****Live from the Grand Princess****

T&J

Good Morning.......

I suspect that you're having signal trouble; too many hours since you've last posted. You know we're all waiting to hear about Corfu and now there's someone else looking for Starbucks. :)

Arlene

...Am I that predictable? Yes the satelite has been down since very early this morning until now. Sorry about that guys!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

The internet must be down on the Grand. We haven't heard from Tony since yesterday afternoon.

Yep! You guys all know my routine by now...if I don't post it's because the satelite link is down for sure.

Tony

We'll just got back over 45 minutes ago and we were one of the very few to board the Grand Princess. We left the ship at 8:00am this morning after having breakfast. I had proposed instead of going into Corfu Town we should rent a car and explore as much of the islands costal towns as possible.

I had a rental already reserved at Hertz for 30 euros unlimited mileage for a compact car with air. The car was OK with low miles. First the driver seat would not go back and I couldn't get in behind the streering wheel. So we had to get them to agree to switch cars. Then they said because of the type of car they had left was more expensive they wanted us to pay the difference...I said no way!

Anyway they give us the second car as we are leaving the radio falls out, the knob on the stick shift I end up tearing it out and it's now in my palm of my hand. Wow three cars later and we are on the road finally!

We drove up the North East Coast first from Corfu to Kontokali, Gouvia Beach which was beautifull. We then went to Dassia and Ipsos and Kalami where we watched over huge cliffs looking out onto the ocean. We then stopped and had lunch in Kassiopi, a little fishing villeage by the sea for some great greek food and wine.

We then went to the furthest most tip of the island in Sidari and Roda and Acharavi Beach.

We then drove a little bit further down the West Coast of Corfu and stopped in Agios Stefanos and Agios Georgios which both had beautifull volcanic beaches with black sand. The water was warm although Javier said it was cold.

Before we knew it...it was almost 4:00pm and we had to get back to the ship. We went back and dropped off the car and didn't even bother to complain about the piece of sh*t soap box of a car they gave us because it was already 5:20pm and we had to be onboard technically by 5:30pm as we were sailing at 6:00pm for Katakalon.

We ended up making it onboard the ship at 5:45pm. I am sure our names were being called as they do to call the Pursers desk. How funny would that be spending an extra night in Corfu.

So, I can;t give you a persepective regarding Corfu Town although I did it two years ago and it was OK but nothing to wow you or anything. I much prefer what we ended up doing all day today and exploring the coastline of Corfu.

To tired to go to teh gym now. Going to shower as we all feel very sticky as the temperature was almost 100F today on the island. We can't really complain about the weather we have been getting since August 7th honestly.

Going to go and get showered and ready now for dinner at 8:00pm...I am starving right now I could bite the keyboard!

More to follow later today from the Grand Princes.

Tony and Javier

Okay, I will ask what everyone else would like to ask: Your posts are terrific. Is there anyway we can get you to post your photos when you get home to kodakgallery.com or some other photo share website? Reading your descriptions of the places you've been makes me all the more interested in seeing the photos.

I know that's asking a lot, especially when you're providing such a great service with your trip postings. I at least, wanted to ask.

Thanks.

Tony - do they have an ice cream card (like the pop card)? If so how much is it? Thanks!!

You know I really don't know since I eat ice cream in the Dinning Room at night...but I will find out tomorrow at Scoops onboard to see if they have such a thing.

Tony

Okay, I will ask what everyone else would like to ask: Your posts are terrific. Is there anyway we can get you to post your photos when you get home to kodakgallery.com or some other photo share website? Reading your descriptions of the places you've been makes me all the more interested in seeing the photos.

I know that's asking a lot, especially when you're providing such a great service with your trip postings. I at least, wanted to ask.

Thanks.

I haven't really thought about doing that honestly,but could try and post some of the different ports that we have sailed on the past two cruises.

Tony

Tony, thanks so much for your daily contributions! I found this thread last night and sat and read the entire 17 pages. I guess I need to get a life or maybe it's some kind of therapy. As others have said, it is so much fun to live vicariously through your adventures.

