scuba diving and alcohol consumption

lonestartor

I have an interest in taking the certification course on the Paul Gauguin.

I'm wondering before I consider this option how this might limit if at all any alcohol consumption.

Is a glass of wine or two allowed the night before a dive or even after a dive?

I have no diving experience at all and simply do not know.

But , I would like the information before considering my options on whether to pursue certification on the Paul Gauguin ship.

Many thanks

Ps I'm not a boozer

Generally, most dedicated liveaboard boats end your diving for the day after you have your first drink of the day. Drinking alcohol will make you slightly dehydrated, as will caffein, and dehydration is a huge contributing factor for Decompression Sickness. The hot weather is also an issue. Always drink lots of water or juices before, during the surface interval, and after diving. One or two glasses of wine at dinner the night before diving shouldn't be a big problem, as long as you do make an effort to remain hydrated. I wouldn't recommend drinking between dives during the day.

We firmly believe that a frosty cold beer (or 2) helps with the off-gassing, and makes the gear-cleaning process more fun (gear and beer). I usually chase my Corona with a glass or 2 of water for each while I'm doing gear.

Fun aside, as Bruce and Billeellou stated, dehydration is definitely a contributing factor for DCS. Also be aware that the super-dry air from your tank will suck the moisture right out of you as well, so you will need to increase your typical water intake to stay at your usual level of hydration. Drink lots and lots of water, and a couple of glasses of wine, beer, or even a foo-foo or two will be fine.

The night between dive days is a poor choice for a night of boozing. However, I'm sure that I'm not the only one on this board that has tried to balance in full gear on the deck of a swaying, pitching, dive boat, sweating miserably into my wetsuit, just waiting for the plunge into cool water to ease my aching, hung-over head. BTDT.

So I invented a new drink for dive trips: the Diver Breeze. 1/2 Cranberry juice, 1/2 tonic water, with a good squirt of lime on the top. Looks like a drink, tastes like a drink, without the dehydration and bad head the next morning.

Have a great trip and wonderful diving!

Wendy

dive pix (happy snaps underwater)

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

tho you won't get a citation or lose your license.. you could lose something more important. Every diver I know will not drink before diving... and save the alcohol for the end of the dive trip when no further diving will ensue. None have suffered ... all are very much the fun kind of people!

Diving is a very happy, fun Family sport.. that is prefaced with serious training and constant vigilance ! No one wants to see someone be injured or die. So we all pay attention to the instructors; we learn; we listen to our bodies; we are conservative and we enjoy the sport for many many happy dives!

Most every diver on this site I have read are very easy going, "well" adjusted fun people. And they are "obedient" to the laws of nature!

now.. on the other hand.. When I met Capt Don from fame .. he gave a slide show during which he extolled how he and his dive buddies would drink ... I was shocked. But its like Russian Roulette... You may get "away" with it once... and you may not. Personnally I am not willing to risk my life or the lives of others.

Dive responsibily and live to enjoy more!

Archived