Enchantment of the Seas Questions before Sailing next week

I Have a some questions before my wife and I set sail on the Enchantment of the Seas next week.

1. I will be driving south from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale can anyone give me good directions from 95?
  2. We Have a Junior Suite... is there a good time to arrive at the port?
  3. I am considering bringing our laptop...is there wireless internet if so how much is it and how do we get it?
  4. I know you are supposed to tip more if you have a suite but I thought I read somewhere that that does not include junior suites. What are the standards for juinor suites and tipping?
  5. Does anyone know what night the formal night is on the 4 night to key west and cozumel?
  6. Any good suggestions or tips for enjoying our aft JS to the max (this is our first cruise with in a suite or with a balcony!!!!!)?

THANKS!!!

From I-95 take 595 east. That will take you past the airport on your right. You will just follow the signs to the cruise port. There are plenty of signs.

I can't tell you when to arrive at the port. The cruise docs say 2pm, don't they? I always get on before noon so I can have lunch in the Windjammer. I haven't sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale before though. I am assuming they begin boarding around 11 like they do in Miami.

It is regular tipping in the JS - not the higher suite tipping rate.

Someone else will answer the other questions, I'm sure.

We just got back from the 5 night Enchantment cruise and loved it. The formal night is the 2nd night of the cruise- the night you leave Key West. I would arrive at the port by 11:30AM. We got there at that time and we got onboard rather quickly. Make sure you have your set sail pass printed! Cabins weren't available until 1PM, but Windjammer was open for lunch at noon.

I don't think you'll be able to use a wireless laptop. Computer time was 50 cents a minute.

Have a wonderful time! Enchantment is a lovely ship!!

I am very interested in the responses that you receive on this thread. We will be on the August 18, 2006 sailing of the Enchantment. We are going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman on the Five day itinerary. While this will be our first Junior Suite, or suite of any kind!, this will be the second time aboard the Enchantment. Up until my cruise on the Mariner last February, the Enchantment was my absolute favorite of the RCCL ships that I've been a passenger on. After being on the Mariner, which I loved!, now I'm not sure which ship I prefer. Of course my first time on the Enchantment was before the stretch, so to be fair I just had to give the ship another chance at the top spot for me! But then we ended up with a coveted Aft junior suite for this cruise, so that may not be a fair comparison to the Mariner D-1 balcony cabin. Oh well, guess I will just have to plan an Aft js on the Mariner next!

As far as the drive, we are driving down from Daytona Beach here are the directions from New Smyrna Beach on ramp (state route 44) to I-95:

6: Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward MIAMI. 224.2 miles

7: Take the SR-84 E exit- EXIT 25. 0.3 miles

8: Turn LEFT onto FL-84 E. 2.0 miles

9: Turn RIGHT onto SE 6TH AVE / S FEDERAL HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S / FL-A1A S. Continue to follow S FEDERAL HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S / FL-A1A S. 0.2 miles

10: Turn LEFT onto SE 28TH ST. 0.5 miles

11: Turn LEFT onto SE 14TH AVE / SE 26TH ST. Continue to follow SE 26TH ST. 0.3 miles

12: Turn RIGHT onto EISENHOWER BLVD. 0.3 miles

13: EISENHOWER BLVD becomes SE 32ND ST. 0.1 miles

14: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto SE 19TH AVE. 0.2 miles

15: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT. <0.1 miles

16: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ELLER DR. <0.1 miles

17: Make a U-TURN onto ELLER DR. <0.1 miles

18: End at Port Everglades

1850 Eller Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, US

Hope that helps,

Darlene

We just got back from the 5 night Enchantment cruise and loved it. The formal night is the 2nd night of the cruise- the night you leave Key West. I would arrive at the port by 11:30AM. We got there at that time and we got onboard rather quickly. Make sure you have your set sail pass printed! Cabins weren't available until 1PM, but Windjammer was open for lunch at noon.

I don't think you'll be able to use a wireless laptop. Computer time was 50 cents a minute.

I do believe that formal night is the 2nd night of the cruise or your Key West night. I would also get to the port about 11:30ish. We sailed on the Radiance last year & our friend's son was able to use his wireless laptop but I guess there's no guarantee.

Have a great time & please post a review since I'll be sailing the Enchantment at the end of the month, 8/28.

Barbara from Philly

We just returned from a 5 night Jamaica/Grand Cayman cruise 7-22-06. We had a wonderful time. The ship has a quiet elegance compared to the loud marde gras style of Carnivals Inspiration that we were on last year. We also had a JS (8132) our first balcony. We loved it! Have no intention of sailing without one in the future. Loved being able to just get up and walk out to our balcony instead of having to actually face people first thing in the morning. Ordered room service for coffee on the balcony. Enjoyed wathching our arrivals and departures from ports from our private balcony. Just a wonderful place for a quiet nap or just watching the sea go by. Our room steward, and dinning staff was exceptional.

