Tropical Jungle Paradise Tour in Puerto Vallarta?

Arisia

Has anyone been on a ship sponsored tour called Tropical Jungle Paradise Tour in Puerto Vallarta? Carnival offers it and I'm sure that other cruise lines offer the same tour. It includes a bus ride to El Eden where Predator was filmed and offers an optional hike and swim. Could anyone tell me how strenuous the hike was and if the tour was enjoyable?

Any information would be appreciated.

Kathy

We did that one back in 2003 and to be honest, we were disappointed! The hike was fine - not too strenuous or anything. We had been told that kids could swim in the water and there was a natural water slide (if there was, we didn't see it!) and that they could swing into the river on a rope swing. Believe me, we were prepared to have a great time and went in with a good attitude! Well, they said Ryan couldn't do it because he was too young (11) even though I had seen pictures of kids younger than him doing it! I argued a bit (Ryan is a typical California surfer boy and very strong swimmer, so he wasn't going to be in any danger expecially since I knew they had let even younger kids do it!) but they wouldn't bend. At the time, you couldn't just order side dishes (like chips and salsa, or a taco or two) you had to order a huge plate of food for 4 people at $25. If we had been hungry it would have been fine, but we weren't hungry enough for a full-on meal so we just passed. The people at the restaurant were not very friendly or helpful and we were totally disappointed in the tour (didn't let it ruin our cruise however! ;) ) I think everyone in our group was a bit let down, I don't think anyone ordered food because you had to order such a large quantity of it - but it was a pretty spot. The ride to El Eden was nice, and the tour guide (Victor) was informative and interesting so it wasn't a total waste! Wouldn't do it again, however.

I believe they are more flexible in their menu now, and that they do let kids swing into the river. (Don't know what their problem was around the time we were there, maybe some child had gotten hurt???) They also have a canopy tour (zip lines) available, but after our first experience with El Eden, we passed and did the de los Veranos zip lines! Had a total blast!!! ;)

Lurkeyloo,

Would love to chat with you. Seems like we have the same idea when it comes to the ports. I am going in Jan. and would love to ask you for some advice.

Heather

We did de los Veranos in Puerto Vallarta - loved it! (Zip lines, then margaritas and lunch while the kids swam in the river with rope swings and water slides.) Here's the link:

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

After the tour, we took a taxi to the main strip along the beach and just walked around, saw the cathedral and statues and then stopped into Carlo's O'Brians for a few drinks!

In Mazatlan we did Randi's Happy Horses - horse ride on the beach and then you end up at Victor's - a cool restaurant on the beach with the best garlic shrimp and ribs ever! They also have chicken and coconut shrimp that is lovely and wonderful smoothies! Very nice relaxing day! Here's the link:

http://www.randishappyhorses.com/index.html

When we headed back to the ship, the driver in the open air truck said he would take us on a quick 1 hour tour of Mazatlan for $5.00 each, so a group of us did it - it was a great way to see the city before heading back!

In Cabo we took a glass bottom boat around the rock formations (you can get them on the pier for $10 per person!) Then my hubby and son went snorkeling at Lover's Beach while the girls went shopping and to Cabo Wabo in town!

To see my pictures, just click on my picture link below! And if you have any questions - ask away! We had a blast in every port and the cruise was just delightful in every way!

we did the tropical jungle tour on NCL in jan in pv,,

it was a nice drive and a nice area. but it was humid.. and the hike was about 45 min up... it was hard for me, im not small. but i did it. it was nice. the water is toooo cold to swim in, they served a nice lunch,,

i did get about 100 bites from insects on me, and alot of people turned around after the hike started since it was too hard, the description of the tour on NCL website described walking, and to bring comfortable shoes.nothing about actual hiking.. which i did thank god, but nothing about bug repellant,, it was crazy..

but honestly.. it was nice.. if you like to hike..

you can also not hike and stay at the resturant area or swim..

if you click on my link , you will see some pics in there....

take care

Thanks for the information about the PV tour Lurkyloo and Melika. Melika, your pictures are great--thanks! I'll definitely give a little more thought to which tour to take in Puerto Vallarta. It sounds like it could be fun; however, we're going in September and I can imagine that a hike in the jungle could be VERY hot and humid! Thanks again for all of the info!

Kathy

Thanks Lurkyloo!!! I am planning on doing everything you did!! I am already signed up with a group for Randi's, thanks on the tip to get a boat right at the pier. That will save $$. For this zip lining trip, where do we meet the group?? I read something about a taxi ride. Was that hard to do?? I am cruising by myself and have found a roomie. She is going to do zip lining and I might be seeing the arches on my own. Will I be safe. Single woman alone.

