Paranoid or PMS?

pamperedprincess

I appear to be having a pre-cruise breakdown (one of many to come, I'm sure). I've cruised Alaska before with my mother-in-law, but now I'm going with my dear hubby, and I want everything to be perfect.

To complicate matters, I've become a bit paranoid about some of the more adventurous excursions. We were going to do the rock climbing in Skagway, but visions of "Cliffhanger" and "Vertical Limit" keep dancing through my head. Last time I did the heli-hike on a glacier, this time I think one of us will fall into a crevasse and have to be left for dead. Hubby is incredibly sweet about this, respects my fears, willing to go whatever direction I decide. But I fear that a somewhat sedentary cruise could lessen his experience.

What's wrong with me? Can a sedentary cruise with a massage each day and leisurely walks in port towns be fulfilling? Should I bite the bullet, harness up and grab my ice axe and stop whining? Could my hormones be causing an advanced case of "nesting syndrome?"

I know these boards offer more than just advice, they offer therapy. Please guide me, my cruise sherpas. And thanks for listening.

princess,

GO FOR IT! I don't know your age or physical condition, but if you've already done the heli-hike once, I'm sure you are ABLE! You will SO regret a "sitting around" cruise -- save that for when you come home exhausted from having so much FUN!! Your hubby deserves to have all the adventurous experiences that Alaska is famous for! and so do you!!

Besides, the more active and outgoing your excursions are, the less you have to hit the gym on board! :D And the less guilt you have at dinner time!:o

You are probably just hormonal for some reason (are you in your 40's or 50's??) and you will bounce out of it soon! How far away is your cruise? We are leaving in 18 days!:eek:

We have a lot of adventurous activities planned such as heli-glacier trekking, kayaking, hiking, snorkeling, fishing, etc. And we're taking our 2 teens (19 & 17) so we'll be sure not to "get lazy!"

Don't worry...have fun!

sarahjane

I can certainly respect your fears. My husband wanted to go on a Summit flight and I really hate flying, but booked with him because if he was going to die......I was going with him. I feared an accident and couldn't let him go without me. I was lucky because it was canceled due to the smoke from all of the forest fires. I did feel bad for him, but relieved for the both of us.

I think you should do what you both enjoy doing and try not to worry. I'm pretty sure that they have every safety feature as to avoid any disasters. It wouldn't be good for their business if they didn't think of everything to keep people protected. Have fun!

Bite the bullet! I'm 43 and had some slight anxiety doing the Helicopter/glacier hike and the Misty Fjord seaplane rides, but they were both spectacular! I felt exhilarated after conquering my fears. I've realized that I could either die living life or die sitting on the sidelines. Which one would you regret more? Have a fabulous time!

You all are so nice. I really appreciate the thoughtful and kind replies. You helped ease my fears, and made me look at it differently. I've never wanted to be ruled by fear, and you helped me to remember that. I know as a kid I was fearless, and I plan to be a big kid on this cruise, so I better get the right attitude to go along with it!

So we're doing the rock climbing, and the heli-hike, and I will squeeze all the gusto out of them that I can!

Archived