POH - AF Suite

OptimusPrime

My parents, my sister and I (i.e. 4 adults) are planning on taking the 9/4 sailing next month.

Would it be better to get an AF suite or 2 adjoining rooms?

We would like to be in 1 room/suite, even the connected ones would work. But this close to cruise date I doubt we'd be able to get 2 adjoining cabins with balconies.

It depends on how close you and your sister are. The AF (which btw is a mini-suite and not a full-fledged suite) has two twins that convert to a queen sized bed and a double sofabed so you and your sister would be sharing the sofabed.

There is at least 1 pair of connecting BA cabins on the port side at the time of this posting for your sailing. I'd call your TA or NCl (whoever you're gonna book with) and have them check at the time of booking.

Positives of the BA:

- You get two rooms instead of just one so more space and 2 bathrooms (which can be important if the ladies, or the gentlemen, take a long time in there)

- I believe the divider between the balcony can be openned up so you can have a double-long balcony.

- Book today (Wednesday) and you can get $75 on-board credit for each room. That's $150 total. with the one AF, you'd get $100 total obc.

- These cabins are sandwiched between two cabin decks so theoretically, they should be quiet.

Not so positives:

- Each cabin is smaller than the AF (but you have two connecting ones so the total area of both is larger)

- Shower instead of a bathtub

- No concierge service (which doesn't do much anyways since the AF's are the lowest priority for the concierge)

- Sofa is slightly smaller

- You're gonna pay around $2000 more to have two cabins as opposed to one

Of course, you could always splurge on the AB penthouse or A3 courtyard villa categories. These two are essencially the same but the A3 is higher up on deck 14 and has access to the private sundeck and courtyard. These rooms have a master bedroom and beautiful master bath as well as a living room, dining area, a second bedroom with a double sofabed and a pullman bed and another standard bathroom. You also get concierge and butler service. Expect to pay $2000 more than the AF for the AB and $4000 more than the AF for the A3. Of course all of these prices are rough estimates and do not take into account the possibility of upsells.

Here's an ice photo gallery of the ship:

Balcony pics start here

Mini-Suite pics start here

Courtyard Villa pics start here (AB has the same layout)

Two adjoining rooms would be better than 4 in minisuite if cost were equal, but I doubt it is. The 3rd and 4th in a room are heavily discounted. I think that would be a great setup though if you could afford it.

The AF's on the pride of America are family suites better designed to accomodate the extra people in your group than the minisuite on PoH. Only a little bigger inside, but better laid out for 4. The balcony is almost double size. If you are willing to sacrifice view, the AG are huge inside but 100% obstructed.

You could also take a glance at AB on PoH, on certain sailings the pricing isn't so crazy. It'd be a little tight for you and your sister in the 2nd small room but your parents would love the master bed/bath and you all would love the suite level perks. Or you could ask about a family plan discount, where you get an AE for your parents and inside or balcony room for you&sis at 50% discount.

Just got back and had a mini-suite, it is great....FOR 2....

There is VERY LITTLE room between the wall and the end of the bed.

There are no nightstands just shelves next to the bed.On one side of the bed is the closet.You have to lean against the bed to open the doors.

RIGHT NEXT to the shelf on the other side of the bed is the sofa bed. There is a cutain in between.

If you convert the sofa to a bed there would be NO space left in the room and no access to the balcony except to step over the bed !

I would recommend this for 4 ONLY IF THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY.

Archived