Sharing a Cabin with Someone who Snores~TIPS????

Years ago, two friends took their first cruise together. One fell in love with cruising and continued to cruise over the years. The other hasn't darkened a ship gangway since.

Fastforward~these two same friends are about to sail on the Sensation. Since that cruise years ago, the friends haven't vacationed together...one got married and stayed at home, the other didn't and traveled the world. Both are looking forward to a FANTASTIC TIME!

As we all know, a cruise ship cabin isn't very big so sharing a cabin with someone who snores (if your not used to it) can be difficult. Since we haven't traveled together in years....it is hard to recall if the the other snores. Do any of the OTC products work at making snoring less noticible, so I can be a good cabin mate? Usually it isn't a problem because I'm sharing a cabin with someone else who snores as well so my snoring doesn't bother them. :rolleyes:

I don't go anywhere without my sound machine. It came down to separate sleeping quarters or the machine because my husband snores/breathes loud. I turn it up loud and I am ok. Bring an extension cord because the lack of outlets and far proximity from the bed won't help you if it's too far away. Don't have to spend alot of $$ either. Good luck!

J.

Purchased ear plugs at a gun range and have used them since. White noise machines and ear plugs for extra protection.

I know this is not the case for you but if a spouse snores there may be a problem with sleep apnea.. Hubby snored, had a sleep study and now quietly sleeps with a bipap machine and he feels great since.

I don't go anywhere without my sound machine. It came down to separate sleeping quarters or the machine because my husband snores/breathes loud. I turn it up loud and I am ok. Bring an extension cord because the lack of outlets and far proximity from the bed won't help you if it's too far away. Don't have to spend alot of $$ either. Good luck!

J.

I was just to post the same exact thing!!!! The best tip my MIL ever gave me when my hubby and I were dating was to get a white noise machine! This thing is heaven sent!!!!!!!!! It is at the point that even when I travel alone, I have to pack it - as I miss it too much! I got mine at Sharper Image - I think it was $99, but it also has a travel alarm clock and radio in it - I also think it has something like 20 different sounds, but I always leave it on the 'rain' setting.

My wife just tries to make sure that she gets to sleep before I do. I will even try to keep myself awake long enough for her to be asleep before I finally allow myself to doze off. It seems that once she manages to get to sleep, she's out, and my snoring rarely wakes her. When it does, she just jabs me in the ribs with an elbow, I roll back over to my side, and the snoring stops.

I have been told that my snoring can be unbearable when I fall asleep after too many cocktails. I don't know if others have the same thing happen or not, but if it helps any, try to stop drinking a little earlier when you have a non snorer in the room to be considerate.

Since my husband snores, we have a fan we use for background noise. We also take it on our cruises to help with the late nite partyers so that we won't be awakened if we decide to turn in early. On one cruise, we forgot the fan and requested one from the room steward, and one was delivered in about 30 minutes. They only have a few, so it you want one, you need to request it early. Did the trick and we were never awakened by those who wanted to stay out later than us.

After putting it off for years, my husband finally convinced me to have a sleep study done in January to do something about the snoring. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was not breathing an average of 23 times an hour. I have since started using an CPAP machine at night to help me breathe and I no longer snore. I wake up rested and with more energy now. I will be taking my CPAP with me for the first time on a cruise this September. My last cruise without the CPAP was miserable for everyone in the cabin due to my loud snoring.

How can you reduce your likelihood of snoring?

There are many different ways to reduce snoring:

• One of the most effective is through weight loss. Reducing your weight will reduce fat deposits in the throat, providing a more spacious airway and usually less snoring.

• Another way to reduce snoring is to improve nasal breathing by using a nasal strip that gently opens your nostrils during sleep. Dental appliances that are also available can be prescribed by your dentist or orthodontist.

• Sleeping on your side with a pillow is the preferable position to help alleviate snoring.

• Two lifestyle changes to consider are avoiding alcohol and cigarettes. Abstaining from alcohol, which relaxes muscles in the airway, at least four hours before bedtime; and abstaining completely from smoking, which is associated with nasal congestion, can help alleviate snoring.

• Finally, ask your doctor for recommendations, so he or she can address your specific snoring situation.

Anyone with snoring should talk to their doc about a sleep study. THere are websites where you can find out more about sleep apnea and answer a questionaire to see if you might have it. Check them out.

sleepapnea.org

sleepfoundation.org/publications/sleepap.cfm

sleepfoundation.org This has info & advice on all kinds of sleep problems.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/sleep/sleepapn.htm

My husband needs one of those CPAP machines. His snoring is so loud if I'm in the basement on the telepone and he is on the third floor, the person I am talking to can clearly hear him snoring. I try to get to sleep before him and most times I do, but if I wake up in the middle of the night I'm in trouble so I just hit him, push him and hold his nose and repeat this action until I tire myself out and fall asleep.

I too was once a heavy snorer and was always exhausted during the day no matter how many hours of sleep i had the night before .

turns out I had Sleep Apnea , a condition where as I stop breathing while I sleep, I mean just for a second, but it occurs many times during the night. Thus I wasn't getting sufficient oxygen when I slept which was causing me to be tired all the time.

this condition can also be very dangerous due to the breathing problems it causes.

The Doctor recommended the CPAP machine .........NO WAY was I spending every night of my life hooked up to that thing.

So the next step.... Seeing i had never had my tonsils out they removed them and my adnoids , plus they used a laser to burn out some of the soft palette and my uvula (that little dangling thing in the back of your throat)

Kind of drastic , but it did the trick. The snoring has stopped and I am not sleepy all the time

Yes, Naren snores too! I wear my earplugs, and I can't hear him. But also sometimes I can't hear the alarm clock. But he can, and when he nudges me, thats what actually wakes me up.

I had a cruise experience on the Holiday, and my cruisemate then tried DSnore. That did not work for him.

Another beau from the days of Yor tried the breathe right strips. That didn't work either. He even wore two, and still snored. But that was actually a sleep apnea problem. But it was the longest 4 day cruise ever!

I'd like to know what will stop the noise from the damn dog that lives above us. I think his brother was Kujo.

Archived