Tips from previous Hawaii Cruisers

tejmar

I had posted this before, but I guess it is gone now so I have no choice other than posting it again.

We're taking the 19-day circle island tour in Sept. and would like to get some tips on some of the shore excursions. Relatives of ours have just recently vacationed at two of the islands that we will be touring and told us that some of the sites we want to see could probably be done on our own. One in particular is the volcano park. They told us that it wasn't a problem at all to tour the park on your own. Since we really didn't know the proximaty of the port in relation to the park, we have no idea if getting there would be a problem.

As far as Oahu is concerned my wife has been there twice and I was there once myself. The week we vacationed there together, we had no problem getting public transportation to most of the sites in Wakiki and Honolulu and one day we rented a car and drove all over the island. From the what we have seen of the excurions offered for Oahu there was nothing offered that we haven't already done so we will definitely be doing our own thing while there for 2 days.

Will will also stop at Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui. Many of the tours offered at these islands are of interest to us. Neither of us has been there before and therefore we would be very interested in anyone's experiences there and any of the excursions anyone has taken including any recommendations which would be welcomed. We would also be interested in reading about anyone's experience touring on their own at any of these islands.

The reason that I am particularly interested in touring the volcano park myself is that I have a mining background and obviously have an interest in geology. That's why I would like to have some time to explore on my own rather than take a bus tour.

We did the circle cruise Thanksgiving 2002 and loved it. The only problem with planning your trips on your own and ahead of time is the possibility that the ship may be delayed. We had to turn back to San Diego three hours out because of a medical emergency and got to Hilo late and some tours were cancelled. We did Mauna Kea which was quite an experience. You are in Maui for quite a long time and it would be safe to plan on getting a car and doing your own trip. I read a review posted on an RCI board by a couple that booked rental cars in advance, they were met at the pier and off they went. Everything worked out well for them and sounded like a great idea.

You'll love the trip, especially if you enjoy days at sea.

Cauvet,

I was on that same cruise with you. Was a great trip, though the delay was unfortunate. Chris and I were bumped from one of our tours at Hilo and had to take an alternative ... it was nice nevertheless.

As for do-it-yourself land excursions ... I understand that there are many options available for that, if you want to do it. It may just be as simple as renting a car for pick up a the port. On that Thanksgiving cruise in 2002 I met a couple at lunch one day who were planning on going to the volcanos on their own; I don't know how it turned out for them, but they had rented a car and were going to drive up to the Volcanos National Park on their own for some exploring.

One suggestion I would have would be to run a google on the port in question and the type of activity you want to do there. That might turn up firms that provide that kind of excursion service. :) Just a suggestion.

Tejmar: I've sailed Hawaii on both Statendam and on the Rhapsody OTS, Legend OTS, and Radiance OTS (RCI). The excursions are basically the same on various lines. Here are some links to some of the reviews I've written on Hawaii cruises. Hope it helps you some.

Statendam Review - Circle Hawaii

http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=898

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii to Vancouver

http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=819

Legend of the Seas - Hawaii to Vancouver

http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=990

Radiance of the Seas - Vancouver to Hawaii

http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=1044

Have a great cruise and enjoy all those wonderful sea days as well !!!

Dave

We pre-rented a Budget car in Hilo, and except for the part that no one was there to meet us at the dock we had a great day. One of the guest host ladies called Budget for us and after we were picked up all went smoothly. We wanted to go to the Volcano Park and we did, all at our own pace. Spent so much time at the site of the active lava that we didn't get to see the lava tube, but before then we spent alot of time just wandering around the whole park at our own pace...it was great!! Walked around the giant crater from the older eruptions and jumped over crevices and walked right to the edge of the old crater (don't tell your Moms!!). There is still steam in the old parts and the hardened lava near the new action is still very hot...very interesting. Go on your own if you can!

Penny

Rent A Car!!

We used Hertz because we are gold members and so we didn't have to waste time filling out paperwork. The reservations agent gave me a phone number for the local station to call from the port from a pay phone once we were ready for a pickup. That worked great-- our wait for the van was anywhere from five to ten minutes.

It was VERY easy to drive around... they are islands, so it's no problem at all to find your way back to the main road.

Hawaii is the one cruise where I recommend totally staying away from the ship excursions.

Rental cars are easy to get, easy to find attractions/sites, you get to see "more" and of course a rental car is MUCH cheaper.

Doing your own shore excursions is not always the best advice on cruises... but again, Hawaii is the great exception.

You don't need a tour guide to see many of the natural sites and parks. (Do check web for Maui Downhill for a great and easy bike ride.)

With the exception of Oahu (Honolulu/Waikiki) you are doing yourself a disservice if you book excursions through the ship. Of course, you already know about Honolulu, so you don't need any advice for that.

Definitely take a helicopter tour in Kauai, it was the best day we've ever had in the islands. We rented the car (rental agency picks you up/drops you off) went to our helicopter tour, then drove around and stopped at Kilauea (sp) Lighthouse, then on to Hanalei for a drive, then had lunch at the Princeville Resort. We had a great time one year taking a snorkle tour in Maui, another good place is Kona for snorkeling. Maui is so beautiful, it's a shame not to rent a car and drive yourself, so you will be able to make stops. The Volcano Nat'l Park is another definite do it yourself trip. We were very disappointed in our tour, not only did the bus crawl along, they stopped at a macadamia nut farm for a longer time than they did at the volcano.

Stay away from the "free shuttles" into any town, they are free shuttles to Hilo Hatties, a fun store, but not my idea of a vacation destination. Don't listen to me if you like to souvenir shop, for me it's a waste of precious vacation time.

Hawaii is my favorite place to go for vacation, you'll have an awesome trip.

Hi all, Thank you for the welcome on the other thread. made me :) any way could someone explain how you rent a car in advance to your Docking at the ports please?? I will be cruising the turn around on the statendam to Hawaii and don't really understand who to call or when to call or just plain how to do it. I will be traveling 15 days December21-January 5. any help would be truely appreciated. Thank you friends:D

The last two times we circled the islands by ship we rented a car in every port. I called Hertz and gave them the itinerary. The Hertz agent set up the reservations and sent me an email confirmation of each reservation. I was given a weekly rate. Hertz has a website but it isn't very user friendly. Avis will do the same for you so you might call them both and compare pricing.

On one cruise we were in port over night in Maui and on the other we were over night in Kauai. Having the car allowed us to go to dinner off ship. Both times we chose a Hyatt Hotel. Believe me, The Hyatt Regency Kauai is a shore excursion in itself. I've been to lots of wonderful, exotic hotels. This hotel, however, will take your breath away. I would suggest dinner at "Tide Pools" .

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Circle Hawaii tour 3 years ago -- all of the ports/docks will have taxi's waiting for customers - so if you have a destination in mind - you can certainly get there on your own.

When in Honolulu - take advantage of the luau trip if you've never experienced that - wonderful show, beautiful spot and our particular guide was hilarious !!

Also - don't forget Pearl Harbor - a must see.

Enjoy your trip ! We are going again in December :-)

Archived