New England/Canada - Carnival Victory

cls45

We are going to Boston, Portland, Saint John, NB, and Halifax, NS on 9/23/06 on the Carnival Victory. I would like to know what the daytime temperatures in these ports will be during that time of year. What are the best tours to take? Is it best to book tours through Carnival or do independent tours - I've heard the ship doesn't wait for you if you're late getting back and you've booked an independent tour. Also we arrive at LaGuardia at 8am. We were told we could not go to the ship until 2pm, sail time is 4pm. Seems like we won't have enought time for sightseeing, plus we will have all of our luggage with us. Any input on this?

You will most likely be able to board the ship by 12 noon.

We are on the same cruise on 8/26.

I would pack for chilly weather in Sept as Carnival reccomends a sweater for August in Canada.

It is your choice as to book shore tours with or without CCL.

But the ship will not wait as you stated for independent shore goers.

If a CCL bought tour is late they will wait for it.

I do not know if you can check your luggage at the ship and then go off and sightsee. Can anyone else answer.

I do know that there are no more storage lockers anywhere in NYC.

We are going to Boston, Portland, Saint John, NB, and Halifax, NS on 9/23/06 on the Carnival Victory. I would like to know what the daytime temperatures in these ports will be during that time of year. What are the best tours to take? Is it best to book tours through Carnival or do independent tours - I've heard the ship doesn't wait for you if you're late getting back and you've booked an independent tour. Also we arrive at LaGuardia at 8am. We were told we could not go to the ship until 2pm, sail time is 4pm. Seems like we won't have enought time for sightseeing, plus we will have all of our luggage with us. Any input on this?

CLS45,

You will find more info on this cruise under the Canada and New England message boards. I have read there that it can be chilly and a sweater or sweatshirt might be needed.

As far as boarding the Ship, I have read where most people get on the ship between 1100 and 1230. I know they say you can't board until such and such time...but if the ship is ready for oncomers they will let you on early.

Maybe you could sight see when the ship returns?

I am one of those people that freak about missing the ship...we have this same cruise booked for Sept 15th, 07. Please write a review when you return.

Have a great cruise!:D

Expect the weather to be cool in the mornings and evenings and cooling off even more late at night. If the weather is good you can expect the temperatures in the low to mid 70's during mid day. But then again it could be cold gray and raining. There is a good chance that a lot of your time at sea will be in fog.

We arrived to board at about 11:30 am. We were on the ship by 12:30 eating lunch and enjoying the view. We had picture perfect weather. Beautiful hot sunny days and cooler nights. But we were told this was the exception. booked our own tours both ports. Had a private tour in St. John and took the harbor hopper in Halifax. Try these sites

www.murphysonthewater.com, www.freedomtours.com When we called them direct they were so nice, helpful and friendly. We traveled with 13 yo, 17 & 23 year old children and we all loved the harbor hopper tour which gives you a beautiful tour of the city and then lands in the water to view the harbor.

Hi, we got to the passenger ship terminal at 11:00am and were boarded at 11:55am. Our room wasnt ready yet but we were able to go get some lunch on the lido deck and did some exploring.

I dont see why you cant ditch your luggage at the pier, the porters will take it from you, and come back. But I would be a little nervous about getting stuck in NY traffic and being extremly rushed.

I took the Harbor hopper tour in Halifax, my first time there, and it was very nice. But the weather was chilly and drizzly, and that was in July! I do NOT reccomend the Nova scotia tour and lobster boil, the tour part was ok, but the lobster part was a real rip off.teensy little lobster, a roll, a small pile of soggy lettuce and 4 muscles. A very tiny piece of cake and water. coffee. Was not worth it for the price, which was 99.00 per person.

Hope this was helpful, have a great trip!:D

To the OP

I live just a bit south of Portland. I'm curious as to what excursions are offered.

The city of Portland is a great little city and you could just wander on your own very easily. There are lots of pubs and wonderful restaurants and shops and the people of Maine are friendly and basically wonderful.

