RC formal nights- what is acceptable?

vavoom

If you mean is it Emily Post/Miss Manners socially proper attire, the answer is definitely, No.

I have to diagree . a pair of dressy slacks with low heels or flats..and sparklie nice top can very much be formal..its all in how you accesorize

What about a man? My husband is a Cop and I wont get Him in a suit again til His Funeral..Is a nice dress shirt with slacks and a tie ok?

They will not throw anyone out for being underdressed (that I've ever seen), so no, there will be no problem with him wearing that. Many people are less dressed up than it sounds like he will be. And others will be all out in a tux. It doesn't really matter. If he is comfortable in what he's wearing, then it is good enough.

This subject always irritates me and is asked just to get a rise out of others I think...

It does me as well...

My wife and I have decided after reading these responses that we want to sit at the table on our next cruise with Joie, the Harley Davidson family and the woman who has a cop for a spouse. Add the 71 year old woman and we will rock the dining room. Play a 70's tune and we will all dance in our not so formal wear! The cop can negotiate us out of trouble.

Now, Harley family, imagine your wife coming to dinner and telling some of her snobby table guests how she spent 4 hours riding a "Fat Boy" over the weekend. That would give them a wedgie it would take a week to work out :)

Here's to Golden Retrievers, Harleys, old people and new friends you meet while cruising. Look at the photos in this link and see the Golden Retriever that runs our home in FAVORITES, and then you can see what my Harley looks like. It has taken on the image of a Camry for our teenager. Toys for the adults after college fund :(

Join us for the Rhapsody trip next June, 4 ports in 7 days and no snobs allowed...

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Drink Upstream From The Herd

I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death. I was on the Rhapsody cruise recently and since it sails out of Galveston, you got quite a few Proud Texans on board. After I saw a majority of them in jeans on formal night, I figured all bets are off. As mentioned before, formal is defined differently by people and always will be.

Blusry, Wife and I may take you up on that cruise.

Below is the standard post I have for the formal wear question. I have posted it over and over again, but people still bring the question up.

We have been on several cruises with RCCL. I have health problems with legs and feet, cannot wear shoes because of swelling, so sandals are worn. The reason I don't wear slacks is simple, I'm numb from the knees down, thanks to diabetes, I cannot feel my legs and feet, and sometimes lose my balance and fall, at least with shorts I can see where my legs are going. Another bad thing with diabetes in the stage I have is the nueropathy.

Basically, you know what it's like when your leg falls asleep and it feels like needles and pins and you don't want to touch or have anything touch them. I have that 24/7 in both legs. They want to put me in a wheelchair, but I keep fighting it. After 3 heart attacks, plus the above. and only 47, I will enjoy myself and dress the way I choose.

I have always worn a nice shirt and dress SHORTS and SANDALS to dinner, on the formal nights I add a tie and sport coat! There were no people gasping and pointing, children crying, old ladies fainting, no security called. In fact some of the other men said if their wife would let them , they would come in shorts too!

C'mon people this is your vacation, ENJOY IT!

Who are you out to impress, people you may never see again?

Speaking of Formal Nights, you have people there from all over the world dressed in what they consider formal attire for their country, which may not be considered formal for your country.

People are taking this to the extreme on dining room attire. Wear what you would feel comfortable in a nice restuarant where you live.

When I was a policeman I wore uniform everyday, then had own company worn suit everyday, now retired, I wear what I want.

Now I will get off my soapbox and let the radicals on this site tear me apart. Then I will sit back and read their snide comments and shake my head and ask "Where were these idiots when I carried a gun?"

Sorry for explaining and being long winded, but before you lump all people not dressed in slacks, suit and tie, they may have a valid reason why.

Have fun on your cruise, "Damn the torpedos and dinning room ahead!!"

Guest cvbart

I want to cruise with all of you.

I bet it would be one fun group.

BTW I think the Fashion Police are all bashing folks on another thread.

Thanks to you all for restoring my faith in cruising.

Guest cvbart

I want to cruise with all of you.

I bet it would be one fun group.

BTW I think the Fashion Police are all bashing folks on another thread.

Thanks to you all for restoring my faith in cruising.

I have to diagree . a pair of dressy slacks with low heels or flats..and sparklie nice top can very much be formal..its all in how you accesorize
Socially proper attire is the attire requested by your host, in this case the host requests dresses for women, not dressy slacks however accesorized.

Socially proper attire is the attire requested by your host, in this case the host requests dresses for women, not dressy slacks however accesorized.

On the other hand, a host with real class will always try to make his guests feel at home, even if they haven't quite matched his taste in dress.:)

There is a distinct difference in formal (after 5) and Black Tie. Ive seen some very expensive chiffon float pants and a beaded top and you swear it was a skirt. There is no law..anywhere that says no slacks ever will be deemed un-formal...please..

The hosts dont work in a Er 72 hours a week, nor did they offer to pay my trip. The hosts "requests" are merely a guideline to which base your attire..not a law..it is Formal Night...not You Must wear A Dress Because the Host Deems Dresses Formal Night..

Ive seen some pretty ugly crappy dresses..if i wanted..and the key here is wanted..to choose between a gorgeous pantset and a frumpy dress (just cuz the host said its ok for formal) id go with the pantset..and look Stunning!

But as for that Host..I sure hope he/she doesnt sit at my table..because i will wear what I want.and be who I am...No cruise will ever change me..because of a guideline..

But as for that Host..I sure hope he/she doesnt sit at my table..because i will wear what I want.and be who I am...No cruise will ever change me..because of a guideline..

Bravo to you.......and I agree completely. We dress appropriately but comfortably on formal nights......we do not embarass our table mates. When the HOST starts paying for our cruise, then I will abide by the so called rules set by the HOST. I applaud those that still like to get all dressed up, it is their choice.....that's what makes life interesting......choices!!:)

I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death. I was on the Rhapsody cruise recently and since it sails out of Galveston, you got quite a few Proud Texans on board. After I saw a majority of them in jeans on formal night, I figured all bets are off. As mentioned before, formal is defined differently by people and always will be.

Here in Texas starched Jeans ARE formal wear :D ;) :D

Archived