Shortie or No Shortie, that is the question?

Have a cruise planned for the end of NOVEMBER.

How warm is the water in Cozumel, Grand Cayman this time of year? Since there are not as many hurricanes I heard the water temps are cooler? Does that affect near the beaches or not?

(we are doing the stingray tour GC and beach in Cozumel)

Also heard there are jellyfish out there as well?

any advice would be wonderful!

Have not been there at the end of Nov. but spent a week diving in Cayman the end of Oct/1st wk Nov. and used a 3mil shorty and was fine. Was in Cozumel in mid Feb. and used a full 1/2 mil skin and was fine until the very end of the dives and could feel a little bit of a chill so a shorty while snorkeling should be fine there. I think the only time they have issues in Coz with thimble jellies is in April.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I asked a similar question on the Cozumel board. The verdict was that a shortie would be fine and would be needed in Cozumel.

My question was addressing the first week of December, so I believe that the answer would be the same for you.

Coincidently, we are also going to Grand Caymen on our cruise. I plan to wear my shortie during our 3 reef excursion there as well.

Oh, and from what I understand, they will help with jellyfish stings too.

depends on you..

Warm blooded, no shortie:)

Get cold in a car in July 'cause the airconditioners on, wear a shortie:(

Really the water does not vary 2-3 degrees winter or summer, so if you like 78-81 degree water with or without depends completely on you..O BTW if you do MULTIPLE dives go ahead and wear one, the 3rd dive of the day does start to feel chilly...:p

Almost No jelly fish in DEC or November or JAnuary...the BABY ones are in the summer and they are the problem, not the big ones

I used a 3/2m shortie everywhere. It help, especially if you're doing swimthroughs in a current. It's great protection. I used it Cozumel & Belize, in June, St.Lucia in January and Grand Cayman in August. We were diving some pretty tight swimthroughs, (on the East End...and at Eden Rock in Georgetown), and the current made me scrape a coral:( . I was glad that I was wearing the shortie!

Archived