Victory/NYC/Weehawken/Parking Alternatives

boomboom51

I know there has been some discussion about parking in Weehawen and taking the Ferry, but I would like to hear form some of you who have done this.

In particular I am interested in knowing how secure the parking is in Weehaken for five days?

Also is there lots of parking? Any problem getting a spot on Monday morning?

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance. We sail on the 26th and although we are getting excited, I am not looking froward to driving in Manhatten Monday morning rush hour!!

I'm hardly expert, since I've only been there a handful of times. However, I believe that parking in Weehawken is more of a commuter lot. I don't think it is heavily patroled. You might find better answers by checking out these websites: NYWaterway and NYCDOT . I do know you have to pay for the lot but, like I said, I'm not sure it's heavily patroled... Maybe someone in NJ can answer better than someone from Staten Island.

I parked at Weehawken in September for a 7 day cruise. It was a Saturday and the lot was of course very empty so had a space up front near the building. I don't think it is "patroled" too much, however, you cannot get out of the lot unless you pay for the parking and then use that ticket to have the gate "opened". It is a very big lot and on a Monday morning expect it to get full. When I arrived on the NY side I walked to the pier and rolled my one piece of luggage (it was not raining). You can also take a taxi or the "Waterway" bus. I would definitely do it again.

I also have been on the Victory and had to deal with the NYC traffic. It was crazy.... We had to wait 45 minutes to get though the Lincoln Tunnel. I posted on your other thread and informed you that I have taken the ferry and it is much easier (if you can walk and it does not rain). If it was me, I would park on NJ side for sure.

Went to all the sites mentioned, Thanks. I couldn't find out how much the parking was per day. Also do you pay for each day on a 2 day CTN. Example pay for Friday , Sat and Sun? because in the NY cruise parking terminal you pay only 2 days.

We are looking into this as an option for our CTN in October. So the walk is only about 5 mins? Is that based on a speedwalker's time or a slow walker like me?? LOL! Plus since I will be sailing I know it will rain!!!! It did the day we left and came back last year on our Legend cruise!! Thanks for the info!!!

Ok, by looking on the http://www.nywaterway.com/portimperial_w38.html website, it says that parking at the Weekhawken station is $7 or $9 on weekdays (depending on what time you arrive) and $7 a day on weekends. Plus the ferry itself costs $5.50 per person each way. I just worry about whether they will have spots available when we arrive on Friday morning, since it is a regular workday. :rolleyes:

So wouldn't it be cheaper to just park at the pier? $28.00 a day for two days is $56.00. Parking at Weehawken is $7.00 a day for 2 days plus $11.00 per person for the ferry. If there are 4 people that comes to $58.00. What am I missing here?

So wouldn't it be cheaper to just park at the pier? $28.00 a day for two days is $56.00. Parking at Weehawken is $7.00 a day for 2 days plus $11.00 per person for the ferry. If there are 4 people that comes to $58.00. What am I missing here?

What I think your missing is maybe the traffic!!! I think that is what the others are concerned about - who wants to sit in the tunnel for 45 mins! I don't mind driving through without stopping but 45 mins just to get through?? I have only been this way once and that was last October on a Saturday so I do not know how bad the traffic is on a Friday but that is one main concern. Does this make sense now??

Terri

OH OK I thought you were looking at the price comparison to do that as opposed to parking at the pier. That's why I was sooooooo confused!!!!!! We are just driving to the pier and parking. At least I think that's what we are doing.......I didn't really give it much thought yet!!! Maybe I should hurry up and figure this out since we already made a hotel reservation for our cruise out of New York in May!!!!!! I'm falling behind on this one!!!

I use the Weehawken ferry terminal regularly for business in Manhattan. Even on a workday there are always parking spots available, it is a very large lot. However you may be some distance from the ferry.

However I would probably not use it for a 7 day cruise. It is a fairly long walk from the lot to the terminal and then up a crowded ramp to the ferry. With luggage that could be difficult. For a 2 day with just one suitcase and a carryon, it might be manageble.

It's really a commuter lot and security at night is low. There is a restaurant there and after that closes, almost no one is around.

On the Manhattan side, you are at about 38th Street. They have free buses to midtown. The 57th St. bus is probably the best, it runs up 12th Avenue. You will have to drag your luggage on and off the bus but they are seldom full. The buses can drop you off at any MTA bus stop. There are not many stops near the ship terminal, you may have to walk a block or two.

Jim

I would say it is every bit of 15 to 20 minutes of walking. If you have a lot of luggage, parking at Weehawken may not be your answer. We were on the Dawn for seven days and parked at Weehawken and took the ferry in Feb 2004. We got lucky no snow or rain.

I hate to run this into the ground, but now I'm a little confused (go figure)!

I understand it is a 15 or 20 minute walk from where the ferry docks in Manhattan to the ship, correct?

Is it also a 15 or 20 minute walk from ferry parking lot to ferry? And would it be that much of a hassle with a large piece luggage on wheels?

Thanks in Advance

You can be dropped off close to the ferry terminal. It is not there that is the problem. Its the walk from the ferry to the ship. I am a woman and I tote a 30" piece of luggage and a carry on and I do just fine. I hope this answers your questions, if not just ask....

Wendy

The ferry docks at W. 38th St. and 12th Ave. The NYC Passenger Ship Terminal is at W. 51st St. and 12th Ave. That's 13 blocks up a busy street that is not pedestrian friendly. To walk that with luggage would take at least 20 minutes of fairly sweaty effort. If you did take the ferry, using the buses or a cab to get you closer is a very good idea.

Overall, I don't think the Weehawken ferry is a practical way to get to the ship. Even with connecting buses there is a lot of walking. You will have to wrangle your luggage on and off the ferry and buses/cab.

After all that trouble, you will not save as much money as you should. The costs would be:

Weehawken parking $7/day X 7 days = $49

Ferry tickets $11 round trip X 2 persons = $22

Cab in Manhattan (optional) $10 x 2 trips = $20

That's $91 with a lot of lugging and walking anyway.

Jim

Hi Jim!!! Thanks for the info!!! We are only going for 2 days so it would be cheaper but it does sound like a lot of walking and this girl is not "walker friendly"!!! :D But I will do whatever my group wants - especially since I am NOT driving!!! Thanks for the info!!

Terri

Archived