Looking for recommendations for Cozumel dives.

staylor

We are newly certified and are looking for recommendations for a morning dive in Cozumel. We are not arriving until 10 am. That may limit our options, as most morning dives seem to be at 9am. We were thinking about doing a morning dive somewhere, then hooking up with the rest of our group and doing a second dive at Chankanaab. I guess we could do it the other way around.

Which reef is a good place to start? Is seems like there are so many options in Cozumel.

How about a shipwreck? Any sites better than ther others?

Thanks in advance! :D

I'm in the same position as my ship Miracle arrives at 8am local time, tendering. Most dive shops have gone out by then. BTW, there are >130 dive ops in Cozumel, so lots to choose from, most are good.

Best to dive the reefs, rather than a shipwreck. The beauty of the natural reefs in Cozumel is what most people go there for.

I ended up booking stand-by with Aldora.com because they have the huge 120cf tanks, allowing for longer bottom time. Even the first deep dives can last more than 1 hr. The problem is they need 4 divers to go out, for the stand-by reservation, if not then they refund and set you up diving with someone else. If you have 4 people, you can do this.

If not, can try Blue Angel, which has a 10am dive/snorkel combo trip.

Check out Dive Paradise. My husband and I used them in May of 2005 while cruising and their service is excellent and they are affordable. A short cab ride from the pier. I don't know about the times though. Good luck and happy diving!

Diving in Cozumel is the best. I can't wait to be back on Santa Rosa wall. We will be in Cozumel 8/26 as long as Mother Nature doesn't change our plans. Hopefully Cozumel will be spared this year as they took a real beating last year. I have to warn you about Dive Paradise. They left us in the water on a night dive. We were swimming back to shore when the boat finally returned for us. Apple, the owner, was very unconcerned stating we were never in danger because we returned safely. This was my son's 16th birthday and it is a memory we will never forget. There is never a good reason to leave divers in the water and none of the three lies they gave us was a good enough reason. As much as I love diving Cozumel i would not dive if I had to use them. I will never use their services again. Many like them but it only took one time of being left in the pitch dark of night to make me weary. There are many good dive shops and I promise that none will ever leave me in the water again. I normally pay for a private dive master so starting times can be adjusted to our arrival on the island.

Being that we are both first time cruisers.... me and the new wifey have booked the dives through Carnival in both Cozumel and Belize.

Do the dives booked through the cruise ships become cattle boats like most of the other excursions??

I checked into the price and found that the price Carnival charges is on $20 difference per person in Cozumel then a private operator. Does that sound about right???:confused:

:D Palancar Reefs may be a little too deep, esp. if you do the caves for newbie divers. Santa Rosa and San Francisco are both outstanding dive sites and you can keep your depth in the 45-65 foot level.

Remember this is a drift dive...so hang on as you go down, cause otherwise, they will be wayyyyyy over there!!!!

Have a blast

Do the dives booked through the cruise ships become cattle boats like most of the other excursions??

I checked into the price and found that the price Carnival charges is on $20 difference per person in Cozumel then a private operator. Does that sound about right???:confused:

Yep they are cattle boats, and Expensive and they control where you go...Belize is the best of the Cattle boats- hugh Parkys group is pretty good. but Linda searle's Sea sports Belize is the Private operator and is outstanding!! Coz is Dive with Martin for me, small groups individual attention...can't go wrong./:)

I have never dove through a ship tour that was not a cattle boat. And, yes, they are priced higher than diving w/ a private dive operator.

If you look around, you can find someone to accomodate you that also has a good reputation for personal service.

We have found that when we travel as a family, that it is nice to even do a private charter. A little more cost than diving alone but if you have non-divers, they can sun or snorkle while the group is down.

When in Cozumel, we have used Sand Dollar Sports located at the

Reef Club.

Archived