Blue Hawaiian helicopter-Maui

aiminoh

If it's out of the Kahului Airport/Heliport, then it's quite a drive from Lahaina. Approx. 1 to 1-1/2 hour away from Lahaina - it'd definitely be cheaper to rent a car and make the drive instead of taking a taxi.

Spleen

I'm afraid you are looking at well over $100 r/t for a taxi. Spleen is right that rental car is the way to go. Rent from a company that has locations that will be listed either as Kapalua or West Maui Airport. That is the commuter airport on the west side of the island and only a 10 minute shuttle ride from the tender pier in Lahaina. If you rent at Kahului airport, you will have to get there on your own as the companies, don't offer shuttles from Lahaina (for the obvious reason that it's 25 miles away). It's an easy drive, but do make sure to leave time to deal with traffic on the way out of Lahaina (and also coming back). It can really get backed up at certain times of the day (or depending on what's going on that week/weekend.)

You will love the helicopter over Maui. I hope you choose the longer ride. (We also chose the EcoStar, even though it cost more because we figured this would be our one time to do it. Well worth the cost with real seats, rather than benches, and full windows.) We feel that Maui is an often overlooked treasure for helicopter tours. It's just spectacular.

beachchick

Thanks Spleen and Beachchick for the info! I believe we will look into the car rental.

Beachchick, we are taking the complete island tour on the Eco Star. Do you think that the two people sitting in the middle back seats have good views compared to the window seats? And how do they seat according to weight? There are two of us around 130 lbs and two around 190 lbs. I am sure no matter where we sit it will be a trip of a lifetime, we can't wait!

If you look around this board, you'll find the pictures I took of my Blue Hawaiian helicopter flight on the Big Island. I was in the middle left back seat of an ECO-Star and as you can see, my views were fine. Heavier people will be towards the middle. :)

Spleen

Thanks Spleen and Beachchick for the info! I believe we will look into the car rental.

Beachchick, we are taking the complete island tour on the Eco Star. Do you think that the two people sitting in the middle back seats have good views compared to the window seats? And how do they seat according to weight? There are two of us around 130 lbs and two around 190 lbs. I am sure no matter where we sit it will be a trip of a lifetime, we can't wait!

Well, we had a bit of a surprise in that 2 people who had booked the flight cancelled at the last minute. That left four of us--so all window seats. We really lucked out with that. I'm certain that you will all be able to see very well--much better than the bench seating and smaller windows.

Good choice on the tour. You won't be sorry that you spent the extra.

beachchick

Once again...Mahalo!

Spleen, those pics are wonderful!

Beachchick, any pics from Maui by chance?

Just want to say how much of an asset you guys are to this board. Your tips and info have provided invaluable help in my vacation planning. Thanks again!!!:)

Sorry, none from the helicopter ride that are really worth posting (unless you count the ones I took of my DH grinning like a little boy while looking out the windows). Our out the window shots are kind of like Grand Canyon pix--they just don't do it justice.

beachchick

Archived