Thanks Lurkyloo!!! I am planning on doing everything you did!! I am already signed up with a group for Randi's, thanks on the tip to get a boat right at the pier. That will save $$. For this zip lining trip, where do we meet the group?? I read something about a taxi ride. Was that hard to do?? I am cruising by myself and have found a roomie. She is going to do zip lining and I might be seeing the arches on my own. Will I be safe. Single woman alone.

In Puerto Vallarta, I printed out the map to the de los Veranos office from the website, but we grabbed a taxi and he knew exactly where it was without the map. (But you might want to do that just in case) From the office, you take their bus to the ziplines (which is included in the price!) After the ziplines, we returned to the office and there were taxis waiting. We grabbed a taxi and asked to be dropped at Hooters. Then we just walked along the main strip (beach side) and saw the statues, and walked over to the cathedral (which you can see from the famous statue of the boy and the seahorse). We stopped in Carlos O'Briens for drinks and then took a taxi back to the ship. I would feel safe even on my own doing this.

In Mazatlan, take the (free) tram from the ship to the little square - Randi will be waiting there for you with a sign. She will take it from there - Easy as pie!

In Cabo, on the pier there will be many glass bottom boats just waiting to take you around the rock formations for about $10pp. There will no doubt be others from the ship that will go on the boat ride with you! After the ride, just ask anyone on the pier where Cabo Wabo is and you can walk there in about 10 or 15 minutes. Lots of cute shops, and of course wonderful Margaritas! Again - I would feel totally safe doing this even on my own! There are plenty of tourists around and it is a very comfortable laid back atmosphere! Just use your good common sense like you would anywhere else!

If you have any questions - feel free to ask away! ;)

When we were stopped at PV last October, we rented a jeep and drove to El Eden ourselves. The natural water slide was a lot of fun, but does require a little bit of climbing on some rocks. My 11 yr old daughter did the rope swing, and nobody was monitoring it at all. I doubt they are too concerned about liability - good luck suing them. It could be that the tour company was concerned though, and they may have been the ones preventing the young one from jumping. Anyone can swim in the water. We didn't do the hike, but the area was very beautiful. And we could order whatever we wanted on the menu. The prices weren't great, but the food was pretty good. Afterward we stopped at Mismaloya beach, but that was disappointing.

When we were stopped at PV last October, we rented a jeep and drove to El Eden ourselves. The natural water slide was a lot of fun, but does require a little bit of climbing on some rocks. My 11 yr old daughter did the rope swing, and nobody was monitoring it at all. I doubt they are too concerned about liability - good luck suing them. It could be that the tour company was concerned though, and they may have been the ones preventing the young one from jumping. Anyone can swim in the water. We didn't do the hike, but the area was very beautiful. And we could order whatever we wanted on the menu. The prices weren't great, but the food was pretty good. Afterward we stopped at Mismaloya beach, but that was disappointing.

That was what was so strange - in researching excursions before the cruise, I had actually seen pictures of kids swinging into the river at El Eden! That's why when we got there I was just dumbfounded when the waiter said no, he couldn't use it! I even checked with someone else (who I was told was the manager) and said that I had seen pictures of other kids that had been allowed in the past, and had even been told by the guy selling the excursions on the ship that it was like a little paradise where kids can swing into the river, but they still wouldn't budge! I don't know why they refused that day, but several months later I did see on this board that other kids had been allowed so maybe it was just a phase they were going through! I am sure they changed the food policy because nobody was buying the big meals. I think everyone on our tour would have bought a taco, or chips and salsa or something if they had allowed ala cart, but nobody was that hungry!

At any rate, it was a pretty place, but de los veranos was much better IMO! Everyone there was very professional and friendly! I just can't say enough nice things about it!

Thanks Lurkeyloo!! It sounds great and I wish it was January now!!! About how far is the office for ziplining by taxi. I now it said something about scheduling and the time difference too. I want to make sure I book the proper time.

Thanks Lurkeyloo!! It sounds great and I wish it was January now!!! About how far is the office for ziplining by taxi. I now it said something about scheduling and the time difference too. I want to make sure I book the proper time.

If you tell them you are on a cruise, they will book you for the 11:00 (which is 10:00 ship time!) - that will give you plenty of time to get there! It is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the ship. We got off the ship as soon as it docked and grabbed a taxi - we were there in plenty of time! Ride to the restaurant/zip lines is a kick - you ride in an open air bus - bumpy ride, and beautiful views! Would do it again in a heartbeat! Enjoy!

Archived