Does RCI have age restrictions for infants?

There are no age restrictions but consider the child's low immunity at that young age around that many people from all different countries. Also, I would be concerned if any health issues arise for a child that young. The infirmary may not have the specialized equipment or medication that may be required for infants. Also, most likely the child will not be sleeping through the night by then which will not make your neighbors very happy. That being said, the child is very "portable" at that age but you will have to lug a lot of equipment with you- stroller, carseat, formula, diapers, etc.

There are no age restrictions but consider the child's low immunity at that young age around that many people from all different countries. Also, I would be concerned if any health issues arise for a child that young. The infirmary may not have the specialized equipment or medication that may be required for infants. Also, most likely the child will not be sleeping through the night by then which will not make your neighbors very happy. That being said, the child is very "portable" at that age but you will have to lug a lot of equipment with you- stroller, carseat, formula, diapers, etc.

I soooooooo agree w/you!

I am in total agreement. I would never subject a child that young to being around all of those people. I also feel that I personally would not want to be in a cabin next to one with a crying infant. That is why we always book a cabin between two doubles. Cuts down on the possibility of having neighbors with kids.... JMHO

I don't have kids yet, but I think this is an interesting topic. I for one, will not end my life when I have children! My husband and I will continue to take nice vacations and carry on our life with our children, while we will have to make a few adjustments. I have seen plenty of small infants on the four cruises that I have taken! As long as the cruise line allows it, you can bet that my husband, infant, and I will be cruising within a few months after the child is born. I think it would be a great way to relax and "go with the flow." It would be a different kind of vacation, but I think it would mean great family bonding time without the day to day interruptions of life!

I say go for it as long as mom and baby are doing well!!! Perhaps if your neighbor doesn't like the sound of a crying baby you could turn a radio up really loud. Perhaps they would prefer that!

We just got back yesterday from the Grandeur of the Seas and there were 600 Kids on board including my 3, Our youngest son is 6 Months old and he behaved very well, he slept thru the night everynight and if he did act up around other guest we just got up and walked asway from the activity.

As far as other guest goes, they kept coming up and saying how well the baby acted and also the ships staff kept coming over, he got so much attention and we were on the 9 night cruise out of Baltimore.

Just so the OP knows there is definately a lot to bring for an Infant we had to bring his formula and all of his food and diapers, but by the end of the week, there is a suitcase leftover for everything you bought.

In the cabin it is very tight the cruiseline will supply you with a pack and play, but you also must get your stroller in your cabin. We decided to let him sleep with us in our bed and only had the stroller with us in the cabin.

Enjoy

Tom

I don't think booking between doubles assures you won't have a baby in the room next to you. A double cabin can have a crib. The parents must still pay the 3/4 rate for the child, but -- so long as it won't put the passenger number above the permitted manifest number -- you can put a crib in a double.

Sorry to deliver the bad news! If you don't want a cruise with children, you have to book something other than RCCL.

Most babies who are three months are sleeping through the night. As far as I have seen, most parents of small children are hyper aware of their kids making noise and do everything in their power to cut it off fast. Some don't, but those people are also rude in other areas of their life.

I did get a kick out of the post that said that someone is not going to change their lifestyle when they have kids. Those of us who are parents know that no one knows how to parent like someone who has no kids. Not change your lifestyle. That's a good one. LOL!

I don't think booking between doubles assures you won't have a baby in the room next to you. A double cabin can have a crib. The parents must still pay the 3/4 rate for the child, but -- so long as it won't put the passenger number above the permitted manifest number -- you can put a crib in a double.

Sorry to deliver the bad news! If you don't want a cruise with children, you have to book something other than RCCL.

What I said was that booking between doubles lowers the chance of having kids in the cabin next to you. We have been cruising for over 25 years, even when my son was young. We were, however, extremely careful to not put ourselves in a position where we would inconvenience our fellow travelers in any way. And, yes, our lifestyles did change when we had a child. Anyone who says it does not, is in for a rude awakening.

