many different kinds. We even saw spotted rays and eels. The spot I went to is about 100 yds to the left of where the waverunners go out. There is some nice coral and a small reef.

I have never gone snorkeling in Nassau, but I am sure there are some good areas. We have gone to Atlantis once and the last time we went to a beach and rented waverunners there too. That was on your own, but the sea was coppy and we couldnt go very fast.

As far as snorkel equipment goes, we take our own. We figured, its clean, becuase we used it and not 100 people, and for the price of the snorkel package in the stores, it would pay for its self in a few excursions.

Have fun....

I am sure you will enjoy Coco Cay. Like I said earlier, its basically a beach day and not the hustle and bustle of other ports. My DW and I like it there and I am sure you will too. Worse case...you'll have good ribs at the lunch buffett.... : )

Have Fun.... I wish I was going too. I have to wait until March when we do the Southern on Serenade.

Archived