The weather in S. Maine that time of year is fabulous (in my opinion anyway:) ) You can expect day time temps to be mild...usually somewhere in the 70's but that doesn't man it can't reach into the 80's. Nights will be cool...most likely in the 50's.

I live in NYC and took the Victory in july. Take a cab to the pier and drop your luggage then have the cab take you to the tour bus site. I see them all over town but the link below tells you where to get them. Otherwise just google NYC bus tours and you can get your pick. You should have enough time for a couple of hours riding around to see the sights and then make it back by about 3 pm for boarding. Anyway, have fun New York is beautiful in Autumn

http://www.nyc.com/guided_tours/Gray_Line_Downtown_Loop_Bus_Tour.76218/editorial.aspx

I have lived in Boston my whole life and would offer any assistance you might need at my stop!

The weather - well, it's New England. The saying goes "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change." :D That time of year, it'll likely be in the high 40s low 50s in the mornings, then could get into the mid-70s during the day. Likely that it'll be in the 60s, so prepare for that. If you are used to warmer weather (if you live in a warm weather climate), that'll be cool for you, so pants and a light sweater would do. For us that's cause for T-shirts and shorts! :D

TOURS - what tours are they offering? Duck Tours are kind of cool. They are amphibious vehicles that travel both on land and on the water. Ours take you on the Charles River after going through Boston. Other than that, I'd be glad to find out more for you.

What else can I help with? I love living here and will be glad to help.

Roberooski

We are also on the Victory in September, arriving at 2pm and leaving at 10pm. There is a Duck tour but we are split between the Freedom Trail and Fenway Park. Both tours leave at 2:30 and arrive back around 6pm. I'm not sure where the victory docks. We'd also like to have time to shop.

Any suggestions. This is our shortest port stop.

i will be on this cruise on the 9th through the 16th. in boston i am going to go to the visitors center and get the audio set-up for the freedom trail and take it at my leisure. i also have co-workers who want me to get them t-shirts from '' cheers ''. of course i will have to have a few beers there and something to eat. in halifax i am going to take the whale tour with '' murphy's on the water. it is about $40 and sounds like a good tour. i love to see the whales and i take a tour for them anytime i can. besides that i am just going to wander around and shop, eat and enjoy the ports. i am going to dress for early fall and hope for no rain :) .

have a great time. music

If you are a history buff, this is a nice treat, especially if the weather is nice. It is a loooong walk, so keep that in mind when deciding. If you like to look at things leisurely and stroll a city like Boston, this is a great trip.

(just a side note: Boston really isn't THAT big, so don't worry. Where the cruise ships come in at Black Falcon Terminal isn't really that far from Downtown)

Duck Tours are just plain FUN - with history about Boston, sightseeing (from a moving vehicle).....again, a great trip if it's nice out. (If the weather may turn, pack a poncho. They don't take up much room at all and are easy to pack and well worth having!)

Fenway Park - I'm a baseball fan and if you are too, this would be great. Seeing the Green Monster up close, walking onto the field, seeing (and smelling!! LOL!) the locker rooms, sitting in the dugout....REALLY cool.

CHEERS....just remember, it only looks like the set from the outside. It's absolutely nothing like the rest of the set on the inside. It's kind of dark and the ceilings are kind of low. Just want you to have the right expectations. You can get the TShirts just about anywhere and there is also a restaurant/bar in Faneuil Hall Marketplace (Quincy Market) that is themed that way as well.

Side note: Faneuil Hall Marketplace is a really cool shopping area (if you are famililar with London, it's kind of like Covent Garden). Neat little shops, restaurants, etc. GREAT people watching!! :D There are little shows at one end of the Quincy Market building (no schedule, per se).

From there, the North End isn't very far at all. Italian food - Mike's Pastry (YUM!!!!), some history. Really great place. The restaurants have open air walls (I don't know what else to call these things!) so that you almost feel like you're sitting on the street.

