Transfers with a baby

Moondawgie

Does anyone out there take transfers to the ship from the airport with a baby? If so, how do you handle the bus? Will they let babies on without a baby seat?

It seems silly to bring a baby seat just for a ride to the ship. What do you think?

The baby is 14 months old.

Thanks for your advice.

Buses don't have seat belts, so you can't even attach the seats. This has been true several times on the buses I've taken. Just hold the baby in your lap. If you don't feel safe this way, then you would need to take a taxi or other form of transportation.

Your infant hsould be in a car seat on the plane. Why not use it in a cab to the port? What are you doing at your ports of call? Most caribbean islands do have car seat laws. Most caribbean cabs do have seat belts. (once in a while you will have to wait for a second cab or search for the seat belts!).

I've been on 3 cruises with my daughter and have yet to not find seat belts in cabs. You'll have many posters tell you there aren't any - they just haven't looked!

The Sit N Stroll is a great alternative - works as a car seat and a stroller.

Have a great trip!

Airlines don't require car seats until the child is 2. And, most cabs (at least in the U.S.) don't require them, either. DD (age 2 at the time) did fine in NYC. We placed her between us with just the seat belt. I have been on 5 Caribbean Islands and have never heard of seat belt laws. We took her on several shore excursions where she wasn't in the car seat. But, for those that are adamant, there is a product that will travel really nicely. I just can't remember the name of it. Google "Travel Car Seat" and you'll find it. It's small, folds very well, and will work with any seat belt (5 point restraint, by the way).

Have a GREAT time!!! :D

Here's my feeling on it. You are safer in a shuttle bus than in a taxi cab anyway, especially in the carribean. Those taxis are enough to make me turn gray :eek:

The shuttle buses (yes even the transfer ones) do not allow car seats in them. The driver will usually take the seat and stow it underneath when you try to use it. This has happened to us on THREE different cruiselines.

So this time, I am not taking any car seats. And I am staying away from the taxis.

I always refer to this site when this question comes up....read the part about the car seats and excursions

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/family/familycruisefaqs3.cfm

Moondawgie,

Many car seats are approved for plane travel. Check your model online

Cruisse4 ever

Just because a seat is not required by the airline for those under two does not mean it's safe to travel that way. You wouldn't back out of your driveway without a car seat - what makes you think its safe on a plane?

Flight attendants unions are lobbying to require all young to be in a car seat on a plane. It means a little more coordination with what you bring on the plane but you will need one at your destination anyway.

If you visit the visitors sitefor most Caribbean islands you will see that car seats are required.

The Tote N Go is a great travel 5 point harness but it is not approved for plane travel. I've traveled with the tote n go (fits in a backpack) along with the Sit N Sroll for the airplane. I can stroll it thru the airport with my daughter then use either the backboard (tote n go) or the sit n stroll at final destination.

Good luck and safe travels!

Here's my feeling on it. You are safer in a shuttle bus than in a taxi cab anyway, especially in the carribean. Those taxis are enough to make me turn gray :eek:

The shuttle buses (yes even the transfer ones) do not allow car seats in them. The driver will usually take the seat and stow it underneath when you try to use it. This has happened to us on THREE different cruiselines.

So this time, I am not taking any car seats. And I am staying away from the taxis.

I always refer to this site when this question comes up....read the part about the car seats and excursions

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/family/familycruisefaqs3.cfm

Cruisinmama,

I have to disagree with the article, seat belts are in the taxi's, you just have to look. Once in a while you will have to wait for a second taxi - but there are always tons of them! They are usually stuck behind the seat. People just don't want to take the time to enure a childs safety. Somehow being on vacation is time to throw safaty to the wind. I have used seat belts in Nassau, USVI, BVI, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St. Martin, Grenada, St. Lucia. I've probably left out a few islands.

The sit n stroll works great if you think your child will nap while on the island - otherwise the tote n go works.

In addition to the cruises with my daughter, I've been in two tour bus accidents. I'd rather have my daughter protected than flying out of my arms on a bus.

Safe travels!

In addition to the cruises with my daughter, I've been in two tour bus accidents. I'd rather have my daughter protected than flying out of my arms on a bus.

TWO? You aren't on any of my upcoming excursions are ya?

Kidding! I'm kidding! :p :D

Honestly, I am a HUGE stickler for car seats and child safety. I have been to St.Maartin, St. Thomas and the Bahamas 5 times and none of those times would I ever ride in a taxi. Sorry, they frighten me THAT much. They are all banged up. They zoom around the windy cliff roads which don't always have guiderails. And they seem to play chicken with the tour buses.

When my children were infants and toddlers, I used a front pack to keep them close to me. And we usually only take 1-2 excursions per trip. And never use a taxi.

But that's just me. I am probably just being neurotic....lol.

Moondawgie,

Cruisse4 ever

Just because a seat is not required by the airline for those under two does not mean it's safe to travel that way. You wouldn't back out of your driveway without a car seat - what makes you think its safe on a plane?

Good luck and safe travels!

I wasn't saying it was safe on a plane. I was simply quoting the requirements (or lack thereof). I am a huge proponent of child safety, as well. I would fully support the requirement of car seats in airplanes for every age. However, the chances of colliding with another plane are far less than colliding with another car while I'm backing out of my driveway. That's why that endeavor has been unsuccessful in the past.

Oh, and buses don't have seatbelts so the use of a car seat wouldn't work anyway. Why do 5-year-olds go on school buses without safety seats when they are in Kindergarten? My 8-year old is still in a booster seat in my SUV because the seat belt cuts him right at the neck; he's not tall enough, yet.

I wasn't saying it was safe on a plane. I was simply quoting the requirements (or lack thereof). I am a huge proponent of child safety, as well. I would fully support the requirement of car seats in airplanes for every age. However, the chances of colliding with another plane are far less than colliding with another car while I'm backing out of my driveway. That's why that endeavor has been unsuccessful in the past.

Car seats will not protect you in the case of a mid air collision, but they will protect your child in case of turbulence, hard landings, etc. I've seen people hit the overhead bin due to turbulence. A five point harness is much safer for a child than a seat belt.

Oh, and buses don't have seatbelts so the use of a car seat wouldn't work anyway. Why do 5-year-olds go on school buses without safety seats when they are in Kindergarten? My 8-year old is still in a booster seat in my SUV because the seat belt cuts him right at the neck; he's not tall enough, yet.

Why do children go on school buses w/out 5 point harnesses or some type of seat belt? I don't know -I drive my child to school. In my state you need to be in a booster and in the back seat until your 80 lbs or 12 yrs while you are in a car.

I don't do tour buses or transfers any more. We usually hire a taxi/van to get to the port from the airport and hire taxi/vans in the islands. I always use a car seat of some sort - whether its on a plane, van or taxi.

I found this really cool baby flight holder from One Step Up catalog. Basically you strap your child in and then attach it to you. You could use it on the plane - if the plane gets rocky, your child will be secure. And then you can use it on the bus in case that is bumpy too. I think I paid about 30 bucks for mine. It collapses and is very easy to carry around.

Archived