We arrived at the port around noon and got onto the ship within 30 minutes or less. Only waiting was to get through security. Have your set sail pass ready to go and it should be a breeze.

Can't speak to the internet. Felt no need to use it.

We tipped according to the recommendations using the vouchers. Also included a bit extra since we received such great service.

I'll be happy to answer any othe question.

Enjoy your trip! Wish I could go back.

I live about 15 minutes from the Port. Take I-95 south to I-595 East. I am pretty sure the sign says Airport/Port. Take I-595 east and follow the signs to the port.... it it the very end of 595. You will pass the airport on your right. You will literally drive into the port. Then follow the signs for your ship. There will be security stations, I am sure they will direct you in the port.

Have a great time and we look forward to your review as we are sailing on the Enchantment in December!!

We recently returned from the Enchantment and had a wonderful first cruise. To answer your aft JS questions - we too had aft JS on deck 8 and loved it. Here's some suggestions to enjoy the larger balcony and view:

1. Get room service for breakfast (or at least coffee).

2. Before dinner drinks.

3. The sail-away and observing the coast grow farther in the distance.

4. Relaxing at night before bed and listening to the sounds of the ocean and the music from below.

5. Watching all the action when docked/tendered in port.

6. "Backing up" to the dock at Port Everglades on the return.

Have fun! Once you go aft you never go back!

Dannyt818 & VU80: We are sailing on the Enchantment 5nt in January and also will have our first aft JS:D ...Danny will you take pictures please to post???

VU80: Did you take any pictures??? which cabin did you have we are in 8670, can't wait to order room service for AM coffee;) ...

Get to the port by 11-11:30 and go straight to the Windjammer for Lunch, by the time you are done, your cabin will be ready for occupancy:p ...Have a great time and enjoy...Later, Jill:cool:

As far as the drive, we are driving down from Daytona Beach here are the directions from New Smyrna Beach on ramp (state route 44) to I-95:

6: Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward MIAMI. 224.2 miles

7: Take the SR-84 E exit- EXIT 25. 0.3 miles

8: Turn LEFT onto FL-84 E. 2.0 miles

9: Turn RIGHT onto SE 6TH AVE / S FEDERAL HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S / FL-A1A S. Continue to follow S FEDERAL HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S / FL-A1A S. 0.2 miles

10: Turn LEFT onto SE 28TH ST. 0.5 miles

11: Turn LEFT onto SE 14TH AVE / SE 26TH ST. Continue to follow SE 26TH ST. 0.3 miles

12: Turn RIGHT onto EISENHOWER BLVD. 0.3 miles

13: EISENHOWER BLVD becomes SE 32ND ST. 0.1 miles

14: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto SE 19TH AVE. 0.2 miles

15: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT. <0.1 miles

16: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ELLER DR. <0.1 miles

17: Make a U-TURN onto ELLER DR. <0.1 miles

18: End at Port Everglades

1850 Eller Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, US

Hope that helps,

Darlene

Darlene- I know you are trying to help the OP, but I live in the area (I also own a delivery service) and these driving directions are convoluted and confusing and basically innacurate. The best way to get to Port Everglades from I 95 is like the other posters have said..From I-95 take 595 East, past the airport and where 595 ends you will be right at the port entrance.

Enjoy the Enchantment.. we had the BEST time ever last May!

Michael

Darlene- I know you are trying to help the OP, but I live in the area (I also own a delivery service) and these driving directions are convoluted and confusing and basically innacurate. The best way to get to Port Everglades from I 95 is like the other posters have said..From I-95 take 595 East, past the airport and where 595 ends you will be right at the port entrance.

Enjoy the Enchantment.. we had the BEST time ever last May!

Michael

Thank you Michael and others! The directions that I posted were from MapQuest- yes, they are way more confusing and harder to follow than what you and others have posted. That is what I love about these boards, everyone wants to help. :) I will definitely be scrunching my Map Quest directions, tossing them and following your directions to the port.

Darlene

After posting last night I realized that I may also have harder to follow directions to the hotel that we are staying at the night before our cruise. We are staying at the Fort Lauderdale Grande, formally the Marriott Marina, on 17th Street. So we will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale via I-95, how do we get to the 17th Street area?

Thank you again,

Darlene

If traffic gets bad on 95 south of Ft. Pierce, jump onto the FL Turnpike. There is an exit for 595 east from there. Bring some quarters for the tolls. I would leave your house around 6am in case of traffic, accidents, etc. If all goes well, you should get onto the ship just in time for lunch in the Windjammer.

Second attempt to post.. lost my other message to cyber insanity :(

I Have a some questions before my wife and I set sail on the Enchantment of the Seas next week.

1. I will be driving south from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale can anyone give me good directions from 95?

Use mapquest.com to get your route and print it out

1. We Have a Junior Suite... is there a good time to arrive at the port?

Arrive at 11 AM. We were on the ship close to 11:30 with very little waiting and etc.

