When is the best time...

bencruzN

I book my cruises through a TA and always have her purchase the insurance at the same time. I would recommend you do so now because of the pre-existing conditions clause among other things. I've had my October cruise booked for months and received the insurance papers not long after booking. :)

My TA advises I don't need to purchase the cruise line cancellation insurance until my final payment is due because that is when cancellation penalties start to occur. If I cancel prior to final payment, then I pay for insurance I don't need. Makes sense..

My TA advises I don't need to purchase the cruise line cancellation insurance until my final payment is due because that is when cancellation penalties start to occur. If I cancel prior to final payment, then I pay for insurance I don't need. Makes sense..

The trade-off is:

The third-party plans are non-refundable after a "free look" period -- usually about 10 days. However they can be transferred to another trip. Thus the advice from the TA

With third-party plans you can only get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions if you buy the policy within a certain time frame -- depending on the plan from 7 - 21 days after making the initial deposit on the cruise.

There's your choice -- if you need coverage for pre-existing conditions you can't take a chance on waiting.

Remember the pre-existing condition exclusion also applies to non-traveling family members so if you've got an elderly parent or grandparent, for example, and if something happens to them you'd have to cancel you'd better be sure they don't have pre-existing conditions either.

If you already know you are going to be purchasing it then why wait. Like most insurance coverage pre existing conditions are usually not covered. Check out www.insuremytrip.com and see what works best for you.
If you cancel your cruise for any reason prior to final payment then the cruise line will refund your money, so there's no need for insurance. However, I believe (although I'm not sure) that the insurance is non-refundable.

So on the one hand if you purchase trip insurance immediately and cancel prior to final payment you've wasted the cost of the insurance. On the other hand if you wait until final payment and something happens that is considered a result of a pre-existing condition then you're out of luck.

Also, keep in mind that pre-existing condition applies to not only yourself, but everyone. So if you have to cancel your trip due to an illness or death of a family member, the insurance company will consider that a pre-existing condition if applicable.

Check if the pre-existing condition clause applies to Carnival trip insurance. It didn't the last time I cruised.

The only other thing you may want to look into is the $$ level of coverage provided. That can be a factor for some people.

If you have already booked your cruise, and made your deposit more than 14 days ago, wait until 30 days prior to departure, as pre-existing conditions WILL NOT be covered. If you booked less than 14 days ago, hurry up and make that purchase.

Archived