And by the way, we have been cruising on RCCL for most of those 25 years, and will continue to do so. We will not be run off by those who are so selfish, insensitive and inconsiderate to think that the vacation is about them alone.

Most babies who are three months are sleeping through the night.

Although this is a popular belief, it's also a myth! (Sorry, Nancy!) Take it from the mother of a child who was five months old before he slept through the night--six months is the average age at which children will sleep through the night. I know--I was so exhausted that kept asking our pediatrician! :)

And the American Academy of Pediatrics defines "sleeping through the night" as six hours....which may not be enough for an exhausted parent--or for neighbors on board. (It certainly wasn't for me!)

Having said that, I'd encourage to trek the child along. As young as the baby will be when you travel, even if s/he does wake up at night, it's likely that his crying will be disruptive only to the one sharing a room with him. Their crying is fairly quiet.

It amazes me the people who automatically assume those who would bring their kids aboard are inconsiderate. As has been stated, most kids that age are sleeping through the night. Secondly, if the crying persisted, a considerate person would take the infant to a public area away from staterooms. Third, most infant crying isn't very loud and probably couldn't be heard in the next room.

However, I must also add that your life doesn't have to drastically change when you have a child. We take our 2-month old daughter everywhere. Really, other than disrupted sleep patterns for the first few weeks and a slightly more scheduled existence, not much has changed. We both go out to dinner, play in sports leagues, go on trips, whatever. There's a lot more stuff to carry, but you deal with it.

We are not taking our daughter on our Sovereign cruise this week for a several reasons: we want some time alone with each other, we're not keen on leaving our kid with a stranger, and her grandparents are falling all over themselves to have her for an extended period.

In short, do what makes you and her parents comfortable.

Nope, no minimum age restrictions.

About the child's immunity, no judgement here. Just my own personal story. My daughter who was 7 months old at the time did get a virus onboard a cruise ship, seized for over 40 minutes, and spent 2 days in the ship's hospital before being medically evacuated to Port Canaveral Medical Center.

Did it stop us from cruising completly, nope. We are booked on FOS in April. Did it scare the beejeesus out of us and make us take a year off of cruising....yup.

Now of course there are many infants that cruise and NEVER get sick. We just happened to be one of the unlucky ones. :(

We do not have any children. However, we have never been disturbed by children on any of our cruises. In fact there was a two month old 2 tables over from us in the dining room on one of our cruises who was better behaved and quiter than many of the adults.

So please do bring your children on board. I especially love Pirate Night!

I did get a kick out of the post that said that someone is not going to change their lifestyle when they have kids. Those of us who are parents know that no one knows how to parent like someone who has no kids. Not change your lifestyle. That's a good one. LOL!
But they are willing "we will have to make a few adjustments"

Just a note to people who don't have kids.

Before kids.

Adjustments are for when you fix your car or bike.

you adjust the tempeture of your house.

you adjust the cruise control on your spors car.

after kids

You adjust what time you will pick your kids up after baseball

you adjust your vacations because people you know who make 1/2 the money you do,with no kids can take better vacations than you do.

you adjust where you eat dinner out at, that fancy small romantic place you use to eat at has been replaced by a burger and fries on a plastic tray.

I have 4 kids so I know what I am talking about!

" I for one, will not end my life when I have children!"

LOL

Me either but boy have I come close. :eek:

When my kids were teenagers, there lives came close to ending many many times. Like the time I found drugs in his room, and when he got arrested, and when he cut school, or the time one of them came home drunk, or wrecked the car........... and the list goes on and on

I personally can't imagine anything more unappealing than cruising with an infant. My son didn't sleep through the night until he started kindergarten (seriously) and my daughter wasn't much better. Also, I can't imagine taking an infant to the beach or pool as hot as it is. I can't imagine going to the shows with an infant, dining in the dining room, taking excursions, trying to bath one in those tiny bathrooms, and the list goes on. For me, this definitly would NOT be a vacation, just a trip to you know where. But, that is just my opinion.

In answer to the original question, no there are no age restrictions that I know of.

