Nursing Mothers: Breastpump?

my2sons

I think I've pretty much resigned myself to bringing my big 10 yr old Medela Pump In Style, but still thinking of ways to avoid it. Has anyone ever rented a pump in Seattle? I know you can do it, but not sure how it would get returned. I'll call about it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear your experiences. I think I remember reading that people who brought them never used them... but we will have other family members on the cruise so I'm hoping for an opportunity to get away with DH once in awhile. I could just give the baby formula, but I'm extremely paranoid about keeping up my milk supply (just my own personal "thing") so I don't want to get in the habit of missing feedings.

Also dreaming of having a couple of cocktails some evening and might need to do the ol' pump n' dump!

I don't have any answers but wanted to say "YEA FOR YOU"!!! I'm being induced by the end of the month (on bedrest now) and we are planning a June cruise. I am hoping to still be breastfeeding then - so I am definitely following these threads! We do have family members who will go with us, so I can definitely see a need for bringing my pump. Good luck with your qwest!

Well congratulations on your impending birth! My little guy will be 7.5 months on this cruise and I really think it's going to be fun. He's at such a cute age. I hope both your birth experience and your cruise next year are everything you hope for.

Hi

I'm planning to bring my Ameda Purely Yours on our trip in October - I pump every morning to have milk to mix with DD's cereal. It can run on batteries as well as electric. I probably won't pump a full feeding for her while on the trip, though we usually just go out after she *hopefully* goes to sleep with Grandma and Grandpa sitting.

I think that it's good to be vigilant about your supply - I know several former nursing moms who were a little lax about feedings, pumping and couldn't get supply back up. (Just FYI in case you're not aware, pump n dump isn't necessary with alcohol, unless you're just trying to keep up your normal feeding time by pumping at a specific interval and it's too soon after a drink to use the milk safely. The window is 30 to 90 minutes after a drink - although I usually wait until her final meal and then have my "treat". But after 2 hours per drink the alcohol is low enough in your bloodstream and out of your milk to feed again.)

And congrats to MandyGirl - your first? I was induced, 9 days late - unfortunately ended in C-section but we've been happily breastfeeding for almost 9 months. :)

Thanks, ladies! Yes, our first. :) I am really hoping to BF as long as possible - the benefits are so worth it from everything I have read! I'm a teacher, so it will be hard when I go back to school but not impossible. A former asst principal has really been a huge supporter on getting me mentally ready for those challenges of trying to teach and still BF, so her support has been fantastic. Our daughter should be about 10 months when we cruise and I'm aiming for 12 months. It is so good to see threads like this supporting it on a cruise as I have seen such negativity from some people (off the boards).

Thanks for the advice on beverages and milk supply! I'm ready for that glass of wine and haven't touched a drop since finding out we were surprisingly pregnant!:) They are planning to induce me 2 weeks prior to my due date with my borderline blood pressure, so I should know for sure this week at my checkup. Thanks for the best wishes!!

I think I'd find room for the PIS, especially if that's the pump you're used to. Pumping is a challenge anyway, and you may not respond the same to a strange one. I totally understand not wanting to let your supply drop, I was the same way. My dd is now almost 16 months old, and still nursing. I quit pumping just after her birthday, and still have a 2 week daytime supply at the sitters! She nurses at bedtime only now, but I'm debating bringing my PIS on our grownup only cruise next month just to keep up my supply...and stay comfortable if I get engorged. :)

I am also a nursing mom and a maternity nurse, but I wanted to offer my suggestion, If ypu PIS cam with a hand pump attachment you could just bring that and hand pump, take some time to practice now before you go, this would be a much lighter option. Medela also makes a great hand pump called the Harmony, and the Adveny Isis is also a great hand pump. I have the Isis and I call it my cereal pump, I use it for an ounce or two 3 times a day and also use it to pump whole feeds. Let me know if you have questions. Happy Sails!

Thank you all for your support and advice!

cruisinbug: I appreciate the details regarding alcohol in breastmilk. My DH is always telling me it's OK but I don't trust him, I suspect he's just trying to get me drunk to take advantage of me :rolleyes:

NanciRDH: You're right, it would be too much of a crapshoot to rent some unknown kind of pump - I really didn't think of it that way.

ryanandsara'smom: When I first had DS, now 4.5, I didn't think I'd need an electric pump but really never got the hang of the hand pump - I think it's the Isis. Maybe I'll haul it out and give it another try - it would sure make things easier.

first-timer question... would pumping an ounce or two mainly be for engorgement? I have bought several of the 4-oz bottles as I understand the milk is like gold - keep it in small quantities.

I pump 2 oz each morning for mixing with cereal - I've never bought any bottles larger than the 4 oz ones that came with my pump. The storage bags I have go up to 6 oz so I have 4-6 oz in each of those (I try to store min of 4 oz for a feed).

Now, that being said, I have a friend who's exclusively pumping since her little boy has a painful latch. She can pump 18 (!!!) oz at one sitting. The more you use your pump, the easier your milk lets down to the pumping. The most I've ever pumped is probably 6 oz. A baby is much more efficient at extracting milk than a pump, especially if you don't pump often.

There are a lot of good milk storage systems that let you freeze in 1 oz cubes - then you just thaw out however many cubes you need for the feeding.

I just breastfed whenever the baby needed it. You are never more than 5 minutes away from the room anyway.

