How Bad Off Will I Be With A Rental Mask

Leo Jay

Some more novice questions:

1. I know buying your own mask is ideal, but I've never snorkeled and don't know if I ever will again, so I don't want to spend money irresponsibly. I guess my question is, could a less-than-ideal-fitting rental mask could be so uncomfortable that it ruins the whole experience for me? Or is a rental likely to be at least 'okay'?

2. Also, for sanitary purposes, I'm thinking about at least buying my own snorkel tube, but is there a chance that the tube I buy won't be compatible with the rental mask I end up with? In otherwords, should I either rent both or buy both? Or am I okay buying the tube and renting the mask?

3. Will I need to rent flippers, or will watershoes be okay? (I can't swim, so I won't really be able to do any 'diving' anyway).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

if you go on a tour they will supply everything.. including flippers.. you should not have a problem with a snorkel fitting the mask.. the help on the excursion will attach it for you if you have a problem doing it yourself.. however, if you are buying a snorkel you may as well buy the mask also and just use the vest and fins from the tour

We've all gone throught the rental mask stage. The boat crew should help you to adjust your mask for the best possible fit if you ask for help. Having your own mask that fits properly is ideal, but if you've never tried it and don't know if you'll ever do it again, it does seem silly to spend the money you'd need to spend to get a good mask. Just don't go buy a cheap one.

You can just buy a snorkel. They attach with a 'snorkel keeper' that should fit any mask. If you are worried about hygeine why not just take a travel bottle of hydrogen peroxide or listerine with you and pour it over the mouthpiece of the snorkel. You might foam a little, but if it makes you feel better........

We rented everything on our first snorkling excursions. We didn't have any problems with the rented equipment, except that it appeared that all the outfitter did to clean the snorkel and mask was to dip them in saltwater and hang them up to dry. I don't have any germ phobias, but this time we did decide to purchase our own mask and snorkle. We got a couple nice sets and didn't spend alot of money. And you might look goofy at home with it on, but you'll have the opportunity to wear it a bit and get used to having the mask on and breathing with the snorkle.

Unless you are just doing a Stingray City trip where you just stand in the water, you will need fins. And since you don't swim, you will need a snorkel vest. If you need to rent both of these, you might as well use the equipment they give you. Try several of the masks, they may vary in size and fit a little bit. Put it on you face-flip the strap forward and out of the way, making sure there is no hair stuck in the seal (ring around the mask that is against your skin.) Breath in gently with your nose. The mask should form a seal and stick to your face. If this does not happen, try another mask until one does. Make sure you use defogging drops or spray (not sure if they supply) and rinse quickly in the water (fresh or salt) before putting on. As far as disenfecting the snorkels, maybe bring some disinfectant wipes and clean around the mouthpiece, and then rinse in the water. Never buy a mask unless you try it on. .

Thanks a lot, everyone. I've been doing more pre-cruise spending than I'd planned, what with a new digital camera and underwater case, so I think I'll just bring some sort of disinfectant and rent all the gear.

thedebbied, thanks for the mask fit instructions -- they just got pasted into my Palm PDA. :)

Archived