Scuba

Ref611

• 1 month later...
How are the royal Carrib scuba excursions?

I am on a Carnival ship in October and figured out from their SCUBA shore excursion description that they were going to Coki Beach and were charging $75 for a one tank beach dive. I did a search for Coki Beach SCUBA and figured out there was only one dive shop at Coki Beach and they charged $50 for a one tank beach dive and another $20 for a second tank beach dive. Taxi is $18 per person round trip and the dive ship gives you a $9 credit off the cost of the dive.

I will save $16 off the one tank shore excursion price but I will be able to do a second tank that I wouldn't normally get to do.

Also, I discovered that Coki Beach is right next to Coral World. I will save a significant amount by combining my SCUBA trip with a trip to Coral World. Coral World is $18 per person but they have a $3 off coupon on their web page.

Here is a link to the dive shop.

http://www.cokidive.com

Here is a link to Coral World

http://www.coralworldvi.com

How are the royal Carrib scuba excursions?
they have a very high Mooo potential. The typical cruise ship excursion dive is a follow the leader style of time of predetermined bottom time. Excellent choice for inexperienced or once-a-year cruise divers. Not a great choice for a more experienced diver looking to get the maximum bottom time.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Bruce. Coki, while it is a lovely beach and snorkel location, it is crowded and you will doing a beach dive. For the more experienced diver, there are other shops on island than can offer you a more rewarding experience (i.e. famous wrecks) and still have you back in time to visit other island highlights in the afternoon.

Admiralty Dive Center is in town and does boat pick-ups at the Havensight dock or truck pick-ups at Crown Bay, so they can really minimize the time spent en-route to your excursion. In addition to the standard 2-tank.2-location dives, they also offer this new 3-tank/3-location package that can be altered to cater to your time constraints and skill level and provides an awesome deli lunch. Their crew is really nice too. The treat you more like friends out for a fun day on the water than cattle.

The shore dives at Coki aren't bad. They will also pick up all divers at the ship for free. Another shop that will pick you up is Blue Island divers and St Thomas diving club. I have dove several times with both of these and they are good operations also. Most shops dive the South side of the island in the winter because the Atlantic gets rougher and viz is down.

Please let me know at mblackman@kforce.com how the coki dive shop and experience is. If anyone else has experiences, your review would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

It's been a while so please forgive my lack of details. The cab ride while lovely was long. The "dive shop" was fine for a beach dive operation, ie here's your tanks and weights and some suggestions on a dive plan. We limited our dive due to being unfamiliar with the area (and this was our first shore dive). We were unable to find the markers they mentioned so we didn't see much and spent our time enjoying being wet and taking goofy pictures of each other with our camera.

I'm sure there are wonderful shore dives out there but unless you can go with someone in the know I'd recommend going with the boat dive. :(

Archived