Margaritaville? Ocho Rios

CHIEB2812

Anyone who could tell me the basics of Margaritaville? Like how much? How do you get there from the port? What kinds of things to do there? Is there security onsite? Safe place to be? Shops? Its me, 48, my DH 52, and my DD 22. Is this a younger kind of crowd or would we like it too? We like to lounge around and people watch, my DD and I like to snorkel also, is there a restaurant onsite? Bathrooms? Whats your favorite Margaritas there? Any info would be appreciated! Thanx Bunches!

It's walking distance from the ship.

It's a restaraunt/bar with dj/music/drinking games. Added attraction is the pool w/slide and it is on a beach. Yes, it attracts a young drinking crowd, but it is all in good fun.

You could make a long afternoon of it on the beach.

But don't make it the only thing you do in Ocho Rios - make it the last visit before returning to the ship.

Visit the margaritaville website to look for a coupon for a free (8oz small) margarita.

Safe inside - part of a shopping complex.

You can see it from the ship. It is a short walk from the pier. You need to enter through the Island Village complex. You can have a Cheeseburger in Paradise and a great selection of Margaritas. As mentioned go on the website www.margaritaville.com and look for the Lost Shaker of Salt. It provides you with a free margarita. Print one off for each member of your group so you each get the benefit. There is a beach which is guarded to keep the local vendors away. They will try to get your attention and sell you their wares, but you can just stay where you are and not be hassled. Entrance to the beach is free if you get food/drinks from MV. There are restrooms, a DJ and the like. The water slide looked like fun and during the day it has more of a family atmosphere. There are always those that drink to drink, but when we were there during the day it was a lot of fun. We have also been there at night and it was much different. It is very safe and you would have no trouble being there. Hope this helps.

Hi

DH/I went to Margaritaville last year and it was a lot of fun. Music is very loud by the bar area but if you sit away from that it's not bad. There is a hot tub on the upper level and a dining area if you plan on eating there. Food is very good and the prices aren't that bad. There's a pool with a slide which is very popular. The beach is nice and you will get a great view of the ships in port. There are bathrooms there if you need to use them and there will be some party people there but they are harmless. The shop is next door for Margaritaville items and has a good selection. There's also a dining section by the main bar and pool as well.

Walking distance from the pier is approximately 20 minutes. You will encounter Jamaicans asking you to tour the island, wanting to take a taxi, purchasing items, etc. Just say no thank you and keep walking.

Island Village has some nice shops to wander in if you're interested in looking around. If you're interested in jewelry, my one piece of advice is to not go into Jewels and Time which is located near Margaritaville. DH bought me an anniversary ring there last year and the diamonds keeps falling out. I've been battling with OnBoard Media/Jewels and Time since last year to have this issue resolved and still encountering problems. I don't want to see anyone go through what I'm dealing with right now.

Have a great time in Jamaica!

I agree with Maureen that M'ville shouldn't be the only thing you do in Ocho Rios the day you are there. Hire a driver for the morning to see some sights -like climbing Dunn's River Falls or tubing down the White River or visiting beautiful gardens or the pottery factory. After you have seen one or more of those, then you could have the driver drop you off at MV where you could eat lunch and spend the rest of the day until your ship departs. Many reliable drivers are mentioned here on the board so that you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good guide.

We were in Ocho Rios on July 5 and had a ball. If you would like to see my photos from that day, here is a link to my album.

http://community.webshots.com/album/552503449pdjGlW

Have a great time in Ocho Rios!

Archived