"Cayman Pirate Excursion"

Terri102066

Has anyone taken the "Cayman Pirate Excursion"? We have already did Hell, Turtles, and stingrays and was looking for something else. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Is the Cayman Pirate Excursion geared more to children or adults? Any information on this or anything else that would be different, please let me know.

Terri

HI. We were on the Pirate Cruise 8/7/06. It was dh, myself, ds 13years, ds 17 years. It wasn't a bad excursion but we were a bit disappointed. It is run by 3 (very young) pirates. They are nice, but not too into their "roles". The really young kids seemed to enjoy it. They were grouped together and told to "swab" the deck - some with scrub brushes, some with tooth brushes. then the parents were asked if all the kids were well behaved. an older girl was "tied" (loosely, safely,) to the rail and they dumped salt water on her (nothing mean or dangerous). this was met with loud giggles from the young kids. Then the kids were asked if any of the parents had misbehaved and a parent got the same treatment!

After that, the captain anchored the boat and put out a ladder and let everyone swim. they also put out a "plank" (like walk the plank) but didn't really do any kid of acting or show. Also allowed anyone to stand on the rail and jump into the water. That was the only part my kids enjoyed (of course, they also liked the girl pirate.....).

There was soda. As we got off the pirate ship someone asked about the rum punch the advertisement promised. they responded "oh, yeah. it's over there". too late.

You have to tender from the cruise ship to the pier, then tender from the pier to the pirate ship, tender back to the pier and then tender back to the cruise ship.

We did have fun, but it wasn't anywhere near as much fun as the last time in Cayman (Stingrays!). I'd give the excursion a C.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info. My DH and I went to Grand Cayman in Jan. and did the stingray thing. We are taking our kids (14, 8, and 6) and they are afraid to swim with the stingrays and love pirates and want to do this but I had not read anything about it. Now not sure what to try....

Sofunky, my kids were 17 & 13 on the pirate cruise. their high point was the "girl pirate" (gotta love those hormones!). 2 years prior we did the sting ray thing. My kids weren't thrilled about swimming with the rays, but they got into the water for a look around and then sat on the boat. The water is so absolutely clear that they could see everything going on from the safety of the boat. while they didn't get into "touching" or "kissing" the rays, they enjoyed the adventure and they will never forget it.

whatever you decide to do, it's just great to be somewhere with the family and enjoying new experiences....even if they are a little "slimey":eek: .

have a great trip

thy majority of the trip is spent on the top deck,(no shade) but there is a lower deck(again, no shade) and then the "inside" area of the boat. the "captain" told us that there was a kitchen and bathrooms back there, but I didn't go to that area. Not sure if there would be enough room for you to spend the trip there. Apparently, the pirates live on the ship.....

When we went in August, a sun hat and lotion were sufficient for the very pale members of our family. The cruise was quite early for us (10 am I think) and we were back before the sun was too hot.

yo ho ho

Archived