Cadiz to Seville--need tour guides/taxi

I've searched the boards and can't find recommendations for taxi drivers and/or tour guides from Cadiz to Seville. Can anyone help?

The train schedule only allows us 3 1/2 hours in Seville, so we have decided a private car is a better option.

Thanks in advance.

We also searched last May and could not find any. We went with the ships tour. What a big waste of time! Waiting in the lounge for our group to get together, then waiting for the group to be allowed off the ship. An hour and 45 minute bus ride to Seville. Seville is worth it, but we had so little time. The guides I contacted in Seville did not know any other way either than the train.

You could probably hire a cab at the port for the day and ask the price..if it's ok then go.If not Cadiz,IMHO, is a really neat city to explore,enjoy and the has some of the best shopping/prices in Spain.Just an FYI.

We decided to go to Seville post-cruise and are looking forward to spending the day in Cadiz based on cberge's recommendation and other positive comments, but I researched the option of going by train and think that it's an easy and economical option for those who like independent travel. See http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html for schedules.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Claire,

I am having the same trouble with looking for guides in Spain. Those that I have contacted are outrageous in their price! We are looking for Vigo- Santiago de Compostella and Malaga-Granada/Alhambra. If I get any reasonable offers I will post..I don't have your E mail. If you get any info..please E mail me at Queenk2@aol.com

Will do. The train schedules don't work for us. We would have to return too early. I'm having some friends who speak spanish call to Cadiz for me. I will post the results here when they call. Thanks, Claire

We have heard passengers complaining about the short amount of time they had in Seville on day trips from Cadiz. Lots of travel time, and driving around once there. Add some time to eat and theres little actual sightseeing time left from a full day excursion.

We have been into Cadiz 3 times. The first time we stayed in Cadiz, the second we went to JEREZ (de la Frontera). We had to shorten our time there (last Sept) due to the heat, so went back again on our 3rd trip ( this May) to finish off our sightseeing there. On the 2nd and 3rd trips we spent the leftover time back in Cadiz.

Suggestions:

Jerez is a delightful town, well worth some time. I suggest you take the train from Cadiz, spending some time there before returning to Cadiz to sightsee there. The town is compact and easily walkable. The main sights are close to each other, as are the shops, market etc. To get an idea of what to see there, look at your ships excursions. Its extremely likely they are going there. Theres also lots of info on Jerez (de la Frontera) on the internet.

Or,

Spend the whole day in Cadiz.

When you were on the renfe site checking the timetable, did you also spot the link for VER HORARIOS DE CERCANIAS? If you click this you get local trains in addition to the fancier express, long distance, regional etc. If you missed it first time around, it might be worth looking at as theres quite a frequent service. We have used a mix of trains getting to and from Jerez and some may run to Seville.

Thank you for leaving this information, and I did not have that tip on the schedules, so we appreciate that information. As an aside, my in-laws will be in your beautiful city to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in September. :)

We noted that the horse show will not be available to us on the day that we are in Cadiz, so do you think that Jerez is worth a visit if we can't see the horse show? We have a long port stop in Cadiz, so I think we have time to do both.

Donna

I hope your in-laws enjoy your trip here. Sept is a nice month, still popular and busy but without the August crowds here for the many fetivals during that month. Are they on a cruise ship or a land trip? I know from the boards here on CC that there are ships due to call in here this month and next.

Re Jerez. We went to the horse school last Sept on our first trip to Jerez. Not the show, because our port schedule did not allow for that, but to one of the morning training sessions which are held several times a week. We bought the ticket which gave us the training session, stables and gardens visit. (there are different options)

The arena, stables and grounds are immaculate and impressive. As are the horses. Beautiful to look at. These horses are the creme de la creme and so are their quarters!:) However, overall it was a huge disappointment and in our opinion at least, an almost complete waste of time and money...the time wasting being more important than the money.

We knew this was not a show, only a training session. Because its popular and the tickets quite pricy we assumed we would see, if not exactly a dress rehearsal, some fancy steps and movements, maybe formations, we could only guess. We had gone directly from the station to the school, hurrying to catch the first show. As we got there we saw a big crowd around the gates and thought they must be waiting for something. They were. The show was starting an hour later than our info (from various sources) had indicated. As its quite a wee bit from any other sights we had to wait because there was not enough time to see anything else and be back in time for the session. Eventually we were allowed into the arena. Took our seats. Were asked what language we wanted for tour to follow. Were told no photography in arena for copyright reasons. Told could take photos later. Frustrated but accepted this. People trying to sneak a photo were shouted at. Horses and riders came in, trotted around, horses and riders came in, trotted around, horses...you get the picture. Riders in dark green uniform polo shirts. We assumed this was the warm up to the training. Saw one horse do a little step which was not a trot or canter and felt like cheering as it was only one different from others. After a very short time, no more I think than maybe 20/25 mins, all horses disappeared and we were told the training session was over. We were a bit cross. Duly joined our English language group for the stables tour. Went to stables. Must be the most luxurious in the world. Immaculate. Saw the horses in boxes, names, pedigrees etc on doors. Told once again, no photos, and again told could take later. People trying to sneak photos every time guide not watching them. Several got caught. Again got shouted at. Went to room where saddles, tack etc kept. Again told no photography. Again people got shouted at for sneaking photos. Finally led outside to small gardens. Told we could take photos..of what???