The refrigerator in the cabin is cold, so you can store the pumped breast milk and have others feed your baby. But I don't think the fridge will fit larger 8oz bottles. I didn't feel like having to wash bottles on the ship, so I just breastfed the baby. If you bring bottles, you'll have to bring your own dishwashing detergent, bottle brush, extra nipples, and a rack to park all those empty bottles, caps, and nipples. There is really no counter space near the bathroom sink for you to wash and dry these bottles.

Freezer space in your cabin's refrigerator is not enough for you to freeze your breastmilk on board.

I even breastfed the baby in the main dining room. Of course I was sitting with 8 others in my family and no one cared, but I made sure I was covered and didn't reveal anything I wasn't suppose to reveal in public. Maybe the waiter was aware of it, but certainly other diners wouldn't have noticed the breastfeeding.

I really don't see the need for the breast pump, unless you use bottles exclusively and/or your baby has trouble latching.

I just breastfed whenever the baby needed it. You are never more than 5 minutes away from the room anyway.

The refrigerator in the cabin is cold, so you can store the pumped breast milk and have others feed your baby. But I don't think the fridge will fit larger 8oz bottles. I didn't feel like having to wash bottles on the ship, so I just breastfed the baby. If you bring bottles, you'll have to bring your own dishwashing detergent, bottle brush, extra nipples, and a rack to park all those empty bottles, caps, and nipples. There is really no counter space near the bathroom sink for you to wash and dry these bottles.

Freezer space in your cabin's refrigerator is not enough for you to freeze your breastmilk on board.

I even breastfed the baby in the main dining room. Of course I was sitting with 8 others in my family and no one cared, but I made sure I was covered and didn't reveal anything I wasn't suppose to reveal in public. Maybe the waiter was aware of it, but certainly other diners wouldn't have noticed the breastfeeding.

I really don't see the need for the breast pump, unless you use bottles exclusively and/or your baby has trouble latching.

I pretty much feel like you. I have never brought a pump while traveling and don't plan to do so this fall, either. One of the reasons I breastfeed is the huge convenience of not having to drag along stuff everywhere I go.;) Also, the very best thing you can do to keep up supply is to continue to nurse the baby. Of course, my son nursed so much that if I pumped in between, all I would be do doing is pumping and feeding, LOL :p And, yes, I've even been known to have a drink or two without dumping. Somehow my son is a brilliant 3-yr-old in spite of that. :D

Either way, it's so nice to be seeing so many moms actively engaged in a conversation on how to make breastfeeding and traveling work for each of our individual situations!!!

I was only able to exclusivly pump for my daughter and took my pump in tow on several trips until she was 11 months. I had a 5 year old Pump In Style, but also rented a Lactina for my office.

For several reasons, I would discourage renting a pump for such a short period of time. For the rented pump you need to buy an adaptor kit (around $35) which makes it clean and safe for each new user. Most rental places only rent by the month ($50-55) a month. Also, the rental pumps are much larger and louder than the Pump In Style. I assume that yours is in the "leather" carry bag which should be easy to take on board. If you do rent a pump, be sure to rent the Lactina since it has the same pumping rhythm as the PIS. You can go on the Le leche website to find rental places at your cruise port.

After I figured out the expense, I actually went ahead and bought a Pump In Style Advance in the backpack, which was a godsent since it was much quieter that the Lactina and had a gentler suction feature.

Whatever you choose to do, be proud of youself for making the decision to give your baby the very best.

• 1 month later...

Needless to say, I was still a little sore from my C-section, but DH & I decided that I needed a little break from Baby_G and went on a weekend hop on the Sovereign of the Seas.

I was (still am) breastfeeding so I took my functional, yet OH-SO-NOT-FASHIONABLE, PUMP-IN-STYLE along with me. I'd pump & dump three or four times a day, based on how I "felt".

It's not fun, but it works in a pinch. Cleaning my parts was difficult, and leaving them out was a little embarassing, but needless to say, it was a nice break and it worked for a Mommy that was still feeding.

My DH always made fun of me though, while I was pumping in the room: we were in a corner room and people would walk by and we'd hear them saying, "WHAT IS THAT NOISE?" You pumpin' mommies know what I'm talking about! :D I wonder what the neighbors thought?!?!?!?! HA HA HA

Lady_G & Baby_G

You guys make me laugh. I pumped and worked as an international flight attendant working transatlantics for four months (bfed ds for a year). I used the Isis (try removing the rubber bladder) and did have to tell my coworkers, one of whom mooed outside the lav (grrrr!)

I didn't return to work after dd and never used the pump again. I could go out for 2 hours without any problems. Only really long absences justify the pump IMHO. I also never used bottles for the younger two. Cup feeding works fine in a pinch without the fuss of fixing the bottles.

We haven't actually cruised yet but both girls were in p/t daycare from 7 months on, the entire morning. We go out sometimes and we've used kids' clubs for all three on various vacations like Club Med. I never used a pump for any of that.

If a mom feeds right before going out and the babysitter can reach her, I don't think it'll be that difficult to skip the pump on a ship.

As far as supply is concerned, be sure to drink enough, liquids, not alcohol lol! Easy to forget on vacation with so much going on.

If I read right, Lady Game, you managed to leave your baby yet continued to bfeed? Good for you! I used to get engorgement bam! at feeding times, even with the time difference. The batterie pump was definately a good move. My Isis would hurt my supply after a work trip.

Glad it worked out!

Archived