Help - Booking question TA or Cruiseline !

yellowrosetx

Hi - I booked a cruise for Christmas holidays with RC Rhapsody of Seas with the cruiseline. I had looked online and it seemed to be the same as far as cost. Friend of mine that cruises all the time, said I should call several TAs to see if they would give me better deal or something extra to have my reservation.

I called three today, couldnt reach one, another is looking and will get back, a third told me RC doesnt discount and I got the best I could with RC. This is contrary to what friend said. I'm rather ignorant on the process, trying to learn, only been on one cruise to Alaska several years ago.

Should I be satisfied I got the best deal with RC or should I pursue

quotes with TAs ??? Thanks in advance! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2000 Dawn Princess Alaska

Why don't you check a few of the online TA's and see what pricing you get for same category you chose. There are so many online where you pick your cabin and gives you total price before you give any personal information. Then you will know.

I know Carnival doesn't discount either but TA's are allowed to give "perks" such as onboard credit or shore excursions etc. instead of discounting.

I have found TA's that you call on the phone who are in your local town are more expensive (unless you have been with them for umpteen years).

Good luck and let us know how it went.

RCL has a policy that says TA's both brick and mortar or online cannot advertise lower fares than RCL is showing for a cruise. If they do supposingly they can lose their ability to sell RCL cruises. Some TA's both kinds will offer other incentatives, cruise credit, free wine, etc., to get you to book with them but they are not supposed to sell the cruises for less than RCL's advertised (not brochure) fares.

We booked our next cruise directly with Princess because they offered a balcony cabin for the cost, at the time, of an inside cabin. We have been upgraded from a BE to a BA so far and hope to get one more upgrade to a minisuite before our cruise in November.

I would suggest if you are happy with your cabin assignment with RCL just keep the cruise and enjoy it.

Have a great next cruise.

Well... I contacted about 5 TAs. All that I've heard from so far said price is "as is" costly over the holidays. One didn't offer anything at all to get my booking. Another said hmmm would check and call back. A third my friend has used, called me back and said he had corporate group he could put me with for getting transfer of my reservation and I would get $150 total back at end of cruise. There are several I haven't heard back from yet.

It appears the $150 may be the best I get, is it worth it for the switch and working thru this TA than keeping with the RCL ? I know, I may be the only one that can answer that question....still....I value any input. :cool:

Did you look at the online TA's to see if they are giving any perks? Sound like you are just doing it the old fasioned way of calling.

Believe it or not, I did contact online by email 2, one came back with answer of $153 more per person but gave $50 a cabin ship credit. I did speak to two online TAs, the one that didnt give anything and same price and the one above that responded by phone. The only other response so far is the friend's TA that will take my reservation as is from RCL for $150 credit after sailing. The two online are TAs I got thru the list on Cruise Critic.

• 2 weeks later...

When I booked my NCL Dawn cruise I checked the price with NCL and I checked the price with USAirwayscruises.com. Guess what: same price. BUT, I booked with USAirways.com because I will pick up 5,000 frequent flyer miles as a booking perk. Since USAirways is my primary carrier, to me that is a nice perk.

Peace,

Paul

Archived