We will be boarding the Grand on November 18th and your insights to the ship will be extreemly useful.

We are also going to be in the Med. next year and appreciate your perspective on each port.

Thanks again!

Tony, I am seeing that another time around is coming up for you on the Tahitian Princess next May. I am waiting with baited breath to see what comes next!

You I haven't as of yet planned anything over June to end of August!

Tony

Tony, thanks so much for your daily contributions! I found this thread last night and sat and read the entire 17 pages. I guess I need to get a life or maybe it's some kind of therapy. As others have said, it is so much fun to live vicariously through your adventures.

We will be boarding the Grand on November 18th and your insights to the ship will be extreemly useful.

We are also going to be in the Med. next year and appreciate your perspective on each port.

Thanks again!

CAcruzfunatic, glad you have enjoyed the postings and the information....You will be on the Grand after she completes her drydock in Palermo, Italy.

Tony

Tony can you check on one more thing for me, PRETTY PLEASE??? If you have time... Can you check on the scrapbook for the grand. How much they/it is? Colors they have, sizes & is there a photo of the ship & it's name on the front? THANK YOU!! I am a scrapbooker.

Wendy, I will check onboard with the Library and see what they have!

Tony

Good Morning from the Grand Princess again!

We are just pulling up alongside our berth here in Katakolon, Greece just before 7:00am local time. Last night was an early night for all. We went to dinner at 8:00pm and had the Greek Dinner on the menu last night. Was pretty good, as I had the spanakopita, a greek salad and the pork souvlaki. They made us a special kind of key lime pie (supposedly greek version) which was tasty and no coffee last night for me. We got out of the dinning room after 10:20pm last night.

Went to the internet cafe to check out CC and some emails and then BED! I couldn't believe it but Javier and I were in bed by 11:00pm. WOW!

It actually felt really good to sleep until 6:30am this morning.

We are all meeting at 8:30am for breakfast and going ashore thereafter.

Today, we have planned not a hell of a lot for here in Katakolon since there isn't a lot to do. Very small little fisihing village with some nice beaches nearby as well. There are so small shops by the pier and renting scooters is also fun place to do so.

If you like ruins you can travel to Olympia and take in the Olympia Ruins. We will not be doing this today.

I have an La Therapie 2 step hydralift facial this afteroon at 2:45pm...can't wait since I have been taking a lot of sun on these two cruises.

More to follow later today from the Grand Princess.

Tony

Hi Tony, thank you so much for your posts. We enjoy reading them very much. One question regarding your car rentals from Hertz, when we check on-line for their daily rates, they are over 100 euros. How did you manage to get such a favorable rate when you rent from them? Thanks.

Hi Tony, thank you so much for your posts. We enjoy reading them very much. One question regarding your car rentals from Hertz, when we check on-line for their daily rates, they are over 100 euros. How did you manage to get such a favorable rate when you rent from them? Thanks.

Depends on the location and also how far in advance you book as well. soem locations for example in Corfu yesterday sell cheaper direct at the counter at Hertz others like Athens much cheaper to book it online in advance. In Italy all car rentals are cheap.

Tony

THANKS so much Tony for letting me sail along. We did a similar itinerary two years ago and it brings back a lot of good memories. Doing the Black Sea in 2007 and that itinerary has a few of your ports as well, so your info is VERY helpful. Take care and enjoy the rest of the voyage.

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply. I just checked the Hertz one day rental rate for Livorno - Calata Carrara and it was about 100 euros for Sept. 25. You paid only 23 euros for your one day rental. How far in advance did you make your reservation? Thanks.

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply. I just checked the Hertz one day rental rate for Livorno - Calata Carrara and it was about 100 euros for Sept. 25. You paid only 23 euros for your one day rental. How far in advance did you make your reservation? Thanks.

I booked mine several months in advance...sometimes as soon as I make my cruise booking then I book the cars as well.

Tony

Archived