Afraid Of Heights!!

Theresa522

Hi all, I know this may sound crazy as I already booked my cruise for Sept. 4th on the Carnival Legend, but I am deathly afraid of heights! I didn't think I was that bad until recently when we went up on a rooftop to see a fireworks display. A lot of friends are telling me I will be fine as if I do get scared I can just go back into the ship. Any suggestions? Is there anyone else out there who is afraid of heights, but still cruises??? (I hope so) :eek:

My husband is afraid of heights, and he never even mentioned been uncomfortable on the cruise at all. The ship isn't as open as you might imagine, I don't remember feeling as if we were high up. Mostly you are looking out at the ocean, not down at it. Unless you are on the ground looking at the ship, they you get a sense of the height!

I think as long as you aren't hanging over the side yoiu will be fine!

Don't worry. I have a fear myself and I felt fine on the cruise. The only places that made me a little nervous were the very top decks, but only because it was very windy and I felt like I was gonna get blown over the side. These decks that I'm talking about aren't any of the highly used public decks so you won't feel this way unless you make a point to venture up there. They're mostly used for observation, sometimes the running track is located there.

I have had a fear of 'open' heights for as long as I can remember. I can ride in a glass-enclosed outside elevator, for instance, with no problem. I'm "closed in and safe", no chance of falling out.

However, it's the open heights like cliffs or balconies with slim rails that bother me. I can't get within 5 feet without feeling that I'm going to just 'go over'. It can be overwhelming at times.

On a cruise ship, I have NOT felt this imminent danger to myself. (Of course, I do not hang over a balcony railing. I NEVER look directly down into the water, but straight out.)

Ahhh, phobias are very hard to overcome.

just saw that you are going on the sept 4th cruise my self dave and my girl friendd are going to be there to. As far as the fear of hieghts thing i wouldn't worry about it cause from what im told its like being in a large hotel you never even realize how high you are:) well see you in 58 days:)

just saw that you are going on the sept 4th cruise my self dave and my girl friendd are going to be there to. As far as the fear of hieghts thing i wouldn't worry about it cause from what im told its like being in a large hotel you never even realize how high you are:) well see you in 58 days:)

Hi, is this your first cruise? Are you also from New York? I can't wait!!

Hey there!

I have a fear of heights(and bridges) too. I have never felt this fear while on a cruise. It doesn't bother me to look down at the water or be on a high deck. You should be fine! I hope that you have a fabulous cruise, don't worry about the height thing!:)

We took a friend on our last cruise with us that was very afraid of heights. She was hesitant at first, like on her balcony or up on open decks, but after a few days she had adjusted quite well. I think you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived