Chair savers on NCL

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

On our Dawn cruise last August, one sea day we went to the pool at around 9 am. There were no chairs available, especially near the pool. However, most of them were empty. We really wanted to sit near the pool since we have school-age children who wanted to swim. There were about 10 empty lounges right in front of the pool, so DH and I sat on the edge of the pool for 45 minutes watching the lounges. Nobody came to claim them (they each had a towel and a bottle of suncreen on them). After 45 minutes, we moved two bottles of suncreen and towels to an adjacent chair. Immediately, some guy (who was not even with the missing owners of the suncreen) started loudly commenting on how rude we were. Everytime someone walked by, he would say, "Watch out - they'll steal your chairs." We calmly explained that there is a 30 minute chair rule, but he kept on going. Meanwhile, a snoozing woman a few chairs down woke up with the fuss, and looked at us and explained that she had met a bunch of people in the bar the night before and offered to "grab some chairs." She then went on to say that she really didn't mind that we were sitting on them since those people didn't show up within 30 minutes of her saving them. As it turned out, we were there until about 2 pm and nobody ever did show up to use the chairs, and the other 8 chairs sat unoccupied during that time.

Oh, by the way, the rude guy commented on how kids aren't allowed in the Oasis pool with arm floaties. I told him that I didn't know about this rule. Does anyone know if this is true or was he just being a jerk?

• 2 weeks later...
Please understand this is a real problem for some passengers. They can't help but save chairs even when there is no need. It has to be an addiction.

Perhaps a Friends of Porky P. meeting on every cruise :D

Even in Alaska - 55 degrees, no sun, they must protect the chosen chairs

Now this is truly funny & amazing... :eek: :D

I will be taking my first cruise this January, and I must say that at first I was feeling a little intimadated :eek: about this whole chair hog issue. but after thinking about it for a little while I no longer fear the issue, I do plan on getting up early ,having breakfast and scouting out a chair/lounge by the pool.(in this order) if their are non available, I to will wait patiently and if I notice one that is not being used for a while (swimmers excluded) I will have no problem removing their items and placing my own down. also if I am using the chair and go to the pool to take a 10-15 min swim and I come back and someone is in my chair...well....it wont be pretty :mad: I can assure you of that. I only expect from people what I put out there. nothing less is exceptable , especially since their doesnt seem to be any back up from the cruise line personell. From what I am reading were going to be on our own to defend ourselves. and I will. its everyones vacation not just the hogs!

We were on the Dawn last week and there definately seemed to be chair hogs. We didn't get a lounge chair the whole week we were there. I also wasn't out at the pool at 7:00 am trying to get a lounge chair. I didn't want one that bad lol. Not sure if the chairs were truely occupied or not, but there were always towels on them. I have a feeling though, people leave and just leave there towels there. I really didn't care too much as we are not ones to lounge by the pool, too many other activiities going on. Whenever we were near the pool it was usually with my kids who are little so we were at the kiddie pool anyway. A few times however, when I did want to lounge for a few minutes it would have been nice to have a lounge chair. The Dawn has a large area with lounge chairs too! But unless you are out there at 7:00 am there was no chance.

I totally agree with the towel only = not saved. I have no problem removing ships towels from an empty chair and sitting down.

If by some amazing coincidence someone shows up within the 30 minute drop-dead time limit, I will apologize, get up and move on to the next towel only chair in the row.

If it's past 30 minutes, well ... "Oh sorry, but are you sure it was your towel on this particular chair? I brought one exactly like it and look, there's more towels that look exactly the same on chairs over there that look exactly the same. Maybe you were on the port side and didn't realize it." It's either that or "Go pound salt, I'm relaxing"

My take on deck chair hogs. Why do they expect the chair to be unoccupied when they get back?

If they were at the cafeteria, left a magazine or food on the table for 30 minutes, do they really expect it to be unoccupied when they got back? Within 5 minutes that table would have been busted, and made available for other diners.

If they were in a lounge, left a drink on the table for 30 minutes, do they really expect it to be unoccupied when they got back? Within 5 minutes, or a few dances if that's the case, the table would have been busted and made available for other drinkers and dancers.

And imho, that's the way it should be on deck chairs. As soon as they get up, they should lose that chair. 30 minutes is much too long. Pool rules should apply, not beach rules where you bring your own chairs and towels.

But what about the few that have real reasons to get up and come back? Ie a parent checking on their child in child care? Someone who goes for a quick dip in the pool and comes back or someone running to the bathroom.

Its just sad that the abuses make it hard for those abiding by the rules.

Reminder to self:

Prior to boarding ship, go to Walmart and buy two cheap chairs. Don't forget Sharpie marker for branding, as well!

:D icon14.gif

Just some thoughts.........why does everyone HAVE to be in the sun around the pool where it is noisy and hot? (parents with children not included) if you want the sun there are the tiered loungers with more of a breeze.

I think that the comment about the drinks and belongings being taken away in the bars and cafeteria after 5 min is nuts:eek: When I go up and dance I may dance a few numbers and if anyone took my drink away I would be:mad:

In the buffet I sit away from the crowd..put my belongings on my table and go and get my food because I cannot carry everything. Is that wrong?? is that bad?? I don`t think so.:)

:D icon14.gif

Just some thoughts.........why does everyone HAVE to be in the sun around the pool where it is noisy and hot? (parents with children not included) if you want the sun there are the tiered loungers with more of a breeze.

Never said I'd put my Walmart chair by the pool! Someone mentioned that they couldn't find any chairs, thus the Walmart joke. We neve sit near the pool. We prefer to find a quieter, shadier spot to read, and sometimes that ends up being indoors.

No, I'm not purchasing a chair to bring on board. No desire to lounge outside all day. In fact, on our cruise last year we brought suits and never even used them!

I know ShoreGuy posted that at any given time there are about 50% of chairs available around the ship (just not close to the pool). That is fine with us. We like being away from the pool like on an upper deck or a shady spot. Have others found there to be available lounges away from the pool most of the time? Thanks.

I love being around the pool, but hate the sun! I was always able to find something to sit on in the shade around the perimeter. I also noticed that many of the sun worshippers, after a good 8 hours of baking, tended to wander back to their cabins for a nap (and maybe a call to their dermatologist :cool: ) around 3 p.m. each day, freeing up a plethora of lounge chairs.

I love being around the pool, but hate the sun! I was always able to find something to sit on in the shade around the perimeter. I also noticed that many of the sun worshippers, after a good 8 hours of baking, tended to wander back to their cabins for a nap (and maybe a call to their dermatologist :cool: ) around 3 p.m. each day, freeing up a plethora of lounge chairs.

It's not only the loungers that you have to try and save for your self but also the breakfast and lunch chairs! This past Feb. on a CC my wife and I found a table and 2 chairs with which to sit on deck and left our digital camera on it only to come back 5 mins later to find a man sitting there having bacon and eggs!! At this point of the cruise I had had enough of arrogant people and I let him have it, letting him know that was my seat and my camera. He replied "what camera?" meanwhile he had to move it to put his plate down.......... This is why we booked a suite on the Sun so we can have our own private balcony with no chair hogs!!!....Well wifey excluded. LOL!

You never know the other persons mental condition or what medications they take. Sometimes the reaction you provoke can be more than you bargained for or ever thought possible. Just something to keep in mind. There was a longtime cruise staffer who posted here saying that there had been a bunch of violent attacks over chairs. Sounds impossible but there's all kinds of people out there..

I envison this happening on my first cruise:

Tool: Excuse me' date=' you are in my chair

Me (looking up, annoyed at the disturbance): Am I?

Tool: I left my towel on it.

Me: Did ya?

End of conversation.[/quote']

I think that the comment about the drinks and belongings being taken away in the bars and cafeteria after 5 min is nuts:eek: When I go up and dance I may dance a few numbers and if anyone took my drink away I would be:mad:

Ann: I bet that if you dance with me you'll be ready to go back to your table in a lot less than 5 minutes! (provided you can still walk) ;)

-Monte

You never know the other persons mental condition or what medications they take. Sometimes the reaction you provoke can be more than you bargained for or ever thought possible. Just something to keep in mind. There was a longtime cruise staffer who posted here saying that there had been a bunch of violent attacks over chairs. Sounds impossible but there's all kinds of people out there..

It is not impossible. We were at a resort in Mexico and this happened:eek: Two guys started cursing and punching each other out. They had to call security and they still didn`t stop.

I'm just saying I'm not about to be pushed around by some middle aged house cow with a bunt. I'm also not going to tip toe around the feelings and entertain some nuts inability to share. Someone honestly thinks that tying chairs together with towels gives them exclusive rights to those seats are in for quite a surprise when they find me sitting in them. If they dare say anything to me...I'll tell them (I apolgize in advance for the strong language).."Go take a long walk off a short pier."

I was on a land holiday last year where I became increasingly frustrated by chair hogs. I decided on a plan to provoke rather than confront. A couple took turns in putting their towels on prime loungers under an umbrella by the poolside, then turned up to sunbathe at noon. The poolside was hosed down last thing at night and security patrolled from early in the morning. While it was still early, I evaded the security guy and removed the towels from the hoggers chairs, and put them neatly to the side but I did not take the loungers. I went to sunbathe somewhere close by with a good view of the action. Another couple then came by and sat on the loungers. At noon the hoggers came, saw the new couple in their chairs, and their towels neatly folded (where I had put them) to the side. They then accused the new couple of stealing their chairs (which they hadn't really done, that was me not them). The new couple vehemently denied any wrongdoing but the evidence was stacked against them..... It was all very entertaining because they spoke different languages and arguing was hard work! :D The security guy was brought in to referee and help with translation and it all got very heated and extremely funny for observers ;) . The hoggers never did it again, and I had the satisfaction of confronting them by proxy!!! He He:D

Anyway, on the HAL Noordam this year I noticed the staff vigorously enforced the 30 min towel rule which worked well.

I'm just saying I'm not about to be pushed around by some middle aged house cow with a bunt. I'll tell them (I apolgize in advance for the strong language).."Go take a long walk off a short pier."

Hopefully you don't immediately get to meet the house cow's beefy sons with anger management problems, who forgot to take their medications, and have criminal records.

Sometimes when you try to teach someone else a lesson, the lengths they will then go to teach you one is really extreme

Hopefully you don't immediately get to meet the house cow's beefy sons with anger management problems, who forgot to take their medications, and have criminal records.

Sometimes when you try to teach someone else a lesson, the lengths they will then go to teach you one is really extreme

If you choose to cower and shake because of something that "might happen" or because you are afraid of someone...that's your business. I can defend and protect myself just fine, I don't need to submit to someone just because they are bigger than me. Besides I doubt it would escalate that far. I'm sure once I told them "Go jump in a lake" (once again I apologize for the harsh language) it would all resolve itself.

Please, stop trying to "give me something to think about" with all this nonsense of "anger management problems" and "medications"...I'm not concerned.

Archived