How Dressy is Dressy?

stprdi

We aren't really in to dressing up but don't want to miss the experience of the formal nights. What do you recommend we wear? Hubby does not have a suit and we don't really want a big splurge on something he won't wear again anytime soon.

Since you're on the Destiny (from your previous posts). You're not on NCL freestyle concept where you can wear casual clothes every night nor on an ultra-formal cruiseline. I think you should look into renting a tux for your husband (less expensive than buying a suit but buying a classic suit would be an investment... for funerals and the like) and find a nice cocktail dress for yourself (you probably wouldn't wear a floor-length gown again but a nice cocktail dress could be worn again for a wedding or the like, especially if you look for something on the classic side).

Look out for your perfect ''little black dress'' if you don't already own one. It would be perfectly acceptable (especially if paired with nice jewellery and shoes) and you will never regret buying such a dress.

Consignment shops are wonderful for buying men's clothes. We have several high end shops in this area where designer and upscale clothing are a staple.

My fiance came home last night with a new Tommy Hilfiger 100% tropical weight wool suit in a dark slate blue with a faint pinstripe, with the Parisian tags still on.

He got it for $54. Similar suits run 400-500.

He bought a tux a few months ago for $50 in absolutely pristine condition. It was from a local high end men's store.

Both were a perfect fit and in new condition.

Worth a try.

So...

Big question here that will make a difference...

What cruiseline/cruise/itinerary are you going on????

Makes a HUGE difference on your question and the answers for that.;)

Give us more specifics, and we can help you out.

CJW

Curt, If you click on the users name, you can go to all their previous posts. That way (most of the time, unless it is their first post) you can pretty much tell where they are going, who they are cruising with) :)

Curt, If you click on the users name, you can go to all their previous posts. That way (most of the time, unless it is their first post) you can pretty much tell where they are going, who they are cruising with) :)

You're right. However, like Curt, I'll still ask. I don't always remember that I can do that and I think that the person asking for opinions should give us the info and not make us go clicking into profiles and do minor detective work. Additionally, sometimes this board runs really slow and I'm not about to spend 2 minutes waiting til their profile info downloads to my screen.

The responsibilty falls on the people asking not answering, IMHO.

But sooo much easier to just state that in your question!:D

Thanks for the input. I"m on Destiny in August. Sorry, first time cruiser learning the ropes and overcome with excitement!!!!!!:D

Totally understand!

Just remember that for any online info, the more info you give, the better and more accurate answers you'll get! :D

But sooo much easier to just state that in your question!:D

Yeah, but then you don't have to wait for the OP to answer! I'm just too nosy to wait around, I suppose my computer works faster, I can see the previous posts in just a click, no waiting. I really don't read all their previous posts, unless something looks interesting.

To the OP, You can rent a tux from the cruiseline. Or, there are sales all the time for mens suits, or, can he even borrow from a friend?

The main thing I'd be concerned with is having you both wear clothing the same type of dressiness. Such as: him in a tux, you in a gown... him in a suit, you in a cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit... him in shirtsleeves and tie (ugh:o , it's a personal feeling), you in a nice dress. Dress to compliment each other (I didn't say match :) !).

Archived