private guide in Venice and high tide in November

Hi! We will be spending 3 days pre cruise in Venice, and were thinking about using a private guide for 2 hours on the day we arrive. We will be staying in the S. Croce section, and thought that it might be nice to have a guide for a few hours, just to get our feet wet, do the highlights and then the rest on our own. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas for us? Also, does anyone know the the type of flooding we can expect in Venice in November at St. Mark's Square if its high tide? Thanks.

Barb

March and November are the 2 months with the most flooding in Venice, so you need to be prepared for it.

Have you considered contacting your hotel to ask them for a recommendation for a guide in Venice? The city is not all that huge, and you could probably do most of it on your own with a good guide book... and a REALLY good map. :)

Most of the travel guidebooks list at least a few private tour operators. Try Rick Steves Italy or Italy for Dummies (my personal favorite) - or maybe Fodors. I think they offer the best info, but that is of course MHO.

Go by yourselves (after the appropriate research previous to arriving) to the Doge Palace, Rialto Bridge, Piazza San Marco, the Jewish Ghetto, the lobby of the Danieli Hotel, the Cafe Florian, the Peggy Guggenheim, a water taxi or gondola ride, and see all of the stores along all of the winding, narrow streets on the way to and from Rialto Bridge.

You don't need a private guide in Venice (in my humble opinion). You will gain nothing more than if you just read the DK Guide (you know the one with all those marvelous pictures) before and during your stay.

My wife and I have been in Venice in early December -- similar to when you will be there. It was indeed high tide. The water washed up from the Canal and lagoons right to the walls of the buildings and about a foot or two deep.

The city of Venice puts up these wood planks that you walk on all over the city instead of the sidewalk. It really goes to prove that Venice is like Disneyland with a constant flow of people in certain predictable and pre-determined places, which is how they know exactly where to put up all of the wooden planks to walk on.

While summer in Venice is very nice, Autumn and Early Winter do have a special magic about it. Apart from the rain and the high tides, the city does smell better, it is covered with a magical mist, and all of those beautiful stores that are on every winding street in Venice become alive with their Christmas lights, ornaments, gifts, Carnaval masks, etc.

Hope you have a marvelous stay.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I would agree that Venice is one place a guide is probably not required. A good guidebook with maps probably is. We had good luck with AAA's Spiral guide to Venice which not only has excellent maps but several guided tours that they walk you through.

Given the time of year you are going to be there you may want to pack some rubber boots because there may be areas of the city you will need them.

Here is a very good web site with lots and lots of info on Venice,

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great stay in a wonderful city.

Archived