Universal Studio Questions/NCL Dawn

lsabe

I will be sailing on the Dawn Aug 8th with my wife and son with his girlfriend.
(different cabins) WE are contemplating a trip to Universal Studios, but can't decide if we should rent a car, get express tickets or use NCL's excursion program. Does anyone have some suggestions. Also my wife and I are in a mini-suite no. 11552. If anyone has been in or near this room, is it a quiet location. Would appreciate your comments.

On our last two cruises we went to Universal after the cruise. If you can work it out the best thing to do is stay at one of the Universal resorts. We always stay at the Hard Rock. By staying on site you get front of the line access to all rides by using your room key. You can get your room key as soon as you get to the hotel even though your room may not be ready till later. So if you stay just one night you can actually use your room key for front of the line for two days. You may want to check out the disboards website, their is a ton of Universal info there. If I can answer anything else let me know. BTW the new Mummy ride at Universal is awesome. Maybe the best amusement park ride ever imho. Have fun

KJ

Hi. When we went last year in late August, the lines to leave the Dawn for the excursion buses wrapped around deck 7. There were hundreds of people waiting to get off. You have to swipe your keycard to leave the ship hence the loooong lines. It is convienent though.

I talked to people who did rent cars as a family or group. Biggest issue is returning the car. Some places close before you return, so you have to hoof it back to the ship on your own. You could drop off your family then the rental car, but you would have to leave the park that much earlier. Another hassle is some rental places do not have a shuttle to and from the ship so you have to cab it both ways. In the end it may cost you almost the same if you took the NCL shuttles.

Also, you going at the height of the summer season. Lots of people in hot humid central Florida! Is it worthwhile to spend that much money for just 1 day? Perhaps a vacation for 3-4 days might be better, IMHO.

I hope that helps. Please feel to ask further questions. Good luck.

I have to agree with fkwok --- central florida amusement parks in the summer are pure misery --- this is from someone who has annual passes to all of them! Avoid them if possible in the summer months. It is so hot that the sweat begins to pour the second you step in the sun and it never gets any better. Even after the sun goes down, it's hot and humid. Not to mention the crowds! The wait time for most attractions will be 60-75 minutes for the really popular rides to 45 minutes for the less popular rides. The best time to visit any of these parks is late Sept-early November and January-early March. The weather is perfect and the crowds are much less. The only way to see the park at this time of year is to stay at one of their 3 hotels on site. The no line hotel acess cards make it possible to actually ride most of the rides in a day. Here's a link: [url]www.universalstudios.com[/url].

P.S. My DH agrees, the Mummy Ride is awesome!

When we were on the Dawn this past June we rented a car from Hertz
I reserved the car in advance using AAA and the cost for an small sedan was around thirty dollars for the day. When the ship docked, we called Hertz and
the Hertz shuttle picked us up at the pier and it was a very quick ride to the Cocoa beach office to pick up the car. At the time Hertz ran the shuttle up until 7:00pm to accomodate the cruise ship passengers
We did not go to Orlando, but used the time to visit Ron Jons Surf shop and then headed up the Kennedy Space Center
There were other car rental vans picking up passengers at the pier as well

[quote name='mmceachn']When we were on the Dawn this past June we rented a car from Hertz
I reserved the car in advance using AAA and the cost for an small sedan was around thirty dollars for the day. When the ship docked, we called Hertz and
the Hertz shuttle picked us up at the pier and it was a very quick ride to the Cocoa beach office to pick up the car. At the time Hertz ran the shuttle up until 7:00pm to accomodate the cruise ship passengers
We did not go to Orlando, but used the time to visit Ron Jons Surf shop and then headed up the Kennedy Space Center
There were other car rental vans picking up passengers at the pier as well[/QUOTE]

Great idea!! KSC is a short drive from the pier and very interesting! Definitely worth a visit!

Hi guys can anyone tell me how is the mummy ride in universal studios is it good? how is it? I suggest you take ncl tours the express and the standard package, another thing now they have disney package which now the tickets are including to the park before it was just the transfer to the park, the cost i think is $109.00 .........:o

One note on getting the express option on the ship's excursion. I have read several times on the boards here that it is easy and cheaper to just pick them up at the park. You might want to do a search on the boards and see. If the Mummy ride is better than the Spiderman one, it must be awesome!! :)

The drive to Universal from Cape Canaveral is just over an hour as I recall. Maybe an hour and a half but not longer than that. The express tickets are $30 at the park (in addition to the admission price of approx. $52 per person). There is a limited number of express tickets available each day -- on busy days, it sells out early. The limited number is to insure that the express lines are not long. According to DH, Spiderman isn't even close to the Mummy Ride!!! You are in for a big treat!! Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your feedback. I called Universal Studios and ordered the express tickets which I have already received. There is definately a savings in doing it this way. We are renting a car in Cape Canaveral from Hertz
(Mazda 6) for 43.00 all inclusive of taxes etc. They have a shuttle at the pier and will take us to the rental station. We will make sure we get up early on the day of arrival so we can get off the ship as soon as possible. I believe if you have a suite, you can get priority embarkation. Is this true???
We have been upgraded to an AC cabin.

Hi Isabe -

I saw that you were upgraded to an AC. I know I am being nosy but can I ask from what category and if it cost you or how it happened? We are currently in an AF and hoping for a cheap upgrade!

Thanks - Karolyn

Hi Karolyn,

I called NCL and asked for the upgrade. I was originaly also booked in an AF.
The cost was 300.00pp Considering the actual cost of the Cabin, this is not a bad price. Maybe as you get closer to your cruise, they may reduce that cost even more. AT the beginning they wanted 450.00pp about 4 weeks before cruise time. At three weeks they gave it to me for the above cost.
Hope this helps.

Archived