Proper attire in dining room

doninla

No! Here's an except from the HAL website about dress on casual nights:

Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours.

The URL for this is:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=dressCode

Hope this helps!

Although not prohibited, my personal opinion is that jeans should not be worn in the dining room. It's a venue that deserves more, IMO.

The Official HAL WWW site states the following - "...Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours...."

Dress Codes and more to the point - The lack of enforcement are one of my pet peeves. BUT, then I believe that every night should be a Formal - Tuxedo Mandatory in the Dinning Room :rolleyes:

sorry but i dont see the difference in formal nite dress codes whether on a cruise to alaska -carib--pan canal --mexico --- the hal code clearly tells you what the code for the evening is with no distinction as to where the ship is

i too wish the dress code was more firmly enforced

Wow...I never noticed before that jeans aren't allowed in the Lido..

I think the key phrase is "during the evening hours." At least in Alaska on the Zui last month, evening in the Lido was not just a plain buffet, but was a bit more like the dining room.

During the rest of the day the Lido buffet was VERY casual, to say the least ...

>:-)

I'm definitely a traditionalist when it comes to dining attire BUT my cruise documents for my September Alaska Cruise on Westerdam which I received last week do NOT mention jeans as not being allowed for casual nights. It mentions tank tops, shorts and swimsuits only.

There have been posts from pax over the last months that reflect this change in policy. I don't agree with this change, nonetheless it's here.

GN

Thanks to all that have quickly replied. I didn't think jeans were allowed in the dining room until I saw a copy of the daily program from the Volendam in May. It stated: "Tonight's dress: casual

No shorts, tank tops, swimwear, workout attire or baseball caps." There was no mention of jeans.

I think the key phrase is "during the evening hours." At least in Alaska on the Zui last month, evening in the Lido was not just a plain buffet, but was a bit more like the dining room.

During the rest of the day the Lido buffet was VERY casual, to say the least ...

>:-)

Correct....but I am still suprised to notice that.......and I doubt it is ever enforced in the Lido no matter how "Dining Room -like" the Lido is in the evening.

I'm definitely a traditionalist when it comes to dining attire BUT my cruise documents for my September Alaska Cruise on Westerdam which I received last week do NOT mention jeans as not being allowed for casual nights. It mentions tank tops, shorts and swimsuits only.

There have been posts from pax over the last months that reflect this change in policy. I don't agree with this change, nonetheless it's here.

GN

Ding , ding ding! Grannynurse wins the prize.:)

Just looked in my " Know before you go" book and this is what it says:

"Comfortable,relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts,swimsuits,tanktops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room,Lido Restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours."

The word "jeans" is gone. The HAL website still says "jeans", but this does look like a policy change because they went through the trouble of changing the printing it in their standard cruise book.

Grannynurse is right and the relatively recent difference in documentation has been noted and vetted before, on this board. I believe the conclusion was that jeans were OK in the dining room and the Lido on casual nights, in Alaska, regardless of how many of us felt about it, or not.

The word "jeans" is gone. The HAL website still says "jeans", but this does look like a policy change because they went through the trouble of changing the printing it in their standard cruise book.

Indeed, Sean. There is a discontinuity between the "Know Before You Go" booklets and the website on this subject. Unfortunate, really ... it makes it more difficult to figure out what should be done.

Personally, I dislike jeans and don't wear them except for outdoor labor (like when I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity). To me they are uncomfortable and clash with the atmosphere of the Main Dining Room. Nevertheless, I've seen people wear them in the Main Dining Room without any trouble as recently as this March and the Noordam's maiden Voyage. So, if someone wants to wear them on casual nights, ok.

As has been noted, according to the "Know Before You Go" booklet, they are permitted. But I won't wear them. :)

I still wonder why it is necessary to remind people not to wear ball caps inside. I thought they were designed to keep the sun out of your eyes at a baseball game, hence the name "ball caps". Am I missing some fashion thingy since I don't wear one inside? What's worse, a ball cap or a bad comb over?

I guess I'm the exception since I don't even own a pair of jeans. Gave them up when I got an inside job. I could see wearing them to cut the grass or paint the house I guess.

Grannynurse is right and the relatively recent difference in documentation has been noted and vetted before, on this board. I believe the conclusion was that jeans were OK in the dining room and the Lido on casual nights, in Alaska, regardless of how many of us felt about it, or not.

Missed the earlier vetting on that. Probably should leave out the word "Alaska" because this is a fleetwide publication.

Unless you meant the personal preferences of most posters regarding jeans in the dining room only in Alaska.:)

I still wonder why it is necessary to remind people not to wear ball caps inside. I thought they were designed to keep the sun out of your eyes at a baseball game, hence the name "ball caps". Am I missing some fashion thingy since I don't wear one inside? What's worse, a ball cap or a bad comb over?

I guess I'm the exception since I don't even own a pair of jeans. Gave them up when I got an inside job. I could see wearing them to cut the grass or paint the house I guess.

The ball cap part did make me chuckle. Makes me think that a lot people have been doing it so that it had to be mentioned in a dress code policy.:)

*giggle*

Sorry, but this all tickles my funnybone a little. I'm thinking specifically of the jeans my kids would love to exclusively wear -- the ones that cost over $100 a pair! Those jeans cost more than any pair of slacks that I own! ;)

I do like jeans, and wear them often. I actually did wear a white pair to the dining room on the Zaandam on a casual night, and I felt as well-dressed, or moreso, than some of the other passengers. As to the Lido, jeans would have been a step up for a lot of people! This Alaska cruise was *extremely* casual. (Several people wore their bathrobes to the Lido...)

I tried not to be too casual (even jeans can be dressed up) but dressed mostly for comfort. What other people wore didn't bother me one way or the other. :D

Missed the earlier vetting on that. Probably should leave out the word "Alaska" because this is a fleetwide publication.

Unless you meant the personal preferences of most posters regarding jeans in the dining room only in Alaska.:)

Tinknock: I don't know what I meant. How's that for an honest answer?

Too bad HAL doesn't fix the discontinuity between their website and the "Know Before You Go" booklet. As Greg noted, it just adds to the confusion.

Its not unusual to see the website as the last to get the changes.

Of course, maybe HAL is afraid to touch it after the major meltdown last time!:)

Was on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in July. Wore jeans in the dining room on casual night for dinner. We had four. Practically everyone was wearing them.

I do agree that jeans should not be worn in the dining room in the evenings.

????

I make my living as a tradesman/carpenter and live in jeans /shorts for a living..

Although feel very comfortable in wearing them, when on a cruise/vacation I do my best to dress for the occasion.

There are cruise lines that have very open policies when it comes to dress codes.. I hope HA does not too get liberal on this policy..

That is why we have a choice in cruise lines..

Just a opinion:rolleyes:

Was on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in July. Wore jeans in the dining room on casual night for dinner. We had four. Practically everyone was wearing them.

I do agree that jeans should not be worn in the dining room in the evenings.

isnt that a contridictory (sp) statement -- you wore them for dinner but yu also say they should not be worn in the d/r in the evening

Archived