Locking Luggage

luvz2cruz

We are preparing for our cruise on the Miracle, which leaves Saturday 7/10. What are Carnival's regulations for locking luggage? We weren't sure if we were allowed to or not. If anyone has any info that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

We were just on a Conquest cruise 6/6/04. We locked our luggage and used cable ties on unimportant pockets on the outside of our luggage. Probably anyone could still get into them if they wanted to bad enough; but it makes it a little harder and more obviously noticed if someone tries to get into the suitcases. I was noticing locks on everyone else's suitcases when I saw them sitting outside of rooms or on those luggage carts.

I was wondering the same thing myself! I seen someone post on the old boards some time ago about locks you can put on that can be opened by security. I have looked for them everywhere but I can't find them. Any one know anything about these locks?

All airlines require that luggage be unlocked. If it's not, and they decide to search it, they'll just break the lock. Carnival does not have those requirements. So, if you're not traveling by air, there's no problem. We put those multi-colored luggage straps around ours to help keep it closed and to make it easier to spot. I never carry valuables in my checked luggage so it never gets locked anyway.

[b][color=black]luvz2cruz - Hi and welcome to the board. [/color][/b]

[b]Quoting from Carnival's latest guidelines:[/b]

[b][i]"Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name, ship and stateroom number...Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival".....also..."Lock your luggage prior to leaving it in the hall the night before debarkation."[/i][/b]

[quote name='luvz2cruz']We are preparing for our cruise on the Miracle, which leaves Saturday 7/10. What are Carnival's regulations for locking luggage? We weren't sure if we were allowed to or not. If anyone has any info that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

What you are looking for are search alert luggage locks found at [url]www.tamperseal.com[/url]. Ordered them online and received them within 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

[quote name='cantw82cruise']I thought you couldn't carry the nail clippers on the plane???[/QUOTE]

TSA has relaxed its standards somewhat in that some of the really stupid regulations that were enacted immediately after 9/11 (such as no nail clippers)have been done away with.

To find what you can and can't take, look at [url]www.tsa.gov[/url] .

By mistake, I put my nail clippers in my carry on bag. That was OK. The fact that my nail clipper set included a 1/2" long blade also was not. The Airport Securtity in New Orleans was very nice and gave me the options of giving it to them, mailing it home, or go back to the front desk and put it into the luggage compartment. I did the latter.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question. My mom thought we were not allowed to lock it but I thought we were, since we are not flying to our port. Your info was very helpful. Thanks again! :)

And please be sure to lock your bags -- not so much for security but modesty. There was some poor passenger who's belongings had come out of her suitcase in the baggage area at disembarkment. Her zippers had come open.

[size=3][color=blue]We have always used cable ties and taken scissors to cut them off with. Since 911, I put the scissors in the outside zippered pocket of my luggage since I can't carry them in my carry-on. Be sure to leave enough space to get the scissors through to cut the tie. If the airline needs to get into your luggage they have no problem cutting the ties and they replace them with cable ties that I think are blue anyway.[/color][/size]

Archived