1. I am considering bringing our laptop...is there wireless internet if so how much is it and how do we get it?

I do not think any cabin can do wireless internet, I think some cabins have internet access available for a fee, but neber tried to use internet in a cabin. Have taken laptop to unload digital pics through out the day and was very handy to that purpose.

1. I know you are supposed to tip more if you have a suite but I thought I read somewhere that that does not include junior suites. What are the standards for juinor suites and tipping?

The tipping guidelines for minimum tipping is waiter 3.50 a day per peson

Assistant Waiter is 2.00 per person per day, steward is 3.50 a person per day and head waiter is 0.75 per person per day. Higher tipping is not required for a JS.. Tip calculator is cruisetip.tpkeller.com

1. Does anyone know what night the formal night is on the 4 night to key west and cozumel?

Formal night is Key West night. and most people were dressed appropriately

1. Any good suggestions or tips for enjoying our aft JS to the max (this is our first cruise with in a suite or with a balcony!!!!!)?

enjoy breakfast and coffee on the balcony. The balcony was by far my favorite part of the whole cruise. Worth every extra penny (or dollar) to have a balcony cabin..

Enjoy the enchantment as she is a WONDERFUL SHIP ALL THE WAY AROUND.

THANKS!!!

I need help. We are cruising next March 31st 2007. Same trip and Same ship. ( Enchantment and Grand Cayman and Jamica) I know about the falls but what other excursions are there to do that are ship sponsered. What is there to do in Jamica or what does everybody suggest. Some people in the group are not snorkel people. Are their other sight seeing excursions. Please somebody throw me a bone.

I would suggest taking a look and choosing what you like but I would never book up a shore excursion until you get right onto the ship, this way you have an idea of the weather will be like. Yes, in very bad weather they will cancel and you get your money back, but in regular rainy days and such they still go and you have to think do you want to do that excursion knowing its going to rain there? Its your decision but I never book up until the day of my cruise and the night before I check the weather of the islands for the week. :)

I need help. We are cruising next March 31st 2007. Same trip and Same ship. ( Enchantment and Grand Cayman and Jamica) I know about the falls but what other excursions are there to do that are ship sponsered. What is there to do in Jamica or what does everybody suggest. Some people in the group are not snorkel people. Are their other sight seeing excursions. Please somebody throw me a bone.

This will be the second time for me on this ship and this itinerary. The first time in Jamaica we used a local guide (Peat Taylor) and had an awesome time. Not only did we climb the falls on his tour, but we saw alot of the countryside. We toured the Wassi Pottery Factory, went to Fern Gully, took a walk in the rain forest, and stopped for the most amazing view from Shaw Gardens Park. Peat dropped us at Margaritaville for lunch, but there were some others on the tour that continued on with him to do the river tubing thing. Awesome tour, great price and I believe that going on this kind of tour is the safest and most interesting way to see Jamaica. I know that you specified "ship excursion", but we felt completely safe with Peat and had no worries about getting back to the ship in time. Last Feb. a friend and I cruised on the Mariner and went back to Jamaica. We opted for the Canopy Tour, and oh what a trip! As soon as we got home, I booked another trip to Jamaica (to celebrate my nephew's graduation) JUST to be able to do the Canopy tour again. As for Grand Cayman, I have been there at least three times. The first time we took a ship sponsored tour of the island including the turtle farm, hell, and seven mile beach. We only stopped at the turtle farm and hell. At the seven mile beach, we only got a "peek" and then continued on to the rum cake store/factory. The second time I was traveling with my granddaughter and neice, so we opted for the "swim with the stingray excursion" also done with a local company, Captain Bryan and the catamaran "Buccaneer". Great tour, but having done it once, I probably wouldn't feel the need to do again. We also choose a local company for horseback riding on the beach. I don't think the company has the same owners, or perhaps they are no longer in business. That too, was great fun. If you are interested in booking with local companies, I would suggest going to http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions. Last February for our visit to Grand Cayman we used http://www.caymanislandshelicopters.com for a great helicopter tour of the area. It too was breath-taking, and a great way to see the island. This time we are doing the Jeep Safari Tour, also booked through http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions . I'll definitely answer any questions that you may have about that tour once I get back.

If I can be of any further help let me know!

darlene

Hi! Would you mind sharing who your cruise director was? I called RCCL two times today and the first time was told that Matt Baker was going to be our CD on the Aug.19th sailing. Everything I've read here on Cruisecritics says that he is gone. Second time I was told that they did not have that information (any information about who the CD's are). I should know better than to call RCCL.

Thanks for your help!

darlene

In Ochos Rio you've got to do Dunns River Falls, in Grand Cayman I recommend swimming with the stingrays. In Cozumel, I'm assuming you're sailing there, you've got to try Carlos n Charlies :D & I'll let you know after my cruise on 8/28 about the Mexican Cusine Workshop Tour which I've heard is really fun.

Have a great time.

Barbara from Philly

Archived