My daughter is due to have her baby in April and we are considereing booking our cruise with them in July.

Are their any restrictions on the age that an infant can be brought onboard?

Based on the info given, her baby will be approximately 3 months old.

First up is, no baby sitting service is available:

Children MUST be at least 1 year old.
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do#18

Secondly (though probably not an issue)' date=' no pool access:

You children in diapers/pull ups/swimmers may not use the pools/Whirlpools, even if accompanied by a parent/guardian.
[PDF] http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/General_Policies_July_2006.pdf

------

It is well within anyone's right if they choose to take their children on a cruise, but bear in mind that it will be as much of a full time job as it is at home.

I've only encountered one family with small children that did not qualify for the Adventure Ocean program. They were prominently walking about with the stroller and a two year old for the first few days, but then disappeared off the radar. Someone with a cabin nearby them said they worked out a system where one parent stayed in the cabin with the children while the other did an activity and then they swapped places. With more adults on the cruise, this could be a viable option.

Regardless, I'd consider asking a pediatrician for advice on health fronts and if, in general, they would advise a cruise at that age. I'd ask that with consideration for both the child, and the parents/adults.

WOW dak_friendly! They must have just added that 1 year old babysitting requirement in. Many have asked at CC and the response has always been 6 months. And many people have used the baby sitter with a baby under 1. Thanks for the info. I have looked at the site for the min age and never saw that line until now.

And Tamilyn - both of my kids started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks (and they were both bf). Feel free to hate me ;)

Hi! I haven't done the research myself, but a friend with a new baby was told that babies must be at least 3 months old in order to go on the cruise (He picked a different vacation). I would definitely call the cruise line to confirm before making any plans.

Good luck!

I am the one that originally started this thread and never expected this much controversey over a question of whether or not a 3 month old is allowed on a cruise ship (RCI).

Our family goes on vacation once/year....I have three older daughters who are married and a 13 year old daughter who will be 14 when we cruise next July. Unfortunately, two of my daughters work for a company that only allows vacation during the last two weeks of July since the company shuts down at that time. That is why we are forced to go on vacation at that time. My daughter who will be having the baby will be accompanied by one of my other older daughters (and her husband) and my wife and I with our 14 year old daughter.

We look forward to these special family vacations each year and with this being our first grandchild, we are very excited. We feel, that as a family, we can all "chip in and help" and still enjoy our cruise. We of course will check with the pediatrician to make sure a trip is adviseable. I can only say that all my daughters traveled with us to many places as infants (although not on a cruise) and we are hoping that the experience will be as rewarding as it was for us when we had young ones.

As far as concern for other passengers, we of course will do everything possible to keep the baby happy and quiet. I have been on many cruises and have been awaken at night by teenagers fooling around in their cabins or in the hallways. I chalked that up as part of the family cruise experience and understand that if I chose to, I could cruise on ships that do not allow children and cruise without my kids.

Just one more question and I will continue to watch this thread with great interest.........Has anyone had a similar experience that I will hopefully have next July?

Thanks for all of your comments (both positive and negative....it has been interesting!).

Don

Don, I too posted about this - I have a 2 month old baby. Here is the email I received from RCCL:

RE: Age Requirements

Dear Ms. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We apologize for our delayed response. There are no age requirements to sail on our ships.

Keep in mind, however, guests of any age will be required to pay the full fare.

Ms. XXXXXX, we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon. Get out there (sm).

Sincerely, Steve Zywicki

Crown & Anchor Society ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? Call: 1-800-526-9723, 9 AM to 11 PM EST, Monday-Friday, 10 AM to 8 PM EST Saturday-Sunday(Outside the United States or Canada: +1-316-554-5951)Visit our Web site: http://www.royalcaribbean.comE-mail us: crownandanchor@rccl.comWrite us: Crown & Anchor SocietyP.O. Box 026053Miami, FL 33102-6053

They don't sound very keen for you to bring them do they? I think I'm going to wait until this time next year....

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived