Tendering and excursion in Cayman Islands

We are planning to book a private excursion for Cayman Islands. How does this work with the tendering? From what I understand, we book the excursion with the company of our choice and then we take the ships tender over to the island. From there we are picked up by the tour operator? Also after the excursion (StingRays) we want to get dropped off at Seven Mile Beach so do we take a cab back to where the tender had originally dropped us off? We don't want to miss the ship!

Majesty of the Seas 3/02

Monarch of the Seas 2/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/03

Enchantment of the Seas 2/19/05

We are planning a similar excursion in June 05. I know I need to email/call the tour operator directly and get an exact meeting time and location. I am going to request the tour operator stay on "ship's Time"- I expect them to know that! I also oplan to be back on board 2 hours before departure due to the tender. Of course, my nickname is Karenoid- but I saw someone get left behind in St. Maarten once. It was very sad. Good luck and plase let me know how you like it!

Karen

When we were in Georgetown 2 years ago, the tenders moved very quickly. You definitely don't want to get left behind, but it won't take nearly 2 hours to get from the tender dock to the ship. I would just make sure you are there prior to the last tender. The ship will let you know the time of the last tender.

You pretty much answered your own questions. When we went to the Caymans, the tenders took us right to the center of Georgetown, when we got off, we took a cab to the 7 mile Beach, paid a nominal fee to get onto the beach via a hotel area (can't remember the name), and when we were done, we went to the parking lot where there were cabs waiting. I think the whole deal costs $20. :)

You would need to coordinate your private bookings with the expected shore arrival time (from your ship itinerary). You would need to ask the driver if you could get dropped off (might require a little $ incentive) at the 7-mile Beach on the way back...

Have fun, looks like you got things under control... :D

I am going to request the tour operator stay on "ship's Time"- I expect them to know that! Karen
Sorry, but actually most of the independent tour websites will tell you that YOU are responsible for the time change. You can ask, but if you aren't the only family booked on the tour, don't be suprised if it gets laid back in your hands. In the summer, I believe that GC is back on EST so it may be a moot point. But I'd check to make sure.

When we were there the last week of June 2003 there was a time dif. of 1 hour... the ship was 9:00AM and the island was 8:00Am so we were an hour early for our mtg time. We just got some water walked around until the appointed time. We used Nativeway for the stingray/Coral Island snorkel and were very happy... and they either took you back to town or dropped you at 7 mile. We took the AM tour and had plenty of time for shopping/lunch after the tour ended.

Granduer 1999

CCL Victory 2001

CCL Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

Grand Cayman was on Central time last week. It was the same as ship time for us because we sailed out of Texas. I think that ship time remains on wherever you sail out of. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We did the Stingrays with http://www.NativewayWatersports.com and were very pleased. Sharon met us right at the North Dock. She even called me by name before I introduced myself! (Scarey :eek: ) They also offer to drop you off at 7mile beach on the way back to the ship (we didn't have the time, tho). Then you just take a cab back to the port.

When we got back to the docks for tendering, there was a huge line!!! I asked the Rhapsody rep how long it would take and she said about 45 minutes... It maybe took 10 minutes to the tender... thank goodness she was wrong :D then another 10 minutes to load and tender over to the ship.

The excursion is a "must see"

HAve a great one!

A

I've been to Gr. Cayman twice on a cruise already. Both times-everyone waited until the last minute to tender back. If you catch the first tour you still have time to excursion,shop and still be back on board, laying by the pool- drink in hand as others are "herding" back onto the boat. At least that's my preference. I guess my earlier point was that as a customer, it would be good business if the vendor attempted clarity on the time zone they were scheduling their tours. It would be a flag of poor business, or new business if they screwed it up. THAT was my point. We are planning a private tour of about 25 people to Stingray City. It's a blast! My MIL went to the turtle farm and Hell instead, and didn't care much for the tour.FYI.

Karen

also now a days if you want, Nativeway offers a new tour that combines the highlights of the island (Hell, the turtle farm, the rum factory and the governor's mansion) with snorkeling at Stingray City.. though with this tour you don't get the extra snorkeling stop at Coral Gardens. the tour is 4 hours long and costs $40, much cheaper than a ship excurions. the tour leaves at 9:30 am.

and as other posters have mentioned the private tour operators will hold you responsible for the difference in ship time vs. island time... as fam of 14 stated above, i got an almost similar email from Sharon at Nativeway reminding me of the differences between ship time and island time.

When we were in GC 2 years ago we used Burton of AA Transportation Service. He gave an excellant tour of the island, dropped us off at the beach and picked us up at athe agreed time for return to the ship.I highly recommend him.The cost was $20 PP. His web site is http://www.aacaymanislands.com and his e-mail is aatours@candw.ky.

When I set our pick up time I didn't know that there was a 1 hour difference between ship time and GC time so we were about an hour late. He was waiting for us.

tonyt

trouble - i actually don't go on this tour until next wednesday when i am at GC. this is a brand new tour for Nativeway. my assumption is that since the tour is 4 hours, they probably will give us a little bit of time to wander on our own at all of the places. i'll respond to this thread again when i get back and let you know...

caribbeancruisesrock - why do you say you would do it through the ship?

Hi there. I used to be of the philosophy that if you are going on a cruise that it's better to book with the cruise line always. That was on my first cruise a long, LONG time ago. Now, after 9 cruises behind me, I have definitely changed my opinion. One of the last cruises we were on stopped in grand cayman. Every stingray tour that was booked through the ship got canceled that day. However, we spoke to many people on board who said they were glad they booked tours outside of the cruise line as they were able to do the stingray tour. The advantage with booking with the ship is that if the tour runs late, the ship will wait for you. I feel that if you are booking with a reputable tour company recommended by fellow cruisers on these boards, you usually can't go wrong. And using common sense always helps. On some cruises we have seen price difference by as much as $20-30 per person on a tour, just because people "booked through the ship." Definitely the last thing I would do would be to get off at the pier and just find anyone holding a sign for a tour. That's nuts! If you do your homework on the boards, you can easily book a tour without the cruise line.

Both times we were in Grand Cayman, we wanted to get off early. You can go to the purser's desk at 6am to get an early tender ticket. They pass out tickets for the first tender. There is always a line.

Grand Cayman is in the Eastern Time Zone, but DOES NOT observe Daylight Savings Time. Today, 7/7/04 they are 1 hour behind us, 7:30 here, 6:30 there.

Archived