If you've seen one volcano have you seen them all?

sboh

My husband and I and our two teenage sons are sailing on the POH next June. I'm getting together ideas for ports. In Hilo we plan to tour VNP and may even do the Nature Deluxe tour offered by NCL (small group w/ a naturalist). We will be in Maui the following two days and renting a car. On day 1 we are planning a beach day and Old Lahaina Luau. Would it be worthwhile to tour Haleakala on day 2 (we would go on our own, not at sunrise)? What would be different in terms of the landscape, etc., than what we experienced at VNP two days earlier?

Haleakala and Kilauea are quite different experiences. Haleakala is dormant. The views from its summit and the approach road are breathtaking. Its actual summit caldera is a fabulous sight.

Kilauea is an active volcano, currently in eruption (as it has been since 1983). The feel is entirely different because of this. The smells, sights, and sounds suggest power and raw forces of the Earth. It is new land, sometimes harsh, sometimes astonishingly lush. You can approach within a mile or so of the actual lava flow where the lava delta is forming in the ocean. Currently there are some active flows on the flats - unfortunately, even farther from the end of chain of craters road than the ocean entry. But such are the vagaries of Kilauea.

IMO, Kilauea is a must see. Period.

Haleakala less so, especially if you have but a few precious days on Maui. For those who spend a week or more, the upcountry of Haleakala is a true delight. I doubt you'd be disappointed with Haleakala, provided you knew what you were getting (see the NPS website for more about Haleakala - if you like hiking you'll have a grand time). Also, have an alternate plan for the Haleakala day. It sometimes is shrouded in clouds and mist for much of the daylight hours.

Two VERY different experiences (as the above poster discusses). I loved them both - the views from Haleakala when are the clouds part are spectacular (if you rent a car - stop at EVERY viewpoint) and VNP is an essential part of any trip to Hawaii. Personally I would try to do both.

I agree with the two previous posters. I actually liked Haleakala better. The drive up is spectacular and when you are above the clouds it is like no other site. Even if totally cloudy below the view is awe-inspiring. I've done the Road to Hana before and like Haleakala better.

VNP was a bit of a disappointment, but worth it if you've never been there.

Thanks for all your replies. I think we will plan on Haleakala also. I like the idea of being above the clouds. We don't have an interest in doing the road to Hana (not sure why, just didn't appeal to us) so the alternative was another beach day which we would like but since we're planning on beach time in Kauai also I think we'll go for Haleakala. We don't have many volcanoes, dormant or active, here in Ohio...

The road to Hana is an all-day drive and can be quite exhausting for the driver. True, there are lovely waterfalls and unspoiled nature sights along the way but there are also many switchback turns and the road narrows at times. I agree with other posters: see Kilauea and Hanalakea for two distinctly different views of volcanoes and for an education of the emergence of the Hawaiian islands. (The newest island is currently "under construction" off Hawaii--ask and you will learn of it).

This is all really encouraging information, as we've booked excursions to both when we are alongside in September/October. We have a coach trip to the observatory at the summit of Haleakala (10,000 feet up!), and I was hoping that the view was as spectacular as has been hinted at. In addition, we're doing a flight in Nawiliwili that includes a look over Kilauea and a 4 hr coach trip through VNP when we hit Hilo. So all bases covered! Here's to sweeping vistas and magnificent photos...

Cheers!

Mal

Archived