Shore Diving - Grand Cayman?

vtxriders

We just returned from a cruise in which we dove in St. Thomas and St. Maartin. The experience was so bad in St. Maartin (dove w/ the ship excursion - 1st and last time) that my husband, who is a relatively new diver, doesn't know if he ever wants to dive again.

We just booked another cruise for next month and I have him talked into diving at Grand Caymen but I think it would help if we did a shore dive or two - do not want any cattle boats or rough seas.

He has loved his past experiences but this last one was just too much. I want him to be able to relax and enjoy it again.

I have read a bit about Eden Rock and the Turtle Farm. Any reviews or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have done extensive diving in Grand Cayman, both shore and boat. I think that the best shore dive is at Divetech/Turtle Farm. There is a mini-wall 55-60 feet. To the left is a large school of tarpon. There is occasionaly a current which would dictate which direction you would take. It is my favorite night dive anywhere. Eden Rock/Devils Grotto are just a short distance toward the south end of town. Very interesting swim throughs, but can be confusing the first time or two. They do offer a guide for $25, I think. Little in the way of live coral here. South of town is also Don Foster's for a shallow reef. Another favorite (south) is Sunset House. There you can see the famous Cayman Mermaid and a small wreck. Also, if you time it right, the Atlantis sub goes by and you can be the entertainment!

Archived