Infinity's Sep 13 voyage cancelled and Sept. 23 delayed a day

DaneViking

Sorry folks. Just spoke to my TA. The trip on the 13th of Sept is indeed cancelled. She told me we get a 100% refund plus a FREE cruise to be picked off of a list she's obtaining from Celebrity.

I am sorry to hear that. Most people are going to be horribly disappointed over there cancelled vacation plans.

I do hope, however that it won't affect my cruise, which is the next one!

I posted in my review of Infinity that I was told by a staff member that Infinity would not be going to South America or Hawaii this year but Connie would be going in her place. Infinity was going to take over Connie's Caribbean itinerary...

I had my TA call celebrity yesterday because I thought it was a little fishy that we were all sold out over night. They assured her we are still sailing on the 13th.

If they are planing to put her in drydock, It makes more sense to bring the ship to San Francisco drydock and cancel the Sept. 13th cruise. If they do cancel I wonder when they will inform us?

I posted in my review of Infinity that I was told by a staff member that Infinity would not be going to South America or Hawaii this year but Connie would be going in her place. Infinity was going to take over Connie's Caribbean itinerary...

Hi Cstorm !

If that was the case, they wouldnt be rushing to get Infinity into drydock now. That could have been the plan a while ago, but it seems as if they will just drydock Infinity sooner rather than later, and let Infinity do South America as planned.

I suppose we will all find out more soon enough. I feel badly for everyone who is booked on the affected sailings. As most of you know, many of us just went through this identical mess with Constellation a couple of weeks ago. The difference is, we had additional time to make other plans.

If all of this turns out to be true, this is a very short amount of time to make other plans. I hope it works out with some sort of a reasonable ending, for everyone involved. Good Luck !

Looks like if you have September 13th booked you have hit the Celebrity lottery.

Tell me you didn't see this coming. Last month it was posted by several people that Celebrity needed time to procur parts from Eurpoe to complete the fix. Once in hand they would then schedule a dry-dock. This is their traditional style to have several cruises slightly impacted until such time as they are ready to repair. Celebrity customer service is shining once again.

Finally got Customer Service (located in Kansas not Florida ,told they only heard about this mid morning) We will not get to go to Alaska, the Panama cruise will be shorter than listed. TA's still being informed!!!!!!

No one seems to know what happens to those like myself booked to fly out Sept 12 (booked through the cruise line) or to the Hotel booking for night of Sept 12 (also booked by Cruise line). Will I now fly out Sept 23rd and stay night at same hotel prior to boarding Sept 24th?. No one knows.

I do have Travel guard ins., and assume I will get a refund of the money I have paid for flying and hotel, but I hate the uncertainity. and the problems re booking flights will cause.

I know machinery can break down, I am not angry about that, but I am angry that the Powers -That- Be have kept silent about their plans. This is not a matter of Top Secret National Security, (though that is how they act) let them be up front and timely in their notification to TA and to passengers. As far as I can ascertain my TA still does not know half my B2B is cancelled.

Ah the Celebrity treatment, what will it mean to me???? Do not ask !!!!

FYI those who may wish to flame me, yes I know the cruise line can do whatever it likes, yes I know and bought Travel Ins. Informing passengers (and TAs ) should warrant "Top Priority" it is called "Good Customer Relations"

I am lucky, I am retired, so can travel almost any time, and I have been to Alaska before, but there are passengers who cannot reschedule vacations just like that, and others for whom this was going to be the first trip to Alaska. For them this is a really bad thing.

I am really sorry that those who had plans for the affected cruises are apparently having them disrupted. Very few plan for a cruise days before their travel, I can only imagine and empathise with those who now have to re-arrange their lives to accomodate Celebrity's miscomings.

I offer no sympathy for Celebrity who once again is going to disrupt lives of thousands and wait until the last minute to let their passengers know.

I feel really bad for those of you who have been planning for so long - I checked your roll call - many booked this last year. I'm just planning our first cruise for next summer - I can't imagine how I'd feel - too late for you to plan much else - and those taking vacation from work ? what a mess. I sure hope you get lots of compensation for a last minute cancellation - a lot more than just getting your money back.

Hi Cstorm !

If that was the case, they wouldnt be rushing to get Infinity into drydock now. That could have been the plan a while ago, but it seems as if they will just drydock Infinity sooner rather than later, and let Infinity do South America as planned.

I suppose we will all find out more soon enough. I feel badly for everyone who is booked on the affected sailings. As most of you know, many of us just went through this identical mess with Constellation a couple of weeks ago. The difference is, we had additional time to make other plans.

If all of this turns out to be true, this is a very short amount of time to make other plans. I hope it works out with some sort of a reasonable ending, for everyone involved. Good Luck !

Andy,

I thought it was odd when the staff member told me that. I was really just trying to help all those who are now affected. I feel horrible for all of them! I will say NO ONE wanted to talk about pod problems!!!!! I feel sorry for the regular staff that takes the brunt of what the "highers up" implement. I'm sure they would LOVE to work on a ship when the only complaint by pax was their soup was cold...

If you are booked on either the September 13 or September 23 sailing, call the Re-Accommodation Desk at 800-8528175.

I am having mixed feelings about this.

I received a full refund PLUS a future cruise certificate for the amount I paid for this cruise. So basically, I received a free cruise! The certificate can be used for any sailing, except XPeditions and Holiday sailings. It is valid through 12/31/07.

