Verizon wireless service?? Does it work??

JohnT106

I just called Verion wireless and asked if my cell phone would work and they told me no. I just thought that being it worked off of satellites it would work. So my question is... has Bermuda have cell phone service??

I just called Verion wireless and asked if my cell phone would work and they told me no. I just thought that being it worked off of satellites it would work. So my question is... has Bermuda have cell phone service??

I made a few calls to ssay "hi from Bermuda" on my Verizon cell. Expect to pay a surcharge of about 61c per minute though!

First of all cell phones dont work off of satellites. You cell phone gets the call from a cell. Hence the name cell phone. That said your Verizon cell phone will work in Bermuda. They have a roaming partner there, the name escapes me, but that does not matter, yur phone will work. Since you are roaming you will be charged 69 cents a minute.

• 4 weeks later...

Our Verizon Wireless phone worked beautifully while in Bermuda last week. We had a nice, clear signal, and were connected instantly with the States. Yes, Bermuda has CDME service (the Verizon protocol). As was mentioned previously, we were on "roam," and will pay extra for these calls.

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

To be sure that your Verizon phone will work, call (don't bother with the store, they can't do it) 611 to have a supervisor qualify your phone for the international service. Our cabin neighbors had the same physical phone but had not called for the upgrade in service and were unable to use the Bermuda company.

To be sure that your Verizon phone will work, call (don't bother with the store, they can't do it) 611 to have a supervisor qualify your phone for the international service. Our cabin neighbors had the same physical phone but had not called for the upgrade in service and were unable to use the Bermuda company.

We also called 611 to Cingular to check whether we needed to be converted to international service. We were told that all cingular phones are now set to international service. We will be charged $1.99 a minute roaming charge though. That is a lot higher than the .69 a minute of Verizon but does beat the 6.99 charge on the ship. My wife called home last year and the 15 minute call was over $100. Ouch. Our contract with Cingular is up and we were thinking of changing to Verizon, but am not sure if it is that much cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Using a cell phone in Bermuda is easy if you follow the correct procedures like...

1. Ensure that your cell phone charger has the correct plug for Bermuda. Bermuda uses the same plugs as the United States, so unless your charger was purchased in another country, you should not need a plug adaptor. If your charger has a different plug type, purchase plug adaptors "A" and "B" from an electronics store before you leave home so that you can charge your cell phone while in Bermuda.

2.Use a transformer that can handle 120 volts, which is the voltage used in Bermuda, when charging your cell phone. You might destroy your phone if you do not use the correct transformer.

3Inform your cell phone provider that you will be traveling to Bermuda and ask if they offer coverage there. Inquire about being upgraded to international roaming.

4.Consider renting a cell phone or SIM card to use with your personal cell phone if your cellular company does not offer coverage in Bermuda.

5.Know how to dial locally within Bermuda. Bermuda does not have area codes, so just simply dial the phone number.

6.Understand how to call the United States from Bermuda. First dial "011" (this is the international prefix to dial outside of Bermuda). Then dial "1" (this is the international code used to dial to the U.S.). Follow that by the area code and phone number.

Using a cell phone in Bermuda is easy if you follow the correct procedures like...

6.Understand how to call the United States from Bermuda. First dial "011" (this is the international prefix to dial outside of Bermuda). Then dial "1" (this is the international code used to dial to the U.S.). Follow that by the area code and phone number.

To call the US and Canada from Bermuda, do not dial 011, just 1 ie 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

if someone calls and I DO NOT pick up, that doesn't cost anything does it?

I have Verizon and ATT, doesn't seem that one out weighs the other

On my blackberry, will I be able to get emails? or does that cost like a text message? Because with ATT, receiving Texts are free I believe, so does that mean I can get outlook emails for free?

I have Verizon wireless and just checked with them on availability as we leave for Bermuda this Saturday. I was told that they had to enable international calling and that it would be 1.99 per minute for all calls to US and Canada.

Also confirmed that dialing 011 would not be necessary when calling the US.

if someone calls and I DO NOT pick up, that doesn't cost anything does it?

I have Verizon and ATT, doesn't seem that one out weighs the other

On my blackberry, will I be able to get emails? or does that cost like a text message? Because with ATT, receiving Texts are free I believe, so does that mean I can get outlook emails for free?

Your domestic plan does not apply when you are roaming off of the ATT network. Texts will not be free.

E-mail is not SMS texts, it is data. If you leave the data on, on your Blackberry, you are likely to get a huge bill because your Blackberry is frequently polling the server for e-mail.

I also wanted to remind you of the importance in updating the software all your

phones once every 90 days while you are in the United States and prior to

leaving the United States for your trip. As Verizon Wireless continues to expand

our network and add more countries to our International Roaming list, it is

important to update your software to receive optimal coverage when traveling.

To update your phone, please follow the simple instructions below while on the

Verizon Wireless network and receiving a digital signal:

1. Power on your Verizon Wireless phone.

2. Dial *228 followed by the "Send" key.

3. When prompted, press option "2" to update your roaming capabilities.

Within two minutes, a voice recording will advise you that programming is

complete. Remain on the line, as the call will disconnect automatically.

You can submit a new email from our "Contact Us" website with the account

password in order to add the free international dialing feature on your specific

mobile number.

Archived