What else?!?! lol!!

Edited to say: If there are any questions or conversations you'd like to have offline, you can email me at robindemoy@comcast.net

Roberooski

CLS45 - I am so glad you asked this question! We are also on the September 23rd sailing of the Victory, and I have been checking out the average temperatures online. I'm hoping it is somewhat cool at that time, anything is better than this extreme heat!! I am really looking forward to some cooler weather!!:)

roberooski, thanks soooo much for making my stop in boston a better one already. i will look for the t-shirts at the shops. i do want to go to faneuil hall to browse around, shop and eat. boston sounds great. i am glad i havent paid for a ship tour. i know i will get more out of the port on my own. :)

music

If you need any maps or anything (ya know, the touristy kind!) let me know. I'm happy to get anything you (or anyone else) needs!

My DH works downtown and can get stuff for me if I ask nicely! :p

Roberooski

I would love to have directions to the Cheers bar if you don't mind :)

Is located in the basement of the Hampshire House. It's in the heart of historic Beacon Hill, just down the hill from the State House.

http://www.cheersboston.com/bh_directions.htm

These are the directions to it. I would advise using the public transportation system (the MBTA or commonly called "The T") It's an easy way to get around.

Cheers is right next to (across the street from) the Boston Common which is just across from the Public Garden (where the Swan Boats are http://www.swanboats.com/new/welcome.shtml) These are a traditional Boston "thing" (think Make Way for Ducklings - the book).

This is a beautiful walk on a nice sunny day, but can be a loooong walk on a rainy day! LOL On the far side of the Public Garden is Newbury Street (famous shopping area - many VERY exclusive shops)

Ummm....I know you just asked for directions to Cheers...:o (I told you that I LOVE living here!)

Roberooski

If you need any maps or anything (ya know, the touristy kind!) let me know. I'm happy to get anything you (or anyone else) needs!

Roberooski

thanks so much for the generous offer. i received some more visitor stuff in the mail today so now i have great maps and things of boston.

thanks for the offer though.

I wish sometimes!! No responsiblities, no problems with bosses.....lol!!

I'm in marketing - and looking for a job. Anyone out there looking for someone AWESOME like me?!?!

Roberooski

I appreciate the information! I have never been to Boston. Will late September be too early to see any fall color there? I sure hope not. Will the weather be fairly cool? I am on the Sept.23 Victory cruise.

Roberooski

a quick ?. have you heard anything about hot-air ballon rides on the 10th of sept. in a brochure i have they mention it but i would like to know if it is being advertised in boston for a event for that day. i would love to do it if it is not to difficult to get too from the dock. thanks

trvllover - Late September is probably the PERFECT time to see the fall colors. It starts right about then (you'll likely see more in Portland, ME than in Boston just simply because it starts further north) and goes through mid-October.

The weather could be on the cooler side. Plan on mid-60s during the day and cooler at night. Bring a light sweater or a light windbreaker-type jacket and you should be fine. It isn't unusual to have unseasonably warm or cold weather - it's New England after all!

musicmansmom - I haven't seen a single thing about hot air balloon rides but looked it up when you mentioned it. It's a tethered balloon on Boston Common and the 10th is the last day it'll be available. Here's what I found online: The AeroBalloon will fly daily, weather permitting, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Due to afternoon breezes, the optimal times for balloon flights are from 7 a.m. to noon and after 5 p.m. After sunset, the AeroBalloon is illuminated from the inside becoming a soft glow in the night sky. Overnight, or during poor weather conditions, the balloon is safely moored to the ground via multiple outer mooring lines. Reservations will be offered this year each day during the 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. time slot at www.aeroballoon.com.

Tickets for ages 13 and older are $15 per ride. Adults may bring up to two children age 12 and under for free. An adult must accompany the children to take advantage of this offer. This year, Aeroballoon is offering a hotline at (617) 226-3860 that will feature daily updates and weather conditions.

Roberooski

Archived