Whats going on with Costa and the drinks?

clb4894

Hello- me again:)

I am also wondering what the situation is with Costa and drinks. I've been reading that you are charged for water as well as alcohol ( which of course all cruise lines do) Is the water charge only in europe, where they do the same on land, or is it all the time. What about room service? Last carnival I went on it was free for juice, water etc. Is that also true for Costa. I am have read so many different things that my head is starting to spin, and I just want to get good solid information.

Thanks Guys

I've never been on Costa in Europe-but in the Caribbean- water (tap) can be ordered with your meals for free by the glass. There is also water by the glass available in the buffet for free.

Water is also sold by the bottle(large). You can purchase mineral water- Natural (without gas) or with gas.

I often went to the bar and asked for a glass of water with no trouble or charge.

If you purchase a wine package you will also get 10 bottles of your choice of water which you can drink in the room, at meals or take off the ship.

There is basic room service. You can order espresso, capucino or american coffee for free with room service at breakfast only. Espresso and capucino will cost in the buffet and the diningroom. We never ordered breakfast so I don't remember what was offered.

During the day roomservice consists mostly of sandwiches and small stuff.

Hello- me again:)

I am also wondering what the situation is with Costa and drinks. I've been reading that you are charged for water as well as alcohol ( which of course all cruise lines do) Is the water charge only in europe, where they do the same on land, or is it all the time. What about room service? Last carnival I went on it was free for juice, water etc. Is that also true for Costa. I am have read so many different things that my head is starting to spin, and I just want to get good solid information.

Thanks Guys

was on costa magica, western carib - no charge for water. free juice was orange and a 'blonde' which was orange and grapefuite mix.

room service is free, limited menu ofcourse.

sorry you're picking up bad info.

No he has correct information. We were on the Europa from Savona - Egypt 10 day cruise. At dinner every night, they would serve water with the meal. We were not given any options of getting "tap" water. They would just open up the bottle of mineral water and pour away. At the end of the meal each night, we were given a tab with whatever the number of bottles of water we drank. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous, but my opinion of the Europa wasn't much better.

As far as cruise ships, it was OK I guess. I felt that they were trying to "nickel and dime" us to death. However, we had taken the Magica on an earlier Med cruise and felt just the opposite. And they didn't charge for the water at dinner!!!!

So, my feelings are that it is ship specific on what they are doing.

Hi - we were on the Costa Fortuna out of Savona. At dinner we just said "water from the pitcher" and that was free. We made it clear no bottled water because we knew there would be a charge.

You have a choice and you need to speak up and ask what is free and what is not.

It is a shame on them if they took advantage of you however and opened bottles without your approval.

We really like Costa but.... like any other curise line watch out for the extra charges and always ask if its free if you are offered something like bottled water before accepting.

Happy cruising to you and we are looking into the Costa Concordia for our cruise in March 2007.

Ciao -

2Scots

Along these same lines - does Costa have any "tricks" like Royal Caribbean does - like not give you a choice of having your drink in a non-souvineer cup so that they can charge you an arm and a leg for cocktails...?

Along these same lines - does Costa have any "tricks" like Royal Caribbean does - like not give you a choice of having your drink in a non-souvineer cup so that they can charge you an arm and a leg for cocktails...?

no. all drinks are reasonably priced and comperable to what you would find in a normal, mid-range bar or restraunt in the US. drinks come in normal glasses but if you want your drink in a costa souvineer glass you can get one :)

That is really good to hear. RCCL has taken to only putting out drink menus for their "special deal" drinks that come in the souvineer cups -- and if you want a particular cocktail not in the cup, they charge you the same price anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Atlanta, was on 4 Costa Cruises and the tap water was always free. Another not so known secret is that iced tea was also free in the dining room but was only served if asked for. My son and other teens were served chocolate milk and never charged. Wait staff was numer 1 in our books.Atlanta please watch it when you say that the wait staff was so prompt in refilling your glass because you will be upsetting all those who are convinced Costa is the bottom of the barrel.

Ciao!:)

LOL--I know, Montreal. There are a lot of Costa naysayers around. Fortunately, we had a great week on the Fortuna, with the only real negative being the utterly chaotic and unnecessary method of returning passports to non-EU passengers.

Archived