All in all, it was very disappointing, at least for us. Maybe we are hard to please. Decide for yourself whether this is an attraction you "must see" ........or not.

Having "lost" quite a bit of time here we went back into town and hit the main sights, the Cathedral, the Alcazar, saw the sherry houses etc. All compact, nice colourful gardens, flowers, statues, fountains, some attractive streets etc. Followed a "walk" we copied from a book. By this time it was mid afternoon and we were very hot and fast wilting. It was 38 degrees CENTIGRADE. We decided to return to Cadiz (only 31 degrees Cent there)

When we returned in May, we walked around some of the main streets and discovered the shops and indoor market. There were different flowers in the spring. Purple jacaranda (I think it was) everywhere and stunning to see. Even an entire avenue of it. It is a town dedicated to, and dominated by sherry. Lots of colourful barrels and displays. I dont think you will be disappointed if you visit there. And you will see by the train scedules that there are lots of trains (if you count the cercanias as well01) There are 2 tourist info offices centrally situated. Only downside is that its a good 10 minute brisk walk from the train station to the centre.

In May, on the way back to Cadiz we got off the train and visited El Puerto de Santa Maria, returning to Cadiz from there by bus, then had a last minute stroll around Cadiz. You wont have time for El Puerto and its not as attractive as either Cadiz or Jerez, so stick with them. We went to El Puerto specifically to visit an attraction which is only open on specific days, one of them the day we happened to be in port,this time. It had not coincided before. happened on our two previous.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

We actually found a driver who is recommended in Rick Steves based in Seville. He is going to drive to Cadiz to pick 4 of us up and take us on a full-day tour of Seville for 300E. His name is Paul McGrath and he is an Austrailian ex pat who has lived in Seville for 7 years. His website is at http://www.theotherspain.galeon.com/index.html There is an e-mail address to contact him on his website.

After we return in October, I will post the results of our trip with him. If you Google him, there seem to be other good reviews. I found his name on these boards. I think the-other-spain may have been recommended here.

Claire1, thank you for sharing this thread with me. I also read many positive reviews for that guide, and we are considering using him for a day trip while we are staying in Seville (he takes passengers to a few villages outside Seville).

Edinburgher, thank you so much for leaving that information for me, and that is exactly the kind of information that we needed. I appreciate your candor and the report on what worked well and what didn't work well for your day trip to Jerez. And the additional information on El Puerto was helpful too. My in-laws will be in Edinburgh on a ground trip for a week in September. My father-in-law was stationed there when they married 50 years ago (he went on to work for IBM for 35 years), so they wanted to return there for this special anniversary. Then they go on to London for a week. I wish I could go too because we love Edinburgh, but we'll have to add that to our travel wish list for now.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

Donna, glad it was helpful. Just dont judge Jerez on the walk from the station to the centre....its pretty dreary and drab along that way. Think you will like it and combining with Cadiz should give you a lovely day out. In Jerez do go into the Alcazar. its interesting, and may even have been free, cant quite remember. And it has a pretty and tranquil garden inside as well as shaded areas and benches just outside. These overlook the Cathedral and Gonzales Biaz sherry house. (visits) I dont think our ships excursion went into the Alcazar, cant think why not. There should be info online, also from the tourist offices where they hand out maps, sherry tasting and tour info etc. They are very helpful.

Theres also Tourist info in Cadiz, centrally situated in a square only 5 mins from the port. Its a pleasant town to stroll around.

Hope your in-laws enjoy their visit here. Tell them its now £1 flat fare any distance on the buses, but a day ticket is £2-30 and can be used as often as you like. Exact fare needed.

Thank you again, Edinburgher, for leaving all of this helpful information to us. I'll pass your tip along to my in-laws (they're staying at the Channings and will use the buses I'm sure).

My best to you with your travels,

Donna

• 1 month later...

Please DON'T use the tour guide I noted above for trips to Seville. We just returned from Europe and Paul McGrath was not able to take us from Cadiz to Seville because he doesn't have a license to provide tours in Cadiz. He told us the local authorities would not allow him to pick up any one in Cadiz and would follow him if he even tried. So he is NOT an option in Cadiz.

Archived