Marseilles & VilleFranche

Hello,

Can anyone provide information on whether or not there will be any taxi's for hire when we get off the ship and what to expect to pay.

We are interested in hiring private transportation to take us from Marseilles either Aix en Provence or to Les Baux de Provence. We will be in Marseilles on Sunday.

Also interested in transportation from VilleFranche to Nice/Monaco/Monte Carlo.

I appreciate any replies, suggestions, and information you have to offer.

I can only speak for our experiences (have only docked in Marseille one time in 2004 but have tendered into Villefranche on three cruises and also spent time in the French Riviera on ground trips). I saw quite a few taxis in Marseilles. Keep in mind that the ships call in an industrial port that is far from the tourist area (Vieux Port) in Marseilles. I would recommend the train to Aix en Provence (you can take your ship’s shuttle to Vieux Port and go to the train station from there) but don’t have an opinion on Les Baux because don’t know whether or not it is serviced by trains (we were there on ground trip). I have also read that the bus is also a good option to Aix and that the bus station is right by the train station. I think the taxis were charging 30 Euros to travel from the industrial port in Marseilles to View Port. I did not hear a fare quote from the industrial port to either of the villages that you referenced. Otherwise, I would suggest that you hire a private guide. Have you tried the roll call board for your sailing? It’s usually fairly easy to form a group for private tours by communicating with others on your sailing.

In Villefranche, sometimes taxis are available, but frequently they are not. I have seen many, many tourists looking for cabs that were not available in the French Riviera. The taxis are very expensive in this area, are much more expensive than the private guides, and you will not be assured that you can find a taxi back to the ship to be on time for sailing. If you decide to go this route, I suggest that you go with a back-up plan. We have helped many cruise ship passengers with transportation back to the ship (I speak and read some French) after they panicked when they realized that they could not find a taxi to return to the ship.

In Villefranche, public transportation is readily available to Monte Carlo and to Nice. You can simply climb the hill to board one of the buses that run very frequently (approx every 10 minutes) between those areas. I recommend that you not buy a round-trip ticket because a different bus company may come first when you return. You can also take the short walk to the train station in Villefranche, but I have found that the buses run more frequently, are more convenient, and have a better drop-off point in Nice.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hello,

Can anyone provide information on whether or not there will be any taxi's for hire when we get off the ship and what to expect to pay.

We are interested in hiring private transportation to take us from Marseilles either Aix en Provence or to Les Baux de Provence. We will be in Marseilles on Sunday.

Also interested in transportation from VilleFranche to Nice/Monaco/Monte Carlo.

I appreciate any replies, suggestions, and information you have to offer.

We were in Marsailles last Sunday...there were many cabs available...we took a PCL tour to AixEP...just a 3.5 hr walking tour...took about 30-40 minutes to get there...PCL provided transfers from the port to the Old City for $10 pp roundtrip (shopping in the Old City was very limited;))...there is a tourist train, that you can take to go to the Cathedral/etc, leaving from the town square frequently but we didn't take it...hope this helps

I think Marseilles gets a bum rap due to the yucky industrial port. The Vieux Port area has a lot of charm, and I think your ship will run a shuttle there because there is nothing near the industrial port where you will dock. There is a lot to see in the Vieux Port area. We picked up a walking guide map from the tourist office (it's in the harbor next to a store with a blue front named "Les Baux"), and the black and white striped cathedral is very unique. There is a mini train (looks kind of like something you would see at Disney :)) that you can ride around the area, and I think it goes up to another cathedral high up on the hill.

You may or may not have time to go to the train station to catch a train to Aix, but I think you may be cutting it tight. The train takes an hour to get to Aix and an hour back. See http://www.sncf.com/indexe.htm for train schedules.

My favorite village in that area is Aix-en-Provence. With such a short port stop, I think I would take advantage of the ship's "Aix-en-Provence" on your own or similar excursion to give you transportation to the village and back but leave you free to explore on your own after you arrive.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Unfortunately I missed the cruise two weeks ago with Tanmanny, so can't report first hand..but I was in San Francisco, CA last weekend and was dining at an Italian restuarant. Speaking with the waiter, who looked very Italian, but was indeed French, he highly recommned his home town of Cassis for cruisers coming into Marseille. It is approximately 20 km southeast, easily accessible by train, and a very beautiful fishing village. I did some research on this city, as we will be going next year, and I am planning to visit Cassis. It is beautiful and a wonderful alternative for Marseille.

Cassis is very scenic, and we enjoyed our time there. We went to Cassis on a ground trip, so I don't know how to travel there from the port of Marseilles. It just depends on what you like. We have been to most of villages in the area and like Aix the best. But there are many good options from Marseills. Aix is also very easy to do on your own by train or bus from the Vieux Port area if short port timing is a consideration as it is for the OP.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived