Compressing Space bags on cruises

I am trying to pack and wanted to use space bags which makes great storage space in a suit case but a little worried that I would not be able to use house keeping vaccuum to deflat them on my departure. Does anyone know if you vaccuums on cruises have hoses and if housekeeping would allow guest to use it?

Sailing Vision of the Sea 8/11/06

Hi there, We always use these. We bought an air matress long ago that came with a pump with may different nozzel attachments. It is very small and that is what we bring with. One of the attachments suck the air right out and has never failed us. Word of caution though...you can pack so much in one suitcase using this method that your suitcase may go over the airline weight limits. Then you have to pay an extra 25.00 at the counter. We weigh the bags at home to make sure we are still under...

TheMiz - I got mine from QVC, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere. Just try searching for Pack Mates and I'm sure you'll find them.

Hoping to find something local , as we leave in 7 days

Or buy from Target, Walmart, etc. the 2 gallon zip lock bags. Pack the bags, sit on them to push out the air and you are set to go.

This is exactly what I do and it works great. I put a complete outfit in each. That way, no guessing what goes with what (for DH):D . And the best part of all is buy Walmart, Target, or Kroger brand and they are cheaper than Ziplock.

The Wal-Marts and Targets here in SC both have the vaccum space bags and the travel type where you roll the air out. (I know one of them had the bags made by Samsonite)

I found them back in the luggage section, with the luggage tags, straps, passport holders and other travel accesories.

Bill

I just use the 2 gallon ziplocks bags. Hefty has 2.5 gallon bags (they have sliders) 12 for $3.23 at my local Wal-Mart and the Ziploc ones are 2 gallons for 10 for $3.35.

Have used both American Tourister Space Saver Bags-the ones you roll up to get the air our and Pack Mates.

The 2 gallon ziplock bags are cheaper to replace if they don't survive the trip. I haven't had success in getting the Travel Bags to last for more than about 2 trips, and that is fine, but it is cheaper to go by another box of 2 gallons than to pay for 5 more Travel Bags $8.46 at the Wal-Mart this week if I remember correctly.

Kelly J

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they only had the Large Space Bags and they were $9.99.

I found them in 2 different sections in the store but never thought to look in the lugage area.

Yeah, the Wal-Marts here put the space bags all over the store on those side hanging displays. (I saw them last weekend, on the end of the p[ot and pan aisle and on the end of the light bulb aisle.)

I guess items like that are major impulse buys, so they stick them all over the place, hoping you stumble upon them.

Bill

Archived