great inside cabin vs. obstructed ocean view on Grand?

sadiea

Hello all,

My husband and I have always booked inside cabins because we enjoy the savings and the inside cabin doesn't bother us. However, my TA informed me that we now qualify for a free upgrade to category FF which is an obstructed ocean view. Our original inside cabin is in a great location, in the middle on the Caribe deck. The potential "new" cabin with an obstructed ocean view is E325 on the Emerald deck which is two floors down from the caribe deck and it looks like there is a lifeboat in front of it. Does this block out all sunlight? Can you see any of the ocean at all? Before I make a decision I'd love some input from those of you "in the know"! Thanks so much!

Cassie

I sailed on the Caribbean Princess last year, which should have a smiliar layout, and I stayed in the cabin next door which is E327. Your window will be obstructed, some obstructions are worse than others. My room had a pretty good ocean view because only a small portion of the end of the life boat was in the way. However, in my opinion I believe E325 would be much better than an interior room, even if your window is fully obstructed. You should at the very least get some sunlight inside your room. Hope I was able to help. Remember, your going on a cruise so you probably wont be in your cabin much anyway. Just remember to have fun, regardless of where your cabin is!

I would take the upgrade, even if it is obstructed. At least you will get some light in your room and be able to tell night from day.

On our first couple cruises, we felt the same way as you. Save the $$ and we weren't in our rooms much anyway, but we found we slept more since we couldn't see any light - so we wasted more time in the cabin. Now we only book outside cabins (most mini-suites since we take our teen with us) and I wouldn't go back inside.

Good luck with your decision!

There was absolutely no noise in my cabin (E327) from above, below, or even next door ;).

Also hillslife is very correct. When you don't have any light coming in the room to wake you up in the morning, you will tend to sleep a lot longer!

Hi Cassie:

After having an inside on Caribbean Princess and an obstructed view on Star Princess (which have basically the same cabin set-up as the Grand) we thought the OV seemed slightly roomier.

Have a great time...

Archived