Pregnant and cruising??

snobster

Hello! On my previous 3 cruises (Holland America X2 and NCL) I noticed a few quite pregnant women onboard. Now that I am quite pregnant and planning a cruise, I noted that there are pretty strict restrictions on how pregnant one can be and still cruise. I will exceed the allowed dates by a couple of weeks on the week I'd like to cruise. Is this rule truly enforced or a "don't ask, don't tell" type of thing? This is my 6th pregnancy and I am very healthy, so I am not too stressed about the pregnancy. Any advice?:confused:

From what I have seen here, most cruise lines require a letter from the doctor stating how many weeks you will be at that time. I honestly wouldn't risk it. I know that cruiselines do look the other way on some policies....but I don't think I would want to test this one while boarding. Could you imagine if they denied you embarkation :eek: Oh I would die.

Here is the info from RCCL, don't know which cruiseline you were planning on booking. And just an FYI, the cruise insurance says that it will not refund cancellations based on pregnancy unless you are hospitalized.

Pregnancy

Royal Caribbean will not accept guests who will have entered their third trimester of pregnancy (27th week) at the beginning or at any time during their cruise vacation. Please contact us if you have already booked your cruise and do not meet this requirement.

This is one rule they always enforce and they require a doctor's letter saying how many weeks you're into the pregnancy. Any professional doctor would never lie about something like that. Cruise ships, even though they have a medical clinic on board, don't have any facilities for pregnant passengers. And then there's the liability issues. I sure wouldn't take the chance of going into early labor on a cruise. And, if as you say you're going to be a few weeks past the rule, I would never chance cruising in the middle of the third trimester. Just too dangerous, IMHO.

I cruised during my second trimester this year and also did the research on denied boarding... each line has their own cut-off date with some as early as 24 weeks and others at 27 weeks. I made sure to carry the original letter from my doctor stating I was fit to travel, estimated due date, and how many weeks gestation I was at time of cruising. I also kept a couple photocopies stashed elsewhere just in case the original got misplaced or something (I was paranoid of getting to embarkation and not finding the letter).

Me personally - it's not worth risking denial of boarding at the dock. Look around and see if a cruiseline has a date that works for your pregnancy.

On the other hand, I wasn't really showing yet (was 14 weeks) so I wasn't asked for the letter at all by Celebrity when checking in for embarkation.

You also might want to read through this thread where a travel agent mentions one of her pregnant clients having challenges at embarkation...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298915

But the policies vary for each cruiseline and can be found from their individual websites or linked below...

24 weeks - NCL , Holland America

27 weeks - RCCL , Carnival, Celebrity

28 weeks - Princess

No policy, but denies any cruiseline responsibility - Windjammer (that would definitely be a "barefoot" cruise like their motto!!)

Just as a Maternity Nurse and a Mom reguardless of what the policy is I would never cruise after 22 weeks. At 23 weeks in a hospital we could do a lot to try to save your baby. On a cruise ship you will have none of that technology. If you should go in to preterm labor you are risking your own health and your baby. Just my .02

Hello! On my previous 3 cruises (Holland America X2 and NCL) I noticed a few quite pregnant women onboard. Now that I am quite pregnant and planning a cruise, I noted that there are pretty strict restrictions on how pregnant one can be and still cruise. I will exceed the allowed dates by a couple of weeks on the week I'd like to cruise. Is this rule truly enforced or a "don't ask, don't tell" type of thing? This is my 6th pregnancy and I am very healthy, so I am not too stressed about the pregnancy. Any advice?:confused:

Here's my 2 cents...I just cruised at 22 weeks and was looking VERY pregnant and no one asked for my midwife's note, though I did have one. However, if I had the opportunity to cruise a couple of weeks past the 27 week mark, I totally would, I would just try to get a note that fibbed the date (I would die if I got denied boarding). Of course, if you got asked, you could always deny that you were even pregnant. Just wear fat clothes and not maternity clothes, LOL! My opinion is that it is really none of their business. If they let those totally sickly old people on oxygen on the ship, then they shouldn't have a problem with a healthy young pregnant woman. Granted, if for some reason I went into labor really early, that would be a choice that I would have to live with for the rest of my life. I understand that, though, and it would be a responsibility that I would be willing to live with. Good luck with your decision!!!

FWIW I cruised when I was pregnant twice. The first time I cruised pg was at the end of the second trimester and the second time was at the end of the first trimester. Both times I had doctor's notes but NO ONE asked to see them. I just went aboard and cruised and no one ever asked. And yes, I *was* showing (even the second time.... since second babies show about a month earlier than the first).

We are cruising with a pg mom in November. She is due the end of February (5th pregnancy) and so far medically everything is A-OK! Her Dr. has told her that when the time comes he will clear her to travel as long as everything is still A-OK. She wants this cruise bad! She is tiny to begin with (even after 4 babies!!! :eek: )and probably wont even look pg :rolleyes: .

Myself? I would cruise. I don't let the "what ifs" of life rule me. But I'm happy with my 3 girls - not having anymore- so it's a moot point with me anyway! LOL!

Happy HEALTHY Cruising everyone!!!

~Connie

I think this thread may have gotten away from the OP's original question regarding if the cruiseline will let her board after their stated pregnancy cut-off date.

While many people may have personal opinions if cruising while pregnant is appropriate after a certain date, it may need to be a thread on its own since not related to the OP's question....

I cruised while I was 27 weeks pregnant with 1st daughter on RC. We booked the cruise before I got pregnant, so it was not "noted" in my profile. I probably wouldn't have even thought to mentioned it, unless I was asked, anyway. I've never been asked if I was pregnant while booking any of my past 7 cruises.

I did have a doctor's note in case I needed it for boarding, which stated I was 26 weeks at the time of the cruise ;), but never needed it, as they never asked! I was wearing baggy maternity close and had a belly (which probbably seemed much larger to me)! So, it seems to me that this all depends on the person who checks you in before you board. One staff member may notice you're pregnant while the other may think you're just a little middle-heavy.

I was totally healthy and my doctor was aware of why the cruise line would want a note like that to begin with (to protect themselves). Doctor felt a much needed vacation would be very beneficial for me. And I was a very low risk patient. If I had high blood pressure, diabetes, or prior pregnancy troubles, etc., then things would have been very different.

I also cruised when I was 12 weeks pregnant with my 2nd daughter. But for both of these cruises, I had the mind-set that this is my decision, and if heaven-forbid something bad happened, I could not place blame on anyone.

A cruise is a pregnant women's dream! No wonder both my girls were over 8 lbs!

• 1 month later...

Archived