Despite the fact I am angry, I have to admit that this is a very generous offer. Celebrity also offers to pay for the change fees of the airline.

Floris

If you are booked on either the September 13 or September 23 sailing, call the Re-Accommodation Desk at 800-8528175.

I am having mixed feelings about this.

I received a full refund PLUS a future cruise certificate for the amount I paid for this cruise. So basically, I received a free cruise! The certificate can be used for any sailing, except XPeditions and Holiday sailings. It is valid through 12/31/07.

Despite the fact I am angry, I have to admit that this is a very generous offer. Celebrity also offers to pay for the change fees of the airline.

Floris

Hi Floris !

Thanks for all of your excellent updates today. I am very sorry for you, and for all of those affected.

I surely can understand your frustration. No argument here. On the bright side, you have a free Celebrity Cruise coming to you, and I am sure all would agree, that is VERY fair and generous of Celebrity. We only recieved a 200.00 Onboard credit for our cancelled Constellation sailing, but then again, it was 8 months from now, so there is a difference.

For all of those who are affected, I wish you all the best, and I hope you find another sailing that will work for you !

To recap:

Infinity will go into drydock in San Francisco from September 13 through September 24 to fix the pods. Celebrity wants to ensure a problem free South America season.

The September 13 Alaska sailing is cancelled. Guests should call the Re-Accomodation Desk at 800-8528175.

Compensation is a full refund, a free future cruise certificate (which excludes XPeditions and Holiday sailings) and reimbursement of airline change fees up to $100 per person.

For those that are booked on the September 23 15-night Panama Canal sailing:

This cruise now departs one day late, on September 24, and will skip Cabo San Lucas. Arrival into Acapulco is delayed by 2 hours. Compensation is $500/$600/$700 stateroom credit (depending on cabin type) + $200 off a future cruise.

I was on the September 13 sailing. As much as I regret not going to Alaska, I have to admit that a full refund plus a free future cruise is a generous offer.

Best Regards,

Floris

To all those affected, I am sorry to hear this news.

Infinity is truly snake-bitten. This will make 6 calendar years in a row starting in 2001 (her inaugural year) that she has been taken out of service for an extended time to deal with her pods.

Update

To recap:

Infinity will go into drydock in San Francisco from September 13 through September 24 to fix the pods. Celebrity wants to ensure a problem free South America season.

The September 3 cruise will sail as scheduled.

The September 13 Alaska sailing is cancelled. Guests should call the Re-Accomodation Desk at 800-8528175.

Compensation is a full refund, a free future cruise certificate (which excludes XPeditions and Holiday sailings) and reimbursement of airline change fees up to $100 per person.

For those that are booked on the September 23 15-night Panama Canal sailing:

This cruise now departs one day late, on September 24, and will skip Cabo San Lucas. Arrival into Acapulco is delayed by 2 hours. Compensation is $500/$600/$700 stateroom credit (depending on cabin type) + $200 off a future cruise.

There is one cruise to Hawaii this year...10/22, and we're book on it. Hmmm, wonder if that will be cancelled also.

Karyn

Sure hope so, because we have a RS on Infinity departing Vancouver on 9-3-2006.

Our next problem is that I have to get a larger suitcase to replace my smaller one, because it will have to hold my toothpaste, shaving lotion, hair spray, contact lenses solution, other liquids, etc. I do hope that we get rid of political correctness, and be able to properly identify those who wear suicide bombs, place and blow up ieds, blow up car bombs, etc. It sure is not our 84 year old caucasion grandmothers!

Good afternoon,

Just reading the official press release issued by RCI ( Dan Hanrahan ) and it bears noting that the current failure is '' one of the propulsion pods ' electrical system "". This is different than the previous 6 incidents, caused by the ''premature wearing of one of the radial thrust bearings''....

The repair project is also of a greater scope: while previous malfunctions triggered a 3-4 days emergency drydock to replace the offending thrust bearing, this one calls for a total replacement of the pod itself, thus a longer drydock needed ( in Victoria) until 22nd September.

A lot of folks anticipated this sort of event and you could tell '' the fix was up'' as they were coordinating parts and drydock yard availabilities....which finally fell into place earlier today.

Sad indeed for all folks affected by this. This vessel just has to be jinxed !!! At least, the compensation offer by X is still the standard generous one.

So far, she's keeping her Alaska sailing schedule right on.

Happy sailings

Cheers

Claude

;)

Just got off the line with a Captain's Club representative about our 9-3-2006 cruise, and she affirmed what Floris has related to us above. Absolutely no hedging, and I have found those reps to be much more knowledgable than the regular Celebrity reps.

So we are on. J & G on our roll call noted several time changes for several ports, and I am assuming that Infinity will most likely not be cruising at 22 knots, but at a lesser speed for our cruise, perhaps 20 or 19 knots, and which would account for several changes of two hours at each end on one port and lesser changes on others.

However, Floris you just struck a jackpot!!! :D While disappointing, a free cruise is nothing to snarl at.

Yes the ship does seem to be jinxed. I am so very sorry for all those affected, as I have to plan well in advance for time-off and had to switch/beg/grovel my co-workers to get the time off in Jan/feb. But, I am happy the silly thing's being 'patched' as I had vision of being in the Straits of Magellan without a pod or two. So, instead of Alaska....try the fjords of south america with us:D

Archived