Mariner ? Smoking or Non Smoking Rooms?

FYI, there will be no passive smoke, or even the smell of smoke in the cabin. They use an ionizer machine that completely cleans the smell out. They ran it in our cabin a couple of times during our 11 day cruise and you couldn't tell we smoked in there.
Stretch, glad to hear you couldn't smell the smoke, but with all due respect...it's like asking the fish if something smells fishy!!!!

Bottom Line - It can be a problem depending on who was in your cabin before you and who is around you on your cruise. BBBUUUTTT, you really can't do much about it, so much like the weather, it's not worth worrying about. Hope for the best, deal with the rest! If you get a bad one, have them spray their spray and run their little machine, it will get a little better.

Have a Great Cruise!!

The other thing to remember with the balcony cabins are that if you are sandwiched in between two smokers who are out on their balconies smoking, you pretty much can't enjoy your balcony. We had this happen. We are trying a balcony again this November, but may go back to an outside if we have the same experience. I realize it is all in the luck of the draw regarding who you are next to, but it sure changed our vacation.

sporkov - where did you hear that RCI did not allow smoking in their cabins? I know they do! Again, I always try to be considerate, and ask the passengers on each side of me if they mind if I smoke on my balcony. If they say it would bother them, then I don't do it. Same thing, even when I'm in a designated smoking area, especially if there are kids around.

Yup - all rooms are smoking rooms - you just ask your cabin steward for a couple ashtrays. And the claims that you never smell the smoke are absolutely true. My husband and I both smoke and in every case, we have left our room and even if we've only been gone a few minutes, by the time we get back, you'd never know anyone had lit a cigarette in there!

• 1 month later...
I am an ex-smoker but to all of you who are so disgusted the alternative would be to stay home if you think you will mind any smoke smell. I personally have never found there to be an odor in the cabin. The crew will do what they can but be prepared because all the rooms are smoking...

Sadly, we have had to stop traveling to certain countries because of the smoke. I really believe that those of us who have smoke-related health problems should not be told to just stay home. It used to be that people in wheel chairs were treated similarly, but now in our country, accomodations have to be made for them. I know some of you smokers don't believe this, but some of us really do get SICK. How would you feel if someome infected with a virus or other contagious illness knowingly traveled all about spreading their illness to you? That's sort of what it feels like to us when smokers aren't considerate.

Sadly, we have had to stop traveling to certain countries because of the smoke. I really believe that those of us who have smoke-related health problems should not be told to just stay home. It used to be that people in wheel chairs were treated similarly, but now in our country, accomodations have to be made for them. I know some of you smokers don't believe this, but some of us really do get SICK. How would you feel if someome infected with a virus or other contagious illness knowingly traveled all about spreading their illness to you? That's sort of what it feels like to us when smokers aren't considerate.
I do understand that there are some who get really ill from smoke. My dad has emphysema and COPD from years of cigarette smoking (quit 20 yrs ago) and asbestos inhalation while in the NAVY so believe me I am sympathetic. He must know his limitations, what he can and cannot do and live with them. That's all I was saying. The system is not going to change so you must make decisions that will be right for you and your family or seek other alternatives.

I do understand that there are some who get really ill from smoke. My dad has emphysema and COPD from years of cigarette smoking (quit 20 yrs ago) and asbestos inhalation while in the NAVY so believe me I am sympathetic. He must know his limitations, what he can and cannot do and live with them. That's all I was saying. The system is not going to change so you must make decisions that will be right for you and your family or seek other alternatives.

What do you mean the "system is not going to change?" It is changing and in the future there will be fewer and fewer places where smoking is allowed. Ireland had even banned smoking in the pubs.

One of the biggest problems is that some smokers that don't respect the rules and persons that actually get sick from smoke.

What do you mean the "system is not going to change?" It is changing and in the future there will be fewer and fewer places where smoking is allowed. Ireland had even banned smoking in the pubs.

One of the biggest problems is that some smokers that don't respect the rules and persons that actually get sick from smoke.

You're taking me out of context Dee. I was referring to cruise ships. Not the world in general. And I'm not saying by any means that I'm on the side of the smoker because I myself don't smoke. I'm saying cruise ship staterooms on at least Royal Caribbean are smoking whether you like it or not...

Archived