Protecting Valuables while Snorkeling

SnorkelFool

I plan to snorkel at Cinnamon Bay on St John. I don't believe that they have lockers like at Trunk Bay. Any recommendations on securing valuables while not on the beach?

I'm most concerned with my digital camera that I plan to bring with me. I don't plan to use it in the water but rather for pictures to/from St John and on St Thomas.

I figure I can buy some water tight container to hold my cruise card, cash and credit cards, but would love recommendations on what to buy for that as well.

We had the same problem long ago and discovered something called a "dry wallet". I just "googled" the phrase "snorkeling wallet" and found links to a lot of online dive shops which sell such a thing. However, I would never put my digital camera in one, as it's just too important to me. So, we take our dry wallet and put in our credit card, IDs, passports, shipboard card, and take one or two Fuji disposable cameras (which we snorkel with, anyway). I have taken land shots with it, as well, and the quality is fair to good. Then, we leave our towels and clothes on the beach and hope for the best. Generally, we find a place to drop the stuff near other tourists or by a concession stand (where we make sure that we buy something) and nothing has ever been taken.

Karen

Archived