rolling cooler?

txcruisecat

txcruisecat~ I have seen several people do this on previous cruises. Since I am not a big soda drinker, I just bring on a few sodas and a small collapsible cooler in my carry-on.

45014 ~ Straight from Carnival's Website:

Maritime security levels in all U.S. ports are determined by the U.S. Coast Guard, which operates under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security. The U.S. Coast Guard advised us that no changes will be required to the current security level for cruise ships. Guests will not be prohibited from bringing liquid-based items, such as shampoo, gels, lotions, etc. onboard our ships. However, per normal procedures, all guests and luggage, both checked and carry-on, are 100 percent security screened prior to boarding the ship.

Not after today will you bringing ANY liquids on board, i would guess.

The thing is, when you are getting on the ship, it doesn't matter if it's carried on or checked. You still end up with it all in your cabin.

I expect MANY people will share just how the latest news is impacting cruising. Hopefully, I can learn a little more before we go. I sure don't want to pay ship prices for a Coke and decent water.

A while ago Carnival reserved the right to limit the size of carry-on for percisely this reason, people bringing in giant rolling coolers. I bet the rule came into play after watching some nit-wit leaking melted ice out of the drain hole all over the terminal. There are esculators and stairs prior to boarding, a cooler would be a hassle

That said I still saw people lugging coolers around. Please do not fill it with ice, your cabin steward can do that for you once you board.

Most of us will have to board a plane before taking most cruises, so this may be out of the question. Yes it is irritating to pay the price of sodas......but not nearly as rough as it would be to pay the price if something ever does happen.

I'm interested to hear if you can check a cooler or luggage for that matter on the airlines.

I am considering bringing our rolling cooler loaded with bottled water and sodas. Is that done much and has anyone ever had problems with this? I figure we could also use it to carry off souveniers etc at the end of the cruise.

Forget the cooler just take a dorm room sized fridge.

Since we always drive to port, we took a soft sided rolling cooler. We fill it with soda and water in bottles and no ice. I have always checked it as a piece of luggage and had no problem. The room steward can provide the ice. The empty cooler can be used for mulitple things on the return home. For dirty clothes, any liquid purchases, or any of the goodies purchased on the cruise.

Since we always drive to port, we always take a soft sided rolling cooler. We fill it with soda and water in bottles and no ice. I have always checked it as a piece of luggage and had no problem. The room steward can provide the ice. The empty cooler can be used for mulitple things on the return home. For dirty clothes, any liquid purchases, or any of the goodies purchased on the cruise.

Most of us will have to board a plane before taking most cruises, so this may be out of the question. Yes it is irritating to pay the price of sodas......but not nearly as rough as it would be to pay the price if something ever does happen.

I'm interested to hear if you can check a cooler or luggage for that matter on the airlines.

I'm telling ya, this whole increased airline security thing is a plot by the cruiselines to increase onboard sales. :eek:

We don't usually fly so we also take a rolling cooler with soda and water and beer. We use it for extra stuff when we're coming home. We flew once and made a pit stop before getting to the pier for our beverages. We've never had a problem.

and they'll let you fill and check one of those like baggage?

(as long as no beer/booze in it)

Do you tape it shut or secure it like they tell you to do with your luggage?

Not sure if you mean on a plane or on the ship. If I were flying with one I'd collapse it and either strap it securely to the outside of my garment bag or put it IN the garment bag.

At the pier, after you've filled it (don't put ice in the cooler) you check it with the porters along with your other large luggage. Be sure to attach a luggage tag so that it gets to your room.

HTH

Airport security is not an issue, it's a less than two hour drive to port. I definately wouldn't put ice in cooler, so water leaking isn't issue. I do seem to remember an escalator at terminal, but don't know that a cooler would be any worse than rolling luggage.

We found our rolling cooler at sams club, put three 12 packs wrapped up with bubble wrap in it and stuck a luggage tag on it. It was in front of our door with the other two bags. We are bringing it with us in January too.

Dave, we filled it and put a small lock on it just like our other bags.

Jess

We put a luggage tag on it, a bungee cord around it and soda, beer and water in it and check it like the rest of our stuff when we get to the pier. Then we keep an eye out for it when it gets delivered. Have never had a problem or an issue with it.

5 days til the Legend sets sail with me on board!

:confused: Is this really something that Carnival lets you do? I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2001 but I don't remember them letting you bring on beverages. Seems like this would sure put a cinch in their profits but it sure would make cruising cheaper. I have been on RCCL lately and it is a BIG NO NO with them.

:confused: Is this really something that Carnival lets you do? I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2001 but I don't remember them letting you bring on beverages. Seems like this would sure put a cinch in their profits but it sure would make cruising cheaper. I have been on RCCL lately and it is a BIG NO NO with them.

They do let you bring coolers, we don't go crazy with it though. We brought our own cooler in May on the Imagination, mostly due to the fact that there are no refrigerators in the rooms. But we also brought a case of bottled water and a modest amount of soda (1 2 liter of Diet Coke). We also used the cooler to chill our bottle of white wine that we'